PDA

View Full Version : Airbag Removal / Steering Wheel Replacement

Cheyne
03-07-2004, 03:26 PM
I just bought a 2004 SVT Cobra that I'm going to race in the SCCA Touring 1 class and when the car gets here I need to remove the airbags and I want to replace the steering wheel with a Personal Wheel with a quick release.

Has anyone taken their airbags out and if so how hard was it?

Thanks.

Cheyne Daggett
www.daggettracing.com

Mystic_Cobra
03-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Try in the American Iron forum. It's required for them, too. Some of those guys can help. I'm going to be asking the same question later this year.

Brandon @ Apten
03-29-2004, 10:48 PM
To remove the airbags there are a few bolts and that is it. Disconnect battery and let car set for about 1/2 hour. On steering wheel there is if I remember correct 2 bolts holding the airbag to the wheel they are located on the back side left and right. The passenger side is a little tricky but still not to bad.There are 3-4 bolts holding it in and you get to them by lowering the glove box, and moving the heater hose to get to the bolts and then it slides straight out and unplug it. Hope that all makes sense.

Cheyne
03-30-2004, 10:15 AM
To remove the airbags there are a few bolts and that is it. Disconnect battery and let car set for about 1/2 hour. On steering wheel there is if I remember correct 2 bolts holding the airbag to the wheel they are located on the back side left and right. The passenger side is a little tricky but still not to bad.There are 3-4 bolts holding it in and you get to them by lowering the glove box, and moving the heater hose to get to the bolts and then it slides straight out and unplug it. Hope that all makes sense.

In the end I bought the dvd manual for the car. Very good instructions on the removal of the air bags and many other things I'm taking out of the car. The computer for the air bags was the hardest part of removing the system. If I had waited until I pulled the dash complete out it would have been easier since it is behind radio in the dash frame. Now the air bags are part of a large pile of stuff that I won't be putting back in to the car, along with the drivers seat, the door panels, driver and passenger windows, the radio and speakers and the complete A/C system.

Cheyne

Brandon @ Apten
03-30-2004, 11:07 AM
WOW you going all out on that thing. That is awesome in my opinion. What else do you plan to do for weight reduction?

Cheyne
03-30-2004, 11:59 AM
WOW you going all out on that thing. That is awesome in my opinion. What else do you plan to do for weight reduction?

I can't remove much more. I have gutted the trunk and I'm removing wires from the harness that are no longer used. In SCCA Touring 1 the car has to weigh 3780 with driver at the end of the race. Since I weigh close to 275lbs it will be hard to get down to 3780. My main competition in T1 is the Corvette, which makes up about 99% of the class right now, and they weigh about 3280.

So far I have swapped the exhaust with a Magnaflow cat back, swapped the air filter for a K&N, ordered a Predator, put new front brake lines on from Steeda, new wheel studs from Steeda, PFC 01 front pads and 90's in the rear, the roll cage goes in next week, and my replacement drivers seat (Sparco Evo3) should be here next week. I'm still waiting to hear back from the SCCA Comp Board on making the Steeda Sport Springs a alternative to the stock springs. If they approve them I will also put the Steeda ball joints in. I'm going to run the first race (May 1st at Gateway) with the car before swap shocks, which most likely will be Koni's since they meet the T1 rules for a shock swap.

If the car turns out to to be up to par with the Vette's in T1 we will be moving it over to Grand-Am Cup GS this year instead of waiting until next year. Then I can gut the rest of the car, except for the dash and swap over to coil overs, I will most likely use DMS Americas 50mm coil over struts.

Cheyne