PDA

View Full Version : Weekend at MSR

JoeJ
03-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Guys,

We sure had a great time at the NASA event at MSR this past weekend. We had great weather and a great turnout for the racing groups. I ran in the Race Craft HPDE group Saturday and Sunday. The car ran well with the new delrin bushing in the rear IRS.

I had two of the NASA instructors run with me on Sunday morning and after being pushed and kidded a bit by some of the other AI drivers, I got my NASA provisional License and ran in the first race on Sunday. I was put in the rear as I did not have any qualifing times. MY OH MY but what a rush. It was soo busy with all the traffic the first few laps. I passed a bunch of cars but really don't know how I finished up. I kind of over-drove my car and the brakes and tires stared going away after about 25 minutes of the 30 min race.

I am not sure I will continue with this as I sure did not like what I saw in the last race of the day. There was some serious bumping among the leaders of AI. I sure dont want my Cobra R messed up because someone is over aggressive.

I sure would recommend anyone who wants to go wheel to wheel racing, check out NASA as there is a bunch of great guys running in this series.

Firme
03-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Joe, I was supposed to go, but couldn't :(

glad you had fun, you think your times improved by much with the delrin?

Hope you can make our TWS event this year

Levi
03-09-2004, 12:31 PM
CMC and AI, you people are AWESOME...............:thumbsup:

At the MSR NASA DE we got a lot of track time with three 40 minute sessions each day. I did like 250-300 miles ontrack for the weekend.

This was one hell of a weekend, my only regret was I did not have a camera.

johnbasf
03-09-2004, 01:22 PM
The bumping in AI should NOT be tolerated. Got any in-car Joe??

JoeJ
03-09-2004, 02:19 PM
John,

Sorry, I didn't start my camera in the race..Man I wish I had as it was something else. Close racing, diving to the inside to pass, etc. One of the competitors got disquailified due to the contact and both drivers are on probation for the next three races. That should get the point across about the aggressive driving and bumping in the turns. There is always a chance for contact just due to inadvertent spinning, etc without it being intentional.

johnbasf
03-09-2004, 04:33 PM
That's good to hear that they were disqualified and put on probation. Glad you had fun Joe. :thumbsup:

Admiral
03-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Joe,

Was great to see you out on the track with us on Sunday. Although it is true about the contact in the last race of the weekend, overall I'd give it "two thumbs up" for a race event.

Also, can you say "Bobby Archer"? Seems nobody else will say anything, so I'll keep my comments offline for now on that subject.

I agree with you about the contact, would hate to see something bent on that beautiful car of yours!

johnbasf
03-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Admiral, Adam sent me some pics, nice ride. Glad you guys had a good weekend. What car does Archer drive?

Levi
03-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by johnbasf
Admiral, Adam sent me some pics, nice ride. Glad you guys had a good weekend. What car does Archer drive?

Viper.

The car was awesome, I just can't say the same about his driving.

Admiral
03-09-2004, 07:16 PM
John, thanks for the compliment on the car. Just a beater that I happen to be in love with after last weekend ;)

Stan, I never got to see Archer's car up close (except coming out of Little Bend while he was lapping me and costing me the lead in AI, but that's a sour whine for another type of cheese..........

johnbasf
03-09-2004, 07:18 PM
How many AI/X-CMC cars were there? Adam mentioned your incident.:(

Admiral
03-09-2004, 07:29 PM
John,

Not counting Joe J's brave journey into the AI field, we had 7 AI cars IIRC. In CMC there were 3. Not stellar numbers yet but considering this exact weekend last year I was the only AI car and there were NO CMC cars I think we've grown quite a bit. We didn't have our own run group so we had 27 total cars on the track with AI/CMC included in that number. The Archer Viper made #28 but he was light years faster than any of the rest of us.

For reference, Archer was qual'd at 1:18 and my fastest lap all weekend was a 1:24.3 at MSR.

johnbasf
03-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Mike, not a bad car count. We had some killer cars run with us last year.:eek: It's going to be interesting to see our car count at CMP in April. Did you get any video this past weekend?

Admiral
03-09-2004, 08:07 PM
No video, we ran off and left all the camera gear at the house. No big deal, I usually forget to turn it on anyways. As is the case with every race weekend, certain moments stand out and I wish I had them on video.

We did a standing start in Race #1 that was memorable, short description:

I'm in starting position #3 behind pole-sitter Becky Laughlin in her purple race Porsche 911, the flagman prematurely waves the green flag and as I dump the clutch at 4G's (hey, I was excited!) and squeal by her I see Becky's reverse lights come on!! I actuallly remember thinking "that can't be good" as I screamed by her right side, lol.

Needless to say, that was the end of standing starts that weekend as Becky was a sitting duck while 26 cars blew by her sitting still - and grinding on the gearbox. In defense of Becky, who is VERY fast and VERY experienced, the green flag waving was a complete surprise to many of us, I was just "inexperienced" enough that I happened to have the motor revved and the T-5 in gear already just in case..............

Admiral
03-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Lewis Tanner of CC.com has posted some pics:

http://www.slappypappy.com/NASA/index.html

Admiral
03-15-2004, 10:27 AM
That's good to hear that they were disqualified and put on probation. Glad you had fun Joe. :thumbsup:

No Disqualifications, just probation.