PDA

View Full Version : x factor?

ian white
03-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Will be installing a set of fms shorty headers. My first problem is which x pipe with cats too use? magnaflow seems to have the least problems according to stangnet polls . Second? is there a noticable increase in HP? Lastly will they sound good with my flowmasters and will they pass emisson tests thanx

tcrews
03-10-2004, 04:20 PM
As long as the pipe has cats it'll sound good with your flowmasters. If you went with an off-road pipe it'd sound like crap.

Your only real choices (for a quality pipe) with cats is Magnaflow and Bassani. I'm a Bassani guy so that's what I recommend, but both are nice.

BBK makes a horrible X pipe, VRS is decent, Dr. Gas makes a great off-road pipe........Magnaflow or Bassani would be your choice.

smashedheadcat
03-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Dr Gas pipe here. I have the pipe, not installed yet, but I've heard nothing but awesome reviews about it though. It is not stainless like Magnaflow or Bassani, but powerwise, this seems to be up there with power. Also, the Dr Gas pipe comes in pieces, so be prepared to either weld it, or take it and have it assembled and welded. This pipe offers the most ground clearance due to this feature, but I've never had ground clearance problems with any pipe, and I have longtubes. I read awhile back from a Magnaflow rep, that Magnaflow and Dr Gas are the best pipes out there for power. They put the "X" in a better position than all others. His comment on Bassani was good, but he didn't have good things to say about the Cats bassani used.

Josh

Lumpydogs
03-11-2004, 07:04 PM
I've got the Magnaflow x-pipe w/cats and Magnaflow mufflers. The sound
is great both at idle and WOT. One quick goose of the throttle and the
other cars on road take notice. The only minor downside is that
I get a slight drone noise at 1800 - 1900 rpm. Normally this wouldn't be
a problem except that with the 4.10 gears I usually cruise around town
at about 1800 - 2000 rpms. My wife doesn't like the louder exhaust.
So I tell her "Get in, Sit down, Shut up and Hold on!" or mayby I said
"Yes Dear, I'm Sorry" I can't remember anymore. ;)

Magnaflow X-Pipe w/cats is a real nice piece of equipment. The fit was
great and the crossover pipes sit up high which is important on a lowered
cobra.

nckissfan
03-11-2004, 07:18 PM
I know my arm would be bruised if I told my wife that! :D It is yes dear for me, nah I haven't opened it up with her in it yet. One day though, one day.

ian white
03-13-2004, 07:26 PM
I've got the Magnaflow x-pipe w/cats and Magnaflow mufflers. The sound
is great both at idle and WOT. One quick goose of the throttle and the
other cars on road take notice. The only minor downside is that
I get a slight drone noise at 1800 - 1900 rpm. Normally this wouldn't be
a problem except that with the 4.10 gears I usually cruise around town
at about 1800 - 2000 rpms. My wife doesn't like the louder exhaust.
So I tell her "Get in, Sit down, Shut up and Hold on!" or mayby I said
"Yes Dear, I'm Sorry" I can't remember anymore. ;)

Magnaflow X-Pipe w/cats is a real nice piece of equipment. The fit was
great and the crossover pipes sit up high which is important on a lowered
cobra. Thanks for the advise ! will phone shm monday and order them. Since they are half hour away i will pick them up . About the wife thats why iam buying the x pipes.