PDA

View Full Version : Forum Upgrade --- New Features and questions. (updated 3-17-2004)

Firme
03-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Hello all,

As you can tell, the forums have been upgraded to version 3 (were on 2 before) and the server has been migrated to its new home. For the most part, we tried to keep the look and feel the same. In the upcomming days, more features will be added and some things will be re-shifted to where we are used to having them

For the next couple of days, you might see the address of the club appear in number form in your address bar, but once the move is complete, everything will be back to normal as far as www.svtcobraclub.com (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/) appearing. Once that happens, you might want to update your favorites if you have a bookmark to the forum as the address will change from www.svtcobraclub.com/svtbbs2 (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/svtbbs2) to www.svtcobraclub.com/forums (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums).

-Edmond

********New features with VBulletin Version 3********
( I will try to keep adding to this as questions come up).

Smilies: We now have more smilies to pick from

User Actions: with version 2, things like "Profile" and "PM" were little icons that ran along the bottom of someones post, now, with version 3, to access those, simply click on the underlined screen name, and a menu drops down with those options.

Thread Titles: If you hover the mouse over the thread titles, you will see a preview of what the post contains.

WYSIWYG (real cool new features):This is a new personal preference feature. Its really cool. WYSIWYG stands for "What you see is what you get". And it is just that. The new VB3 has a feature that you can use to be able to use WYSIWYG in your post edit box. Basically, when you are typing a post, you will see it as it would appear on the forum, simliar to how Microsoft Word works, instead of the tradition way in which you see all sorts or garble code. Also, when you add a smilie to the post, you will actually see the smilie instead of the code words. I would advise peopel try this out and see what they think. To change this option,
click on USER CP, the on the left control panel, click EDIT OPTIONS. Scroll all the way down, and change the option to look like this picture and click save changes. (one thing to note, if you copy and paste something from another WYSIWYG programe like Microsoft Word into the Forum WYSIWYG edito, it will copy the formatting)
http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/images/misc/wysiwyg.jpg

Private Messages:is your PM box at its limit? do you want to empty it, but have PM's that you just don't want to get rid of? Well, VB3 has the solution for you. While in the main page of the Private Messaging area, scroll ALL the way down to the bottom and you will see an option that states Download all Private Messages as : XML | CSV | Text Click on your export file type of choice (text being the simplest, or do all 3 if you are unsure) and the system will do a dump of all of you private messages including inbox and sent items for you to save on your computer. Now, you can completely empty your PM's (don't forget to empty the sent items) and have a clean slate while having a backup of your old PM's. :thumbsup: Also, now, when you get a PM there is a indicator on the page that lets you know (those who have gotten one, know what I mean) so you can dissable the popup message to open your PM's in a new box if you had it enabled. You can also click on the "NEW PRIVATE MESSAGE" graphic to go straight to your PM's.

Forum Color: You can now pick from different color "skins" to customize the way you want the forums to appear. You can do this by scrolling to the bottom of the page and using the "Quick Style Chooser" on the left side, or you can go into your "usercp", under "Edit Options" and it is the very last choice "Forum Skin". There are lighter skins available for those that desire them. They will help see the smilies better, but if someone used a light font in a post, you might have to highlight it with your mouse to read it.

Questions?: if you have questions, post them here and I will update this post with the answer.

Mystic Cobra
03-12-2004, 10:01 AM
I really like this new look and feel
:clapping:

and all the new smilies.

Once again Edmond and Tony, thanks so much for all your hard work in keeping this club and site top notch!

venomous
03-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Nice job with the boards Edmond! by the way, are there any racing smilies??? :D

Firme
03-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Nice job with the boards Edmond! by the way, are there any racing smilies??? :D
Thanks, I found a couple, I am looking for better ones before I add them, but you can be sure a few will surface. If you have seen any that you like, let me know and I will check em out. :headbang:

venomous
03-14-2004, 11:22 PM
I tried getting on my svt email address today and it sent me to the yahoo mail site. Whats up with this??? Could it be because of the website upgrade??? :doubt:

Firme
03-15-2004, 07:13 AM
I tried getting on my svt email address today and it sent me to the yahoo mail site. Whats up with this??? Could it be because of the website upgrade??? :doubt:
YES... I was wondering how long it would take for you guys to contact me:bounce: ;) :p .

Anyone who has a svtcobraclub email address need to contact me. Reason being that since svtcobraclub.com moved server, the account moved to. Since I don't know you guy's passwords, I had to make up one and I need to give each individual with the svtcobraclub.com email a link to log on and chang the password to what they want it to be.

The new setup for email allows pop3 (checking with outlook) and internet login to check email.

I will PM you the information to do get you setup.