PDA

View Full Version : too chip or not?

ian white
03-13-2004, 05:49 PM
Just wondering are chips a good HP investment? Also can they do any damage to the engine? If not whats a good chip thanks MODS/ fms 373 gears ,shorty headers, all driveshaft. mac air induction,5.0 pro shifter,march pullies, bilstein BTS system, bbk casters, magnaflow x pipes/cats, flowmaster mufflers.

Firme
03-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Just wondering are chips a good HP investment? Also can they do any damage to the engine? If not whats a good chip thanks MODS/ fms 373 gears ,shorty headers, all driveshaft. mac air induction,5.0 pro shifter,march pullies, bilstein BTS system, bbk casters, magnaflow x pipes/cats, flowmaster mufflers.A chip is not always the best HP investment, as in most cases it requires changes to intake/exhaust flow to make a difference, unless the car came with a bunch of bottle necks from factory that a chip can resolve.

Having said that, you can gain a few ponies with a chip. Chips can be the key to keeping your engine safe or the bomb that blow it up. It depends on who tunes it and if its an off the shelf or custom tune. Obviously, the custom tune (if done right) is much better than a off a shelf chip, as the custom tune ensure the chips fits your application. I have seen people use off the shelf/mail order tune chips and blow an engine because of extreme lean conditions.

I like Superchips, and moreso SCT Superchips.

venomous
03-13-2004, 11:59 PM
I have always been a big fan of the Diablo chips. Dorito Chips are good too!!! :D:thumbsup: ;)

tcrews
03-14-2004, 11:00 AM
For the mods you have listed I don't see a chip doing much if any for you at all. First you need to dyno your car to see it's A/F ratio and what power you are making. If there are any issues (too rich, too lean, etc..) the dyno chart and A/F ratio will let you know and you can have this "fixed" with a chip typically. Also a custom dyno-tuned chip is your best bet.

If you just order a chip you may actually lose some power or make the engine run a little rougher. You may gain 1 or 2 horsepower but that's definitely not worth the price.

A chip is best used for making ALL the mods you do work together well or to aid in supercharged/turbocharged/nitrous applications. If you have very few mods, especially very few engine mods, a chip is a waste of money. Again...if there is something wrong with your car from the factory a chip could help you out.

Get on the dyno, make sure they have A/F ratio measuring equipment and go from there.

ian white
03-20-2004, 08:51 AM
Thanks tom will get her on the dyno and check out a/f ratio