PDA

View Full Version : Wheel hop w/ Franken-stang

Twice Bitten
03-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Just got the sl'03 (Franken-stang as Andy calls it) back from Mario the Cobra suspension expert :thumbsup: . Wheel hop has been decreased by approximatily 85%. :D What an improvment. I did my first 3k clutch dump on the car, it left 2 SOLID black marks till I ran out of gear. :bounce: Car no longer feels like you are in an earthquake, while launching in first gear :D . Need to say thanks to David and Mario for helping me out with the beast. Side note, the violent shaking of the engine from the new cams has torn my air filter off of the maf plate :( , if it's not one thing it's another. Can't wait to install the delrin bushings all the way around the R :cool:

Firme
03-13-2004, 06:49 PM
good deal on the wheel hop :bounce:

if only I had your troubles of all that horsepower :jk:

Carl G
03-13-2004, 09:42 PM
Bad boys and bad toys! What a great combination :thumbsup: :wildguy: :raise: :hail: :hail: :hail:

03 cobra toy
03-14-2004, 10:59 AM
The cops are looking for you !! :crazy: :D

Twice Bitten
03-14-2004, 11:15 AM
The cops are looking for you !! :crazy: :D

How did you post a picture of my car in your sig.? :ttiwwop: :grinangel

Andy M
03-14-2004, 06:20 PM
So, Franken-Stang is under control now huh?... let me know once you've got a real roll cage in that Monster and I will ride with you again... maybe?... :rolleyes:

rpalmer
03-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Can you give us an idea of what Mario did to fix the hop?

-RP

03 cobra toy
03-14-2004, 09:13 PM

-RP

We installed this kit...see links

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114702#post114702

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5665&highlight=delrin

Twice Bitten
03-14-2004, 09:22 PM

-RP

I started with adjustable shocks, then did the max. motorsports irs bushings, then the delrin and aluminum bushings last. With each step of the way, the wheel hop has gotten better. It is not gone all the way, but it is to the point where I do not think the car is going to fall apart. About the only things left to do are softer springs in the rear and or a solid axel swap. Now if I can get Jerry the Supertuner down here again, maybe I will hit the magic # of ?00 rwhp :D :thumbsup:

Firme
03-14-2004, 09:37 PM
I started with adjustable shocks, then did the max. motorsports irs bushings, then the delrin and aluminum bushings last. With each step of the way, the wheel hop has gotten better. It is not gone all the way, but it is to the point where I do not think the car is going to fall apart. About the only things left to do are softer springs in the rear and or a solid axel swap. Now if I can get Jerry the Supertuner down here again, maybe I will hit the magic # of ?00 rwhp :D :thumbsup:?=7

I think stiffer dampners and higher rate springs would help cut down that last bit (instead of softer), but at the same time, it would kill your weight transfer. The fact that you have a drag launch type QA1 coil-over setup, is semi causing the remnants of your wheel hop on the street. At least thats my take on it from seeing the car progress and driving in it, depending on how it reacted to the QA1, and how other IRS has reacted to high rate springs and dampners.

I'm gonna find a smilie like this :burnout: that hops up and down and call it Larry :jk: