PDA

View Full Version : CMP Report...

98banana
03-13-2004, 09:48 PM
Saturday was a wonderful day for most. Weather was nice, just a little cool. I got to meet some people I've only seen on the forum here and am REAL glad I have. Joel finally has a face and so does a bunch of the Corvette guys. Very cool bunch.

John Pearson is doing a fabulous job. :thumbsup: Thanks you very much.

The Morans, at this point, are probably headed back to Canada with a broken rear control arm. It sure was great seeing them again though!

I went home after the first session with a loose steering rack. The passenger side wheel would actually wobble enough to change toe by about 1/4". After many phone calls trying to find a rack, we determined my weekend was over, so I decided to head home put it on the lift and tear into it and figure out what the problem may be. Dan Caudil came with me and helped out and it turned out the passenger side inner tie rod ball joint was toast. That's what happens when it's lacking grease! I called the local dealerships, plus a few others with no luck in finding one. I decided to do a last ditch search and after 12 dealerships, I finally found a parts guy that knew the deal and I was on the way on a speed trek to Bobby Jones in Augusta, GA. What a great dealership! They actually let me pay over the phone and had the part waiting at the sales desk since they would be closed by the time I got there. So, 140 miles and $21 later, I had the part! It's now in the car, the car is back on the trailer, and I'm heading back to CMP at 5AM! :bounce: :bounce:

I wanted to mention that at least 2 club members actually offered to let me drive their cars since mine was dead. To them, I say thank you! You guys are awesome.

Firme
03-13-2004, 11:45 PM
makes me wish I could be there :(

sorry to hear about you car troubles, :thumbdwn: but I'm glad you found the part and are going back :burnout:

b_tone
03-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Can we hear more about the rear control arm that failed? How was everything else during the weekend?

There is a quick blurb on CC.com about the nashville event.

It was nice on Saturday with a great race for the AI win,then rained all day on sunday.

More later.

98banana
03-14-2004, 08:07 PM
I'll let the Morans post more detail on their control arm problem.

Weather was great today. It actually got a hair warm, but very nice overall.

To my knowledge, not a single mishap occured as far as offs or wrecks. Very well behaved participants and a great job by the corner workers. Lots and lots of track time today. I think I had either 6 or 7 sessions. That made up for all the down time yesterday.

As for me, I'm extremely impressed with the Focus. I had to go to street tires after my first 2-3 sessions because of a small hole in the front left that looked like it could lead to tread seperation. Going to street tires was the best thing I did all day. I was actually running faster with them on than the "sticky race tires". I think it's a combination of the street tires being much better than I thought, and the race tires being old and used up. I'm looking forward to some hoosiers now...:D

SIUNARA
03-15-2004, 01:05 PM
Thank you to everyone that made this event possible...Tony, John, Jeff, Lisa, Clarence, and others...it flat out ROCKED!! :thumbsup: I had a great time and was amazed at the amount of track time we had!

Tom, what a blast ripping around in the Foci...they are great cars...that we will make even better for next year. Gloat now Tony, because next year will be a whole new ball game with the SVTF! ;)

Thanks to Will for his sponsership of the AI ride along program...I can't even decribe how much fun it was to drive that car!! :thumbsup: :bounce:

Looking forward to next year already...

98banana
03-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Tom, what a blast ripping around in the Foci...they are great cars...that we will make even better for next year. Gloat now Tony, because next year will be a whole new ball game with the SVTF! ;)
That's alright... Lisa knows the true story. :D Really though, Tony has shown a lot of improvement since the last time I saw him on a track. Now, if we can just pull him back from that steering wheel! :D

There's a few other drivers out there that need some recognition of skill. This is a short list as there are many others...
Don: You were flat out smokin' in that Focus. I'm assuming this was your first time on track with that car. Awesome driving man!
Craig: Dang dude! I'm sure it was the BMS roll bar and SFC's that made you go that fast! It couldn't have been the MM coil-overs! :D
Jimmy B.: I passed you in the first session on Saturday because you were new to the track. Sunday, when you were in Pearson's car, you blew by me like I was going backwards. I hear rumor of a 1:53 in his car!!! Dang dude, get your car ready for AI and you'll be a contender!
Lisa: You "ride ****!" :D

I know there was a lot of other kick-a$$, safe driving out there, but unfortunately, my car was a little too slow on the straights to hang around anybody for too long to watch. :thumbsup:

rshelbygt
03-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Thanks to Will for his sponsership of the AI ride along program...I can't even decribe how much fun it was to drive that car!! :thumbsup: :bounce:

Looking forward to next year already...

Same goes to Bryan Shugg...thanks for letting me take your car out for a session!!! That car is absolutely incredible!!! I have already started the MM savings fund.... I appreciate that opportunity more than you'll ever know...

It was great to see all of you again. I'm very glad that Will made it through the weekend without any mechanical issues...it was nice to actually get to see him tearing it up on track. It was also great to pull into CMP on Sunday morning and see Tom back with the Focus. Tom, Great job getting the car fixed for Sunday :thumbsup:

Pearson (and everyone else involved with this great event)...Awesome job planning/organizing this track event!!!!! I saw alot of smiles around the paddock all weekend...looks like everybody had a great time :thumbsup:

nckissfan
03-15-2004, 03:02 PM
I had a great time on Sunday. Thanks to Tony, and Lisa for making my wife and I feel welcome. I think my friends Dennis, and Tina had fun as well. It was great riding with Tony. He is not as bad as y'all make him out to be. Although, he does sit way too close to the steering wheel! :D I can't wait for the next time that I get to hang out with all you guys!!

Hazman
03-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Thanks to all of the folks involved with arraigning this event and helping it run so smoothly. We had a great time!! Next year I will take Monday off so I can hang around and take full advantage of Sunday afternoon.

And a special thanks to John for all the work he put into this and for putting up with all of us. You done good John. :thumbsup:

By the way I forget to pick up my two rolls of Charmin I won. When can I get those????? :D

johnbasf
03-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Finkelstein for a great job with tech and all the running around he did.

Rich Riley for another great job at race control. Thanks for keeping the event running smoothly. Nice stool Rich. Marge Riley also helped out Tony with registration.

"Big C" Clarence Milstead, you stoood out there all weekend even though you were not feeling good. Thanks for jumping in on grid and helping out. Oh yea, you too Lisa.

Instructors, without you guys there is no driving school. This group was the best I've worked with. Not one had any complaints the whole weekend. I hope to see all of you back next year.

Tony Sorrentino, without you there is no club. It was great to see you out there having a great time.

If I missed anyone I apologize. Thanks for a Great Event.

Craig Mathis and Wife, awesome cooking and hospitality.

johnbasf
03-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Jason,Will and Jimmy http://maximummotorsports.com/ I talked to them today and they are ready for your calls. :D :D

97whitevert
03-15-2004, 08:03 PM
First: thanks tony - with out you none of this would have been possible!!:bounce::bounce::hail::hail:
John- GREAT job of organizing! i think everything went very well and heard no complaints! :bounce::bounce:
Tom- :nope: :nope: not I.. :rotf: :rotf: :grinangel :grinangel thanks for the ride! i do know the REAL story!! :edmond: <------- (this should really be named tony ;) )
Mike S.- thanks for the rides!!! that z is an awesome car! and that kink!! :hail: :hail: :thumbsup: :bounce:
jimmy B.- Awesome ride!! thanks!!! :thumbsup: :D :D

It was great to put some faces to names! and it was great to see old friends we have not seen in awhile!! As i have said before, this club is a teriffic group of people-- old and new members alike!! Thanks to EVERYONE that came out and made this event such a success; participants and spectators! we could not have asked for a better weekend in any way, shape or form!

johnbasf
03-15-2004, 08:13 PM
I feel like a dolt. I forgot to thank the people who supported the event, the drivers. It was great to walk around and see a :D on everyones face. Thanks for the reminder Lisa. :thumbsup:

We also had a visitor from Texas!!! I don't remember his name but he was headed up north and detoured his trip to stop by the event. Siunara(Don) gave his daughter a ride in his SVT Focus. :thumbsup:

johnbasf
03-15-2004, 08:15 PM
I let Jimmy Bost put my camera in his car. I watched the in-car today and I think Jimmy is ready to take the leap to AI. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Jimmy, can I make you a VHS? You got several runs on tape. You had a lot of fun in the autocross section. :eek:

timz06
03-15-2004, 09:58 PM
Thanks to everyone, us vette boys really enjoyed beating up on the mustangs! There were a couple of fast mustangs out there, the red 93 cobra r was right with me, as well as the black LX who was running really close and I finally let by on Sunday as I was tired of pushing the car hard! Sammy really was fast with his coilover suspension, a huge difference from last year. Was looking forward to running with John, would have been close...Sammy clocked me at 1:51 sat am thinking it got better, but who knows? Sun am after 2 sessions I went thru the kink at high speed behind sammy, I messed up and lifted and kicked the rear end out. Brought it back in and then heard a noise. In the pits found out that a large bolt that holds the rear brake caliper onto the spindle had fallen out! I think I might not have torqued it down properly. Went out and tried to find a new bolt but to no avail. Came back and Lee was kind enough to let me drive his M3 one session. Had fun, but I need a lot of practice to drive that car well. When I was packing up saw John and Sammy running on an open track. Wish I could have gotten out there, but I got plenty of time in and had a great time.

Calvin_1976
03-15-2004, 10:24 PM
What a great event. Good weather, track time and people plus I got to put more faces with names.

Craig - Thanks again for the place to stay and hospitality.

John - Thanks for all the hard work that made the event run so well.

Tony - Thanks for that point by between 7 & 8 :D

Don and Jason - It was good to be out on track with the both of you after having it sit and watch last year at VIR North.

Tom - It was good to meet you finally and we have to get together sometime this year about getting a cage in the car. :thumbsup:

I cant wait for next year.

johnbasf
03-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Thanks to everyone, us vette boys really enjoyed beating up on the mustangs! There were a couple of fast mustangs out there, the red 93 cobra r was right with me, as well as the black LX who was running really close and I finally let by on Sunday as I was tired of pushing the car hard! Sammy really was fast with his coilover suspension, a huge difference from last year. Was looking forward to running with John, would have been close...Sammy clocked me at 1:51 sat am thinking it got better, but who knows? Sun am after 2 sessions I went thru the kink at high speed behind sammy, I messed up and lifted and kicked the rear end out. Brought it back in and then heard a noise. In the pits found out that a large bolt that holds the rear brake caliper onto the spindle had fallen out! I think I might not have torqued it down properly. Went out and tried to find a new bolt but to no avail. Came back and Lee was kind enough to let me drive his M3 one session. Had fun, but I need a lot of practice to drive that car well. When I was packing up saw John and Sammy running on an open track. Wish I could have gotten out there, but I got plenty of time in and had a great time.

Hey Tim, that was Will Sadler driving my car out there with Sammy. Sammy really impressed a lot of people this weekend. Glad you had a good time. See ya at the track.

2KWhiteSnake
03-15-2004, 11:34 PM
There's a few other drivers out there that need some recognition of skill. This is a short list as there are many others...

Craig: Dang dude! I'm sure it was the BMS roll bar and SFC's that made you go that fast! It couldn't have been the MM coil-overs! :D

Thanks Tom!!! The car feels great with the new setup. I'm having a serious tire rollover problems with the Kumho MX's, but that can be fixed ;) The tires have great grip, but they have weak sidewalls for some reason.

The BMS cage, the subs, the coilovers, and everything you've done for me is awesome! It was a great event for all. Thanks to John and and the others (you know who you are) for putting on an awesome event for everyone. Everyone left exhausted, which is how it should be. I didn't hear ANY complaints about lack of seat time. I know I had my fair share. It's also great that we had no major accidents. It's always good to see everyone take themselves and their cars home in one piece, even if some had some repairable part failures. I hate the Morans had IRS failure...Thomas was really starting to fly out there. Hopefully they'll make it back next year.

Again, thanks to all that put on the event. Was great seeing everyone again and hope to see you soon.

:thumbsup:

Craig

Mystic_Cobra
03-16-2004, 12:01 AM
A huge thank you to John and the rest of the team for putting together a great event!
I will also ditto the remark regarding putting more names to faces.
I also have started my MM fund.
Holy ****, John's car was badass! Driving his car one session was definitely the highly of the weekend. I can't wait to get into a real car again. I'm not even sure if I will put the back seat back into my car, maybe it will go straight to ebay...
As for the video, John, I'd be happy to download it if you can find a place to host it. Not sure how much data it is. If that's too much trouble, I'll take a vhs, or CD - whatever. I'd prefer digital, but I will take whatever is easy for you. I am really anxious to see it.

I already started browsing the MM site again.
During the entire 6 hr ride home today, I was trying to figure out the logistics of getting the car to Tom's to get the cage welded in and how I can keep driving it.

Is it possible to have a car street legal AND AI legal?
I might have to register it in NC, I think the windshield banner is even illegal in VA.

My quote of the weekend: "WOW, it turns!"

98banana
03-16-2004, 08:24 AM
I hate the Morans had IRS failure...Thomas was really starting to fly out there. Hopefully they'll make it back next year.
If I'm not mistaken, he was running 1:52 on his second session ever at CMP, with a passenger and with a broken rear control arm. He would have easily gotten in the high 40's! That car is untouchable!

SIUNARA
03-16-2004, 11:14 AM
Don: You were flat out smokin' in that Focus. I'm assuming this was your first time on track with that car. Awesome driving man!

Thanks Tom! This was my first event with the Foci...but certainly not the last. I had a blast driving that car. Felt like I was really driving and not relying on horsepower to get me around the track...I like that feeling...so much so that the kart will be sold shortly and some extra wheels/tires and safety gear will be purchased for my new track car!! :thumbsup: :bounce:

SIUNARA
03-16-2004, 11:19 AM
Jimmy...Stephen Jones' car (92 teal notch) was street legal as well as AI legal last year. He was very competitive in the car...only off the leaders (Shugg & Hoover) by a second or two...and he was running Griggs...so you should be able to run with the leaders if you do the Maximum kit!! ;) :D

98banana
03-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks Tom! This was my first event with the Foci...but certainly not the last. I had a blast driving that car. Felt like I was really driving and not relying on horsepower to get me around the track...I like that feeling...so much so that the kart will be sold shortly and some extra wheels/tires and safety gear will be purchased for my new track car!! :thumbsup: :bounce:

LOL! I'm trying to figure out how I can afford a set of Hoosiers, coil-overs and stiffer sway bars before CRMC at CMP in 2 weeks! :D

SIUNARA
03-16-2004, 12:32 PM
That is too funny...I started looking up coilovers too!! :D

Do you think you could fab a 4pt. bolt-in cage with a removable cross and harness bar? I'll be in the market soon, and would like to continue to support BMS.

98banana
03-16-2004, 12:58 PM
That is too funny...I started looking up coilovers too!! :D

Do you think you could fab a 4pt. bolt-in cage with a removable cross and harness bar? I'll be in the market soon, and would like to continue to support BMS.
I'll send you a PM...

svt_coupe
03-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Best part of the weekend for me was watching Jason drive my car. THAT was worth the price of admission for certain. Seeing Don drive Will's car... and Will drive John's car... that was pretty freaking cool too. Will adapted to the MM stuff pretty quickly. Would be interesting to see him in an MM car with his motor. Sumbich would be freaking FAST!!

Thanks John for letting me pilot your car. I'm officially addicted to power now. :spimpin:

Thanks to Chris Retz and True Blue Performance for their continual support.

It was soooo good to see everyone. I always feel like I don't get to meet enough people (still didn't meet TimZ06).

Morans - sorry about your misfortune. That really really sucks. Thanks again for the generousity on Friday night. That was totally cool.

ciao
B

justagt
03-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Until I can get MM, I am retired.

Thanks, John.

Flagman
03-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Margie and I want to thank everyone for their efforts at CMP. Great job everybody! :thumbsup: We both had a ball and were more than happy to help out.

I think we had a terrific group of instructors (and participants) this year and, if the smiles and waves I saw at Pit Out all weekend mean anything, everyone had a blast.

Also want to mention the CMP folks...Mickey is always very helpful and the emergency crews and corner workers are great to work with!

I'd like to add that I am very proud of Margie for achieving her "sign off" to run solo. She had a wonderful instructor (thanks, Randall!) and really learned a lot about the technical side of hi-performance driving. Guess I'll have to put her in something a little faster now. :D

Looking forward to next year....

johnbasf
03-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Until I can get MM, I am retired.

Thanks, John.

Your welcome. :cool:

johnbasf
03-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Here's an in-car from Jimmy Bost, nice driving Jimmy. http://www.bananamotorsports.com/Movies/JimmyBostCMP04.WMV Thanks for hosting this Tom.

johnbasf
03-16-2004, 06:39 PM
Hey Will, Jimmy, Jay :D :D

johnbasf
03-16-2004, 06:43 PM
Hey you Z0-6 guys, post a link to your videos here. :thumbsup:

justagt
03-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Hey, John.............................. :321:

justagt
03-16-2004, 07:33 PM
So, Rich, about this kid riding in my car ...................................................... :)

Z06xr
03-16-2004, 07:38 PM
Well done SCMC. A huge thanks to the team that put this weekend together. Most of us "students" don't get to thrash our cars around a track very often so this weekend was really a blast. I left the track Sunday afternoon totally exhuasted, with an empty tank, a filthy car, and an ear to ear grin.

I think most of us drove home Sunday afternoon with a little more confidence and a better understanding of the limits and capabilities of our cars and our driving abilities. They just don't teach that stuff in drivers ed.

Anyway, it was great to get together once again, meet some new people, and have some fun on the track. It was good to see so many Vettes here this year. Hope the trend continues.

Thanks again

Pat

BAD PNY
03-16-2004, 09:22 PM
Boy where to start.

First and foremost thanks to everyone that was involved with the logistics of this event. That would be John and Jeff. I can only imagine the countless hours that you both spent on this. John you not only gave your time before the event but really sacrificed most of your driving time to make sure that the rest of us were having a good time. For that we should give you :thumbsup:

I also want to say that the safe driving and courtesy of all the drivers was to be commended. I loved the variety of cars and everyone was gracious on and off the track.

Now personally I can't believe how much I have to learn. The Z06 is so much more car then I am a driver. Coming home thinking how I could have improved. I guess only practice and on track time will help. I wish I could have followed some of the instructors to see where I was losing or gaining time. Some much to do, so little time. By Sunday afternoon I was beat and my driving was suffering as I could not concentrate like I needed to.

Thanks to all and please drive fast but safe. See ya at the track.

Mike

Mystic_Cobra
03-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the link and the hints, John. I think we know where to get the goods, its just a matter of money. Where'd I put that lottery ticket? :D

John and Tom - Thanks for putting up the video. It looks like that lap was a 1:58 from line to line. I'm not one to toot my own horn, but I wasn't able to use 2nd gear most of the weekend, bc the clutch kept slipping, the car wieghs 3600 lbs (w/me in it).
Got more video???

I can't wait to get this car ready to race. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Anyone have contact info for Stephen Jones? I have a few questions for that gentleman.

John-did you get that lap on tape where I went a little sideways?

I guess my list goes like this:
quartermaster.com
maximummotorsports.com
gut-the-mystic.com
bananamotorsports.com

BTW-If you missed the event, take a look at my video, that tracks ROCKS!!!

thomasmoran1
03-16-2004, 11:10 PM
Hi everyone just wanted to let you all know that even though we broke down at CMP we still had a great time. I proved to myself that our car could run a good enough time to not embarrassed us in AIX. It was fun to see everyone again and finally put some faces to names. The car is at our roll cage builders right now and we are in the process of deciding what path to take with the control arms. It looks like we will have to have some designed for us because we can't seem to get the Kenny Brown ones to last. I don't blame Kenny Brown because the IRS was such a compromised design to begin with that was just not meant to be stressed the way we stress it.

John and Tony, thanks for putting on a great event. It was great to see you guys again. Anytime you need an instructor just ask, I had a ball.

Tom, I'm glad to hear that you were able to get the Focus back out there in Sunday. Can you do the Kink flat in that thing???

Bryan and Will, it was good to finally meet you and hopefully we can be fighting it out on the track in the not to distant future.

Larry, you need to get a new trailer. I heard the one you got starts to sway above a 100 mph (don't ask how I know that)

Lisa and Clarence sorry you guys counld't go for a ride but if your at gingerman we will get you in the car.

If any of you guys are interested in coming up to Mosport I'll look into next year and find some clubs that are running two days.

I'll keep you all posted on the control arm as things develop.

Thomas and Mike

98banana
03-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Tom, I'm glad to hear that you were able to get the Focus back out there in Sunday. Can you do the Kink flat in that thing???
I know it can take it flat out. I was approaching 95-100 before the kink but never took it faster than about 88. I had a passenger in the car every session and didn't want to push it. I always had a full car width extra room on the left side, so I don't think 95-100 would be a problem on street tires in that car. My next trip to CMP will be with Hoosiers, so I'll fill you in after I do that. :D I'll see if I can't improve on that 2:03!

If any of you guys are interested in coming up to Mosport I'll look into next year and find some clubs that are running two days.

Count me in...

johnbasf
03-17-2004, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the link and the hints, John. I think we know where to get the goods, its just a matter of money. Where'd I put that lottery ticket? :D

John and Tom - Thanks for putting up the video. It looks like that lap was a 1:58 from line to line. I'm not one to toot my own horn, but I wasn't able to use 2nd gear most of the weekend, bc the clutch kept slipping, the car wieghs 3600 lbs (w/me in it).
Got more video???

I can't wait to get this car ready to race. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Anyone have contact info for Stephen Jones? I have a few questions for that gentleman.

John-did you get that lap on tape where I went a little sideways?

I guess my list goes like this:
quartermaster.com
maximummotorsports.com
gut-the-mystic.com
bananamotorsports.com

BTW-If you missed the event, take a look at my video, that tracks ROCKS!!!

I got it all Jimmy!!! It will be on it's way to you soon. :thumbsup: