PDA

View Full Version : Cool/Ram air intake and Flowmasters question?

Mirage775
03-15-2004, 12:27 AM
A friend of mine rode in the snake with me the other night and asked if the scoops were functional? I said no. He said he had seen a kit somewhere that made them functional:eek: Has anyone seen this kit? Also, if no functional hood scoop kit is available, what about a CAI that doesn't require you to relocate the factory fogs? One more question, I want to give it a bit more of a rumble, but not god awfully loud as hell, just a nice sweet sounding downshifting rumble..., what series Flowmaster's do yall recommend? I like to keep my vehicles almost completely stock, so this will be about the only thing I do to it :)

Thanks
Jason

tcrews
03-15-2004, 08:59 AM
There is no way to make the factory scoops functional...aerodynamics prevent any air from entering at that location even if they were completely open. No kits to make them functional as again......they just can't be made so.

I know of no CAI kits that require moving the foglights from their factory location. Some homebrew 'ram-air' kits do use that location and require removal (or moving) of the passenger side foglight.

How loud do you want it? Do you have the factory mid-pipe still on the car? I'd just replace that with a BBK off-road H-pipe (add some mil-eliminators) and you'll get a bump in volume and some more power.

A friend of mine rode in the snake with me the other night and asked if the scoops were functional? I said no. He said he had seen a kit somewhere that made them functional:eek: Has anyone seen this kit? Also, if no functional hood scoop kit is available, what about a CAI that doesn't require you to relocate the factory fogs? One more question, I want to give it a bit more of a rumble, but not god awfully loud as hell, just a nice sweet sounding downshifting rumble..., what series Flowmaster's do yall recommend? I like to keep my vehicles almost completely stock, so this will be about the only thing I do to it :)

Thanks
Jason

Mirage775
03-15-2004, 11:16 AM
Tom, I saw the homebrewed thing, thought it was cool, until I saw where you had to relocate the fogs. I did some checking last night and found some cool air intakes, that are reasonably priced. As for the functional scoop thing, I wasn't sure about what he was talking about and I don't think he was sure either? My car has a complete new factory front to rear exhaust under it, so it probably has what you're talking about?

Thanks
Jason

99SVT3753
03-20-2004, 11:02 AM
I am making a template for a cold air setup (more ram air) from the Open Port of the stock location from a 99 Cobra (the port next to the fog lites) ..
I will have 2 items come off the passenger's side: and Uplet to ram the air into the K&N filter setup, and a FlowThru to keep the front brakes cooled off.

Tearing out the wheelwell cover, you can see that the SVT guys musta used this for the same reason, but it is mostly just a throw-the-air-into-this-area, without any real guidance of tubing or anything like that.

Little bit of a rumble: go with a MagnaFlow setup .. the interior stays nice and quiet. I just pulled off a 40 Series 2-chamber setup from the factory H-pipe back, and installed the MagnaFlow setup ..
Throttle response was a lil nicer, but the torque factor went up greatly (waiting to install the True-X after I get a pair of MagnaPacks to test those as well) ..

Tim
99 Cobra #3753
http://www.f4fbbs.com/SVT

Thanks
Jason