PDA

View Full Version : Long tube headers

sssvtcobra
03-16-2004, 07:27 AM
Hey everybody, I got a quick question. I was thinking about buying a set of Long tubes from BBK and wanted to use a Bassani o/r x-pipe, but was told that the only mid pipe that would fit the BBK L/T's is a BBK piece. I ran a search for some info on this but didn't find much. If anybody has some insight or experience I would greatly appreciate it.

Jeff

tcrews
03-16-2004, 08:02 AM
Out of the box, no the Bassani x-pipe will not fit. People have taken them to a muffler/exhaust shop and had them cut and welded to fit properly. Being an off-road pipe it should be easy and fairly cheap as there are no cats that would need moving/adjusting/etc...

Hey everybody, I got a quick question. I was thinking about buying a set of Long tubes from BBK and wanted to use a Bassani o/r x-pipe, but was told that the only mid pipe that would fit the BBK L/T's is a BBK piece. I ran a search for some info on this but didn't find much. If anybody has some insight or experience I would greatly appreciate it.

Jeff

sssvtcobra
03-16-2004, 02:49 PM
Out of the box, no the Bassani x-pipe will not fit. People have taken them to a muffler/exhaust shop and had them cut and welded to fit properly. Being an off-road pipe it should be easy and fairly cheap as there are no cats that would need moving/adjusting/etc...

Thanks for the info!! That really sucks though, I would hate to have to cut the welds do any clutch or transmission work on it just to reweld it back on. What about if I went with the Kooks L/T's am I looking at the same thing wih those? It sounds like from other threads that those are some nice headers that people here in the club like to run with. What if I bought FMS shorty headers would I have to weld those as well. I know there is better gains if I choose L/T's over shorties but is it worth it.

Jeff

tcrews
03-16-2004, 04:00 PM
What you would do is have the X-pipe cut and it's flanges welded back on in a different location, essentially making the X-pipe shorter. So the connection to the headers would still be a bolt-on/bolt-off deal. Regardless, with BBK longtubes you will have to disconnect the driver side header to drop your transmission. With the Kooks/Hooker headers I think you are okay. Another option would be the new mid-length headers offered by Bassani. They are performance wise between longtubes and shorties but will not interfer with tranny removal. Pretty pricey though...but I do like Bassani stuff a lot. I have FMS shorty headers that will eventually be replaced with their mid-length headers. They have a short(er) X-pipe specifically for those headers.

Thanks for the info!! That really sucks though, I would hate to have to cut the welds do any clutch or transmission work on it just to reweld it back on. What about if I went with the Kooks L/T's am I looking at the same thing wih those? It sounds like from other threads that those are some nice headers that people here in the club like to run with. What if I bought FMS shorty headers would I have to weld those as well. I know there is better gains if I choose L/T's over shorties but is it worth it.

Jeff

smashedheadcat
03-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Tom, I looked at Greg Oswell's car (bigdaddy) and it didn't look like there was enough room to get the trans out with the headers in place. He has Kooks headers. They do look awesome though, just don't think that a T-45 would slip through there. As from expirience, the BBK headers will interfere with anything you do transmission wise. I've added a Lakewood bellhousing and a X2C v.1 transmission, and I had to do some grinding on the bellhousing to get it to clear the headers. I will be able to remove the trans easily, but clutchwork will still require the passenger side header to be removed. Hooker headers, shorty headers, and bassani midlength headers are the only ones that I know of that will allow trans/bellhousing removal without the having to pull some headers.

Josh

Big Daddy
03-18-2004, 07:47 AM
Tom, I looked at Greg Oswell's car (bigdaddy) and it didn't look like there was enough room to get the trans out with the headers in place. He has Kooks headers. They do look awesome though, just don't think that a T-45 would slip through there. As from expirience, the BBK headers will interfere with anything you do transmission wise. I've added a Lakewood bellhousing and a X2C v.1 transmission, and I had to do some grinding on the bellhousing to get it to clear the headers. I will be able to remove the trans easily, but clutchwork will still require the passenger side header to be removed. Hooker headers, shorty headers, and bassani midlength headers are the only ones that I know of that will allow trans/bellhousing removal without the having to pull some headers.

Josh
Josh,

You are correct about my headers. You have to pull at least one side to get the tranny out. JDM/Kooks says you can remove the tranny with out tacking out the headers but I wouldn't try it! :D ;)

smashedheadcat
03-18-2004, 09:41 AM
Josh,

You are correct about my headers. You have to pull at least one side to get the tranny out. JDM/Kooks says you can remove the tranny with out tacking out the headers but I wouldn't try it! :D ;)

I think they mean, if you have a TKO or a six speed, you can remove the tranny...... but not the bellhousing. I was assuming that with the lakewood housing, I'd be able to slip it by, but that's not the case. Your headers are awesome looking, but I wouldn't try it either. :D

Josh