PDA

View Full Version : Underdrive pulleys... worth it?

Mirage775
03-20-2004, 09:00 PM
Just a quick couple of questions, are underdrive pulleys really worth the money? The site I'm reading says they add HP and help gas mileage. I always thought when you add HP, it reduces gas mileage? Speaking of gas mileage, (and I know this ain't the car to be complaining about mileage), but about how many miles, (ballpark figure), can you get to a full tank, in an all stock 97 Snake? I use the highest grade gas, (wish I didn't have too, but I do), and last week, I had about 250, with just a little gas left. I got on the gas a few times while showing off for friends, but drove normal for the most part of it. I punched it today and redlined in 1st and grabbed 2nd as well and I could've sworn I used 1/8 tank of gas! It's funny, I filled it up Wednesday and this morning, when I got to work, I was sitting between 1/4 and 1/2 tank.... It's still bad as hell to drive though. Anyway, someone let me know about the pulleys?

cobrabitn
03-20-2004, 11:27 PM
In a word..... "yes". Underdrive pulleys free up hidden horsepower and make the engine rev quicker. You will feel an increase in power in the seat of the pants. However, your mileage may differ. :D

sssvtcobra
03-21-2004, 02:42 AM
Just a quick couple of questions, are underdrive pulleys really worth the money? The site I'm reading says they add HP and help gas mileage. I always thought when you add HP, it reduces gas mileage? Speaking of gas mileage, (and I know this ain't the car to be complaining about mileage), but about how many miles, (ballpark figure), can you get to a full tank, in an all stock 97 Snake? I use the highest grade gas, (wish I didn't have too, but I do), and last week, I had about 250, with just a little gas left. I got on the gas a few times while showing off for friends, but drove normal for the most part of it. I punched it today and redlined in 1st and grabbed 2nd as well and I could've sworn I used 1/8 tank of gas! It's funny, I filled it up Wednesday and this morning, when I got to work, I was sitting between 1/4 and 1/2 tank.... It's still bad as hell to drive though. Anyway, someone let me know about the pulleys?

I am currently on my third mustang, first one being a '95 V6, second a '94 GT, and third an '01 cobra coupe. And believe it or not in all three I got about the same gas mileage give or take a couple miles. But they have all averaged out to about 50 miles to a quarter of a tank of gas. I am young so I do have a tendancy to hammer on it every once in awhile. :thumbsup:

johnbasf
03-21-2004, 08:08 AM
In a word..... "yes". Underdrive pulleys free up hidden horsepower and make the engine rev quicker. You will feel an increase in power in the seat of the pants. However, your mileage may differ. :D

What kind of gains did you see Tony? Any dyno numbers?

cobrabitn
03-21-2004, 09:26 AM
John,

My stock 99 Cobra went from 272 rwhp to 289 rwhp with just the addition of the pullies and an OR pipe. I contribute part of that increase to the pullies and most of it to the pipe. I didn't dyno each one separately so I cannot help you there. Most OR pipes will net you in between 10-13 rwhp on a 99 Cobra. The rest I give to the pullies. They also give you more freer reving at higher rpms. :thumbsup:

ian white
03-21-2004, 02:21 PM
GO FOR IT! I went with march pullies this is probably one of your least expensive mods. You will notice an increase in horsepower! :cool:

Mirage775
03-21-2004, 04:05 PM
How much did yours cost and which company should I buy from? I found a set for $150. Good price? Bad price? Buy'em! Don't buy'em? Let me know? Thanks

venomous
03-21-2004, 04:51 PM
I've also heard that March made good underdrive pulleys. They range from $133.69-199.95. Mac and Steeda would be good too! :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
03-21-2004, 06:23 PM
Hands down, you want Steeda pullies. When you join the club, you can take a 10% discount on Steeda products. That will put you close to where you want to be. :thumbsup:

Mirage775
03-21-2004, 06:49 PM
I have joined the club :bounce: You should be getting my check this week? Since I'm now internet-less at home, I'll have to check the forums when I'm at work :dunno: