PDA

View Full Version : Are superchargers safe?

ian white
03-21-2004, 03:02 PM
I see that the newer cobras have iron blocks is this because they are supercharged? I have a 97 and have wondered are both type of superchargers,harmful too the life of the engine? Does a intercooler help and if so, is it available on a screw type charger?

Firme
03-21-2004, 07:56 PM
ian, although the steel block helps the 03 cobra, the sleeves make a big difference also (cylinder walls). There is many theories out there about the aluminum vs. iron and how ford blew the aluminum block, but here is my theory.

Ford was limited with funds on how much extra they could tack on the Cobra price tag. They had two choices, aluminum block with sub-par internals (for supercharging), or get the iron block which was 4k cheaper than the aluminum and spend that money on forged internals. I am willing to bet that the aluminum block they blew did not have forged internals in it. The price would be absured. After all, the Ford GT has a modular Aluminum block (5.4) with a more powerful supercharger than the 03. They have to watch the bottom line and keep in mind that they have to cover themselves with warranties, sometimes up 100k miles.

Now on to your car. Ultimately, a super safe tune (conservative A/F and correct spark timing) and precautions to make sure fuel is being delivered properly,even at redline would be what would keep your engine from blowing. If done correctly, you could get many miles out of your 97 with a supercharger on it. You just have to keep an eye on everything and make sure everthing is within safe limits. Now given even that, with your stock internals, there is only so much power you can squeeze out of the engine.

Now, Idealy, you would want to get your enigne "built" (forged internals, strong bottom end) to get the same results as the 03/04. Intercooling is a good idea as it would lower your air temporature which would keep from getting into hazardous conditions and detonation.

It just takes $$

redsnake99
03-22-2004, 07:57 AM
Here's what I added to my 99 Cobra when it had 26,000 miles on it.
Whistler just turned 102,000 this past weekend.

http://www.mustangweekly.com/2001/september/newproducts/np3-09-3rd.asp

:thumbsup:

96MysticSVT
03-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Ian, Check out the Kenne Bell website, they have a great FAQ section that answered alot of my questions about supercharging.

http://www.kennebell.net/

Kenne Bell is probably the way I will go on my 96 Cobra when I finally convince myself (and wife) that I "need" a S/C.:thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
03-22-2004, 02:11 PM
I think, it's only a matter of time, and the engine will blow. There are just too many little things that can happen so quickly, and you could lose your engine. But, if you do get the blower, keep everything completely stock. No pulley upgrades, get a dyno tune from an expirienced dyno tuner, and leave it alone at that. Add nothing else. Then, you'll be fine. There are blown cars out there (Dave S.) that last a long long long time, but they are few and far between. Most (if not all) lose our engines by getting greedy for more power.

Josh

ian white
03-22-2004, 06:33 PM
I think, it's only a matter of time, and the engine will blow. There are just too many little things that can happen so quickly, and you could lose your engine. But, if you do get the blower, keep everything completely stock. No pulley upgrades, get a dyno tune from an expirienced dyno tuner, and leave it alone at that. Add nothing else. Then, you'll be fine. There are blown cars out there (Dave S.) that last a long long long time, but they are few and far between. Most (if not all) lose our engines by getting greedy for more power.

Josh Thanks josh for your advise! Your right about the need for speed,it is addictive. Sorry about your car man ,thank goodness you are both okay Ian :thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
03-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Thanks josh for your advise! Your right about the need for speed,it is addictive. Sorry about your car man ,thank goodness you are both okay Ian :thumbsup:

Thanks for showing concern. Tarah and I are okay, and we are very thankful for that. Thankfully I am still here to play with the cobras, and Tarah is still here to yell at me when the boost guage starts climbing. :D

Josh