PDA

View Full Version : From tank to rail........

smashedheadcat
03-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Tcrews......... You've been there, done that, any advice? Any other advice?

Basically, I'm looking to do a complete fuel system, from fuel tank to fuel rail. Here's what I've got now: Stock rails, lines, walboro 255 intank pump (not yet installed), t-rex inline, bbk 255lph intank pump (installed), 42lb injectors, 4:1 FMU.

I've read tcrews doesn't like Aeromotive pumps for street applications (I think JC's is aeromotive though). Anyway, I was wondering if I could do something like X2C sumped tank, -8 feed lines, -6 return lines, a big ole fuel pump, adjustable fuel press regulator, fuel rails, that sort of thing. Then I could sell my stock stuff and my 3 fuel pumps to help re-coop some of the dough. Basically, the car will be street driven at least a few times a week, and see the track roughly 20 times a year if i'm lucky. Just want to spend the money now to help save money later (I want no lack of fuel). I'd like to be able to let my engine grow into my fuel system, and not the other way around. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Josh

tcrews
03-22-2004, 08:15 PM
JC ditches his Aeromotive pump...too many issues with those pumps for street cars. He's running a Weldon but its LOUD (that's L-O-U-D) and he may change it. A killer setup would be dual bosch 390lph pumps, -8 feed line, rails, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, -6 return line and 55# injectors. A sumped tank from X2C would be a good choice.

Something I'm looking at....and for a street car it's probably the best choice right now. '03 Cobra tank and fuel pump setup. Run with adapters from the pump to -8 feed line, split with a y-adapter to aftermarket rails, from their run -6 lines to the adj. fpr and then the single -6 back to the tank. Definitely go with 55# injectors and ditch the FMU. This will give you an extremely quiet setup, can run the tank near empty with out worries and has been done on return setup like our cars before. Chris98Vobra (on the Corral) did it and it was in the Feb (I think) Mustang Enthusiast magazine (I missed that issue :( ).

Tcrews......... You've been there, done that, any advice? Any other advice?

Basically, I'm looking to do a complete fuel system, from fuel tank to fuel rail. Here's what I've got now: Stock rails, lines, walboro 255 intank pump (not yet installed), t-rex inline, bbk 255lph intank pump (installed), 42lb injectors, 4:1 FMU.

I've read tcrews doesn't like Aeromotive pumps for street applications (I think JC's is aeromotive though). Anyway, I was wondering if I could do something like X2C sumped tank, -8 feed lines, -6 return lines, a big ole fuel pump, adjustable fuel press regulator, fuel rails, that sort of thing. Then I could sell my stock stuff and my 3 fuel pumps to help re-coop some of the dough. Basically, the car will be street driven at least a few times a week, and see the track roughly 20 times a year if i'm lucky. Just want to spend the money now to help save money later (I want no lack of fuel). I'd like to be able to let my engine grow into my fuel system, and not the other way around. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Josh

cobrabitn
03-22-2004, 09:21 PM
Well, I don;t know about all of that stuff but I see you have a 1998 Cobra convertible Tom, congrats! Welcome to the droptop world! :thumbsup:

Maybe you can show it all to us in a few weeks, eh? :D

Big Daddy
03-23-2004, 08:03 AM
JC ditches his Aeromotive pump...too many issues with those pumps for street cars. He's running a Weldon but its LOUD (that's L-O-U-D) and he may change it. A killer setup would be dual bosch 390lph pumps, -8 feed line, rails, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, -6 return line and 55# injectors. A sumped tank from X2C would be a good choice.

Something I'm looking at....and for a street car it's probably the best choice right now. '03 Cobra tank and fuel pump setup. Run with adapters from the pump to -8 feed line, split with a y-adapter to aftermarket rails, from their run -6 lines to the adj. fpr and then the single -6 back to the tank. Definitely go with 55# injectors and ditch the FMU. This will give you an extremely quiet setup, can run the tank near empty with out worries and has been done on return setup like our cars before. Chris98Vobra (on the Corral) did it and it was in the Feb (I think) Mustang Enthusiast magazine (I missed that issue :( ).
I just went with the '03 CObra tank and fuel pump setup and it is feeding the fuel just fine! 70 lbs of pressure up top! I had to have some fabricating done to the top of the '03 fuel pump assembly to handle the return system I have but it can be done and it has worked great so far! :D :thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
03-23-2004, 06:33 PM
I don't mind LOUD fuel pumps. I think they are bada$$!! But, I do want reliability. The '03 cobra setup sounds like a lot of work. Is this something I should take somewhere and have done, or piece it together myself?? I'll be keeping the 42 injectors until I need to swap them to 55's.

Josh

Big Daddy
03-24-2004, 08:26 AM
I don't mind LOUD fuel pumps. I think they are bada$$!! But, I do want reliability. The '03 cobra setup sounds like a lot of work. Is this something I should take somewhere and have done, or piece it together myself?? I'll be keeping the 42 injectors until I need to swap them to 55's.

Josh

I would take it somewhere to have it done. They had to weld some fitting on the top part of the pump assembly. I don't know if they will with your's or not?? Call Randy and ask him, he did my original return style system on the '01 and they ended up taking that off of my old pumps and attaching it to the new pumps. PITB but the '03 has duel in tank pumps and they are good so far up to 650 RWHP on a two valve I know of!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tcrews
03-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Got any more details on what they did? This is more than likely the route I'll be taking with my car as I want to retain some "street ability" but allow it to support the power the engine makes.

Thanks!!

I would take it somewhere to have it done. They had to weld some fitting on the top part of the pump assembly. I don't know if they will with your's or not?? Call Randy and ask him, he did my original return style system on the '01 and they ended up taking that off of my old pumps and attaching it to the new pumps. PITB but the '03 has duel in tank pumps and they are good so far up to 650 RWHP on a two valve I know of!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Big Daddy
03-24-2004, 02:21 PM
Got any more details on what they did? This is more than likely the route I'll be taking with my car as I want to retain some "street ability" but allow it to support the power the engine makes.

Thanks!!

Tom,

They had to have a second tube for the return in the lid on the pumps. It required a fitting to be attached to the existing tube also. I had this setup from Randy on the Steeda Dual Pumps I was running. Since they couldn't get the lid to quit leaking that they had done they used the lid that Randy and Co had done. They removed the bracing that holds the '03 pumps in place from the one lid and attached it to the lid I had been using. Of course you have to have a fuel regulator put on your car to controll the fuel pressure. Even with this setup you can control fuel pressure with the computer or manually.

smashedheadcat
03-25-2004, 10:45 AM
Dang. Sounds like some work. :D I'll be taking this somewhere by the looks of it. I've about had it with working on my car. I got it all the way together, and it makes a loud metal on metal "clanking" noise when I depress the clutch. Sounds like somethings hitting the clutch fork, but it's not. No "eye deer" what the problem is. So i'm gonna go out and tear it apart. (again)

Josh