PDA

View Full Version : Suspension help

97BlackSnake
03-24-2004, 03:03 AM
What do you guys think about the MM sport box? Is it worth the cost of $1600? Will it make a really big difference in handling? Is there something better for the money?

This package includes the following:
MM Strut Tower Brace
MM 4-Point K-Member Brace
MM Standard Subrame Connectors, bare steel
MM Panhard Bar with Aluminum Rod
H&R Sport Springs
Tokico Premium Performance Front Struts
Tokico Premium Performance Rear Shocks
MM Caster/Camber Plates
MM Urethane Pinion Snubber
Front Spring Isolators
Rear Spring Isolators
Steering rack bushings, urethane
Front Swaybar bushings
Front Swaybar end link bushing kit

Thanks for the help!

Firme
03-24-2004, 07:07 AM
It will definitely make a big difference in handling over stock.

I like MM alot. My personal preference would be replacing certain items in that package with other MM products. But that might shoot the price up a bit. I Like coil-overs, but they would make it a bit more expensive. As far as sticking to the coventional springs, I think H&R's are the best, but would go with Bilstein dampners. It really depends on what you want to do with the car. Stating that might be a better way to start in getting recommendations. I believe MM will let you substitute items in that package for other products of their and just adjust the price. :)

smashedheadcat
03-24-2004, 08:19 AM
You may get more response from the handling guru's if you post this in "suspension tech" or the "Open Track/ Auto cross" sections. :) I'm a "go straight" guy, so I won't be of much help. :)

Josh

Hazman
03-24-2004, 11:28 AM
One thing I would add to Firme's response is go with the full length subframes. Extra chassis bracing is always good. I have the H&R springs, Tokicos, MM TA/PHB, MM Lower adjustable lower control arms, the bushings and C/C plates. The car is much more responsive and tight. If I had the money I would jump to coil-over also.

Talk to Chris at MM he will not steer you wrong!!!! :thumbsup:

ian white
03-24-2004, 06:26 PM
What do you guys think about the MM sport box? Is it worth the cost of $1600? Will it make a really big difference in handling? Is there something better for the money?

This package includes the following:
MM Strut Tower Brace
MM 4-Point K-Member Brace
MM Standard Subrame Connectors, bare steel
MM Panhard Bar with Aluminum Rod
H&R Sport Springs
Tokico Premium Performance Front Struts
Tokico Premium Performance Rear Shocks
MM Caster/Camber Plates
MM Urethane Pinion Snubber
Front Spring Isolators
Rear Spring Isolators
Steering rack bushings, urethane
Front Swaybar bushings
Front Swaybar end link bushing kit

Thanks for the help! IWENT WITH THE BILSTEIN BTS SYSTEM, VERY HAPPY IT LOWERS YOUR CAR 1.5 INCHES ,RUMOUR HAS IT THE SPRINGS ARE H&R? ALSO CHANGED MY UPPER & LOWER CONTROL ARMS WITH MACS -CHEAPER THEN MOST .THEN INSTALLED SUBFRAMES ,WITH BBK CASTERS , HUGE DIFFERANCE IN HANDLING OVER STOCK! MY ADVISE TOO YOU IS SHOP OUT THE PARTS BY THEMSELVES . ALSO DO YOU NEED THE WHOLE PACKAGE? :doubt:

97BlackSnake
03-25-2004, 05:26 PM
sorry I should have included this in the first place, my car is a daily driver and may occasionally be taken to the drag strip. Where I live the roads are anything but smooth and there are pretty big bumps every where I go, so I don't want to lower the car to much. It was lowered a lot when I got it and I scraped on everything and was forced to put the stock springs back on. What I'm trying to get out of this is a well rounded setup that will not be to harsh on the street, will allow me to corner a little better, and that will improve straight line performance.

thanks again for the help!

Firme
03-25-2004, 05:52 PM
sorry I should have included this in the first place, my car is a daily driver and may occasionally be taken to the drag strip. Where I live the roads are anything but smooth and there are pretty big bumps every where I go, so I don't want to lower the car to much. It was lowered a lot when I got it and I scraped on everything and was forced to put the stock springs back on. What I'm trying to get out of this is a well rounded setup that will not be to harsh on the street, will allow me to corner a little better, and that will improve straight line performance.

thanks again for the help!

For what you are looking for, here some observations with my experience:

-the H&R are great springs, paired with good dampners, they can be good on the street. A friend of mine who has one of the fastest 1/4 mile times I have seen for a bolt- on GT, had H&R's and he had one the fastest times at the an auto-cross I went to last year, I think they are good all around springs.

-coilovers would make the ride better (I think setup correctly, coil-over can be more comfortable ride than conventional), but for the amount of $$ they cost, they might be a waste for you.

-for the street, I think bilsteins would be better. They have the best ride quality, are self adjusting so you don't have to worry about that, and will net great results in handling.

-like already stated. Get full lenght Sub-frame connectors.

ian white
03-25-2004, 07:35 PM

thanks again for the help! My car is also a daily driver, wonse winter is gone - well partime It handles like its on rails compared to stock. I wanted a better handling car also. Not too radical, because are roads are not the best either ! It will still bottom out sometimes with my family on board, but is still better than stock . I still think this is a good package ,maybe if your roads are that bad , you might as well stay with your stock springs.It also corrected my wheel hop problem . M&M are definately a good choice when it comes to handling mods. ! Lots of luck in your :thumbsup: choices

97BlackSnake
03-28-2004, 11:01 PM
Thanks for all the input!