PDA

View Full Version : IRS to live

boostedstang
03-24-2004, 10:11 PM
I am about to swap to a live axel. Is it worth it? Will I be happy with it? Will the car handle different? Thanks

Bartman01
03-24-2004, 10:23 PM
Depends on why you are doing it. Yes the car will handle differently - but you can say that about any significant suspension change. Most noticable will be less stability on uneven or broken road surfaces (ie most city streets).

boostedstang
03-25-2004, 09:45 PM
I want to push over 500 to my rear wheels in a few month I am going to have like 650-700 HP. I don't think the IRS can sand it. What do you think?

Firme
03-25-2004, 10:03 PM
I want to push over 500 to my rear wheels in a few month I am going to have like 650-700 HP. I don't think the IRS can sand it. What do you think?

Well, the IRS can stand it... sort of, and it might need upgrades. You would have to tweak it to keep from wheel hopping and snappin half shafts. If your main focus is the 1320, its just easier to deal with the solid axle and it weighs less.

But, as far ride quality, the IRS is better and can handle better pending modifications to both.

Big Daddy
03-26-2004, 07:54 AM
Well I'm hitting 560 RWHP and 485 Ft Lbs torque with the original half shafts still in my car. IF you are thinking of turning the car into a drag only car then I would say swap to the live axel. Otherwise learn to launch the car now with no wheel hop and you'll be fine with the IRS.

Mystic Cobra
03-26-2004, 09:47 AM
I am about to swap to a live axel. Is it worth it? Will I be happy with it? Will the car handle different? Thanks
I would wait until some more of the suspension guys chime in. My understanding (which admittedly isn't much) is that there are some modifications that can be done to the IRS to make it launch much harder. From what I've read, with modifications the IRS can take 600-700hp. Unfortunately I can't tell you what the mods are but some here can.

I think that you're going to be giving up daily ride quality big time, but if you likes your driving a quarter mile at a time then more power to ya.

How about it guys what are the options?

Bartman01
03-26-2004, 12:44 PM
From what I've read, with modifications the IRS can take 600-700hp.

AFAIK, all the serious drag racers eventually dumped the IRS in favor of the live axle. Too many parts to break with the IRS and as soon as one thing was strengthend another part broke. For heavy high rev launches with slicks, solid axle is probably the cheapest/most reliable setup. Suspension setups are diffent for serious 1/4 mile vs serious track applications, so it really depends on what he wants to do with the car. In either case, keeping the car comfortably streetable will take some compromises.

Boosted: Tell us what the goal for the car is and people can give more direct advice.

Mystic Cobra
03-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Boosted: Tell us what the goal for the car is and people can give more direct advice.

Ya gotta love this place, friendly folks that know what their doing. :thumbsup:

boostedstang
03-27-2004, 01:26 AM
MY goal for the car is 1000 HP or as close as I can get. The car will pro not see the track that much but when it dose I want to run some crazy #'s. Here in the next few month I am going to be twin turboing the car. My irs already has 31 splin axels. I might just buy a live and when i drag race it just swap it out. Any ideal on just swaping when I want to drag race.