PDA

View Full Version : Rollbar Advice

oliascobra
03-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Hi y'all:

I'm considering installing a roll bar in my '97 vert both for safety in case of a roll-over and for occasional racing. Any recommendations re bolt-on vs weld-on? Are there any out there that won't require mods to the back seat? Any issues with the convertible top?

I would like to be able to remove the roll bar if I decide to sell the car, so that would favor a bolt-on.

Any advice on brand?

Thanks

Hazman
03-28-2004, 07:06 PM
I have the Autopower 4-point with crossbrace and harness bar in my '97 vert. The install takes a few hours and there are no visible mods to the car that cannot be hiddden or reversed.

Here is a website with a great set of instructions on installing one in a '97 vert.

http://wingnutmotorsports.homestead.com/rollbar.html

Good Luck :thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
03-31-2004, 06:04 PM
If you don't mind traveling to South Carolina, look no further than www.bananamotorsports.com

Josh

2KWhiteSnake
03-31-2004, 11:16 PM
If you don't mind traveling to South Carolina, look no further than www.bananamotorsports.com

Josh

I 2nd that vote. Tom Lewis rocks! Oh, and get him to whip you up some subframes too.

Craig

nckissfan
04-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Hi y'all:

I'm considering installing a roll bar in my '97 vert both for safety in case of a roll-over and for occasional racing. Any recommendations re bolt-on vs weld-on? Are there any out there that won't require mods to the back seat? Any issues with the convertible top?

I would like to be able to remove the roll bar if I decide to sell the car, so that would favor a bolt-on.

Any advice on brand?

Thanks

nice to see another Pacific Green vert here! I am in the same situation as you, wanting to install a roll bar. Where in Wisconsin are you? I was born in beer town, and also lived in Madison. We moved down to NC when I was 13. I love WI!

oliascobra
04-01-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the replies!

The website showing the rollbar install is great, Hazman. I don't like the way it deforms the rear seat back cushion, but there probably is no way around that. Also, I agree with the need for subframe connectors. My vert is twisty. Bananamotorsports looks good; A road trip to SC might have to happen.

Hey nckissfan: good to hear from you. Nice car! I grew up in Beer town also, and spent about 15 years outside of WI and I guess I just missed the cold and having to store the vert for half the year (NOT!). I now live north of Madison in Westport township (near Waunakee). And today it's sunny and 40 and the green machine is back on the road. The top's still up, though. Do you make it back to WI much?

-Eric

nckissfan
04-01-2004, 12:18 PM
no Eric, I have not been back to WI in a good long while. I need to. I think my wife, and I are going to go there this summer. My cousin lives up in Lac De Flambeau, near Minoqua. She has a second cabin on her property, and she has said it is ours for a vacation if we want. I was planning on flying up there, but maybe the snake would be nice on the open highways of the great northern tier of Wisconsin :D . If you plan a trip down to get the rollbar, let me know. We can go cruising around the Carolinas!

CA_Red
04-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Kenny Brown has one for the convert - with lower side bars, whcih tie into the subframe connectors -

http://kennybrown.com/cgi-bin/ecommerce/ac/agora.cgi?cart_id=2136558.56602*Rf3VZ3&next=10&product=2003-2004SVTCobra

has anyone ever used this one?

grasshopper
04-02-2004, 12:43 AM
I was tempted by Autopower's bar. I was concerned about cutting into the back seat. I had a local guy do a custom bolt-in bar (4pt) and, yes, it was more expensive than the Autopower. I still think I got my money's worth. The back down tubes mount where the rear seat cushion meets the rear seat back so there was no cut into the seat. He put the down tubes and main hoop close to the B pilar (well, where the B pillar would be;) ) and close to the top so there is very little obstructing the view. If you are concerned about preserving the car's interior and you're willing to pay more, go with a custom install.

I had it out for the first time at CMP a couple of weeks ago. I LOVED having the 6 point harness instead of the stock belts! The bar also stiffened the car up - now I can appreciate the need for full length subframes.

The harness bar is removable so the back seat can be used while the rest of the bar is in. I left the bar in for a few weeks to see how my daughters do with it in. They liked the bar for the most part- even compared it to monkey bars for climbing. :) However, one daughter did bump her head on it once. Nothing major, no tears were shed, but I can't emphasize enough to put padding all around it if you'll be riding with passengers in the back. Of course, you need padding to protect the driver and front passenger anyway... I hope to avoid the problem by taking the bar out right after future track weekends. My conclusion: if you need to have passengers in the back seat, get a bolt-in roll bar so you can take the whole thing out when you're not on the track.

CA_Red
04-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Hey grasshopper -

That sounds like a great solution - do you have any pictures or plans you could share?

Doug

I was tempted by Autopower's bar. I was concerned about cutting into the back seat. I had a local guy do a custom bolt-in bar (4pt) and, yes, it was more expensive than the Autopower. I still think I got my money's worth. The back down tubes mount where the rear seat cushion meets the rear seat back so there was no cut into the seat. He put the down tubes and main hoop close to the B pilar (well, where the B pillar would be;) ) and close to the top so there is very little obstructing the view. If you are concerned about preserving the car's interior and you're willing to pay more, go with a custom install.

I had it out for the first time at CMP a couple of weeks ago. I LOVED having the 6 point harness instead of the stock belts! The bar also stiffened the car up - now I can appreciate the need for full length subframes.

The harness bar is removable so the back seat can be used while the rest of the bar is in. I left the bar in for a few weeks to see how my daughters do with it in. They liked the bar for the most part- even compared it to monkey bars for climbing. :) However, one daughter did bump her head on it once. Nothing major, no tears were shed, but I can't emphasize enough to put padding all around it if you'll be riding with passengers in the back. Of course, you need padding to protect the driver and front passenger anyway... I hope to avoid the problem by taking the bar out right after future track weekends. My conclusion: if you need to have passengers in the back seat, get a bolt-in roll bar so you can take the whole thing out when you're not on the track.