PDA

View Full Version : AV8SS Racing Series

johnbasf
03-29-2004, 06:34 PM
To all concerned,
There has been rumor of late about the possibility of another "tin-top" series in the works. The rumor is in fact true.
The premise of the new series is that of a more professional type series with a dedicated search and solicitation for a series sponsor and both contingency sponsors and actual race purses.
The series is however designed to allow those with grassroots racing budgets to come out on occasion and earn a little extra money. The level of preparation of cars and the amount of cost containment rules will allow A-sedan, American Iron, Grand-Am Cup cars and the like to compete under one umbrella. As a stand alone series, drivers with experience and licenses from SCCA, NASA, EMRA, Midwest Council, BMW CCA, Porsche Club, etc., will be honored. All racers will have to apply for an AV8SS competition license based on past experience.
As the name implies, this series is based on a front mounted, V-8 engine, rear wheel drive automobile. Though the name is "american", some european makes such as BMW, Porsche(928) and Mercedes will be eligible. The eligible years will span from 1964-2005. A sample list of eligible cars : AC Cobra/Factory Five type cars-----AMX/Javelin 1968-1974-----BMW M-5-----Cadillac CTSV-----Chevy Camaro-----Chevy Corvette 1964-2004(minus ZR-1 & Z06)-----Dodge Challenger-----Ford Mustang(minus Supercharged Cobra)-----Ford Thunderbird-----Jaguar XK-8-----Lexus SC400/430-----Lincoln LS-----Mercedes-----Firebird-----Pontiac GTO(2004)-----Porsche 928. This is a partial list of eligible cars. You will note the inclusion of 4 door sedans. You will also note the inclusion of the Corvette. This automobile's superior handling qualities will be mitigated somewhat with the rule that states ALL cars will run a maximum of 275/40-17 inch tires and a 9.5 inch rim. Additional weight penalties and engine restrictions will be imposed as necessary to equal the field.
Rules- The rules are nearly finalized and will be posted on the website as soon as I am able to get it up and running (hopefully within the week). I will give you the high points here : Engine equivalency formula will be in play. This will be done with air restrictors and engine RPM limits. The idea here is that a 4.6 will have a higher RPM limit and weight breaks to be able to compete with a 400 cubic inch engine which will be limited to 6000 RPM and breath through a straw. Compression ratio will be regulated also. A 4.0 liter engine will be in the neighborhood of 14 to 1 and a 400 cu.in. in the neighborhood of 9.5 to 1. There will be no dyno certification and "tech" will be thorough. ALL CARS WILL BE NATURALLY ASPIRATED.
There will be but one class of race cars. As is done in other forms of sedan racing, weight will be added to the winner of the race and the front finishers in decreasing amount. For that reason, all cars will need to have a weight box added. The series director also reserves the right to impose additional restrictions to cars that appear to be overly dominant and/or afford weight/horsepower "breaks" to cars to enhance their competitiveness. While a CMC car may not be competitive, with the cost containment rules in place, any well run AI, A-sedan or Grand-Am cup car will be capable of winning.
There will be no tube-framed cars allowed. No slicks allowed and tire brand is open at this juncture though we are searching for a sponsor to keep costs in check. Minimum weight balance front to rear is required to be at least 52.5% front bias.
No doubt some of you will lament the fact of yet another series to split what is already a small piece of pie. Point well taken. While that is the initial result, my hope is that we will be able, ultimately, to unify many different series into one strong and appealing series from a sponsor standpoint.
This is not Dan's get rich scheme. I am uninterested in profit. I have no intention of quitting my day job! To that end, I will provide, upon request, a full account of all monies spent to any racer desiring one. I will also promise you, the racer, a voice in the rules as we grow. Realizing that there is no way to please all the people all the time, to the extent possible, you will be heard.
In this first year we will run a very limited schedule due to the late start. The first race will be June 19th - 20th at Pocono, Pa. on the LONG COURSE. Though minimal, there will be a small purse for this event( probably$1000.00-$2000.00 ). Price will be $300-$325 for the 2 day event. This will be a fast and fun track.
The second event will be the VIR Stock Car Spectacular Sept.3,4,5. This event will cost $375.00 but will guarantee a purse of $2500-$3000! I am searching for a date at Road Atlanta and a West Coast date. The goal of these dates is to de-conflict with the American Iron series. This is not a war but rather an alternative and also a class allowing additional types of cars to be raced. BTW, I still intend to run AI races as the schedule permits.
There will no doubt be many questions. Please feel free to contact me at this e-mail address or dandpilot@aol.com. until I get the website up and running. My cell phone is 757-561-1110. I welcome all your comments both pro and con and in this instance I will answer each and every one I receive.
Best Regards to All,
Dan Schlickenmeyer, Director
American V-8 Supercar Series
(AV8SS)

justagt
03-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Count me in!! I am looking forward to it and to seeing all of the guys and gals from the last couple of years.

SIUNARA
03-29-2004, 09:27 PM
I may have to reconsider my decision to race. I figure...if Shugg and Hoover keep winning, they can keep on adding weight to their cars until they weigh about 2 tons, and then I might have a chance to win!! ;)

Looking forward to seeing you guys at the races again! :thumbsup:

98banana
03-29-2004, 09:29 PM
I'd be in like flint if I could drive the Focus in it. Otherwise, I'm still looking for the rich relative to croak.

b_tone
03-30-2004, 11:42 AM
I may have to reconsider my decision to race. I figure...if Shugg and Hoover keep winning, they can keep on adding weight to their cars until they weigh about 2 tons, and then I might have a chance to win!! ;)

Looking forward to seeing you guys at the races again! :thumbsup:

Don't worry about shugg and hoover. Even in AI trim we may have them covered this year........

And we definetly have Pearson covered....ha! :D

SIUNARA
03-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Who is "We"?

I look forward to seeing the battle... :thumbsup:

98banana
03-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Who is "We"?

I look forward to seeing the battle... :thumbsup:

You didn't know... Tone always talks about his multiple personalities together as a team. :D

SIUNARA
03-30-2004, 08:17 PM
One of Tone's personalities must not be too confident...notice how he wrote..."we MAY have them covered this year". That is not the mark of a confident man...or woman in Tone's case! ;) ;) :D

COBRA #17
03-30-2004, 10:10 PM
NICE ONE DON!!! That will teach him! :baby: Bring it or leave it !!! :thumbsup:
As for Shugg ??? :moon: :naughty: Who is he ???

Anybody seen or heard from him ??? :drool:

AV8SS !!!!!! RULES !!!!! :spimpin: :cheers:

03 AI EAST CHAMP ( still without a plaque !)

b_tone
03-31-2004, 09:48 AM
NICE ONE DON!!! That will teach him! :baby: Bring it or leave it !!! :thumbsup:
03 AI EAST CHAMP ( still without a plaque !)

I can't beleive the guy who is afraid to race in AI is telling me to bring it :D .....here is the Gauntlet: August, Mid Ohio. You can either show up or make excuses. We'll be at the AV8SS races, but unless you are in fully legal AI trim it's apples to oranges.

Ball's in your court. :mad:

johnbasf
03-31-2004, 11:24 PM
I have a MM sticker with Hoover's name on it!!! :spank2:

COBRA #17
04-01-2004, 07:31 AM
We would just like a plaque with our names on them, Right John!! ;)

Have a good time this weekwnd to all that are going!! :thumbsup:

HOOV

wreckm
04-02-2004, 08:28 PM
Now I really love this, everyone is getting along! Great to have you back Don! As for Will, cant wait to see that car run without problems, as for Tone I got the beverages for everyone on this one! We are still in full Ai trim and I have a Griggs emblem to bet also.This will be what racing is all about. I have some good pics of a special built av8ss car if James will post it! Remember wider is better!!!!! Jay

johnbasf
04-13-2004, 08:26 PM
Nice AV8 car.

wreckm
04-13-2004, 10:15 PM
Nice AV8 car. WOW! Someone can lay on the paint!

SIUNARA
04-13-2004, 10:47 PM
You guys are so transparent...I love it!! :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wreckm
04-15-2004, 08:45 PM
You guys are so transparent...I love it!! :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:Hey, they made a movie about people like us didn't they? So what do you think of the wider look?

SIUNARA
04-15-2004, 09:00 PM
As they say..."wider is better"! :thumbsup: I see 315's in the future of that car. :eek:

I should send my new kart body down to you to work some magic in your paint booth. You certainly have some MaD sKiLLs Yo!! :D

98banana
04-15-2004, 09:18 PM
As they say..."wider is better"! :thumbsup: I see 315's in the future of that car. :eek:

I should send my new kart body down to you to work some magic in your paint booth. You certainly have some MaD sKiLLs Yo!! :D

So now I'm confused or I missed a post or something. Who belongs to the car pictured above? I thought I recognized that garage as one I had been in before that belongs to a friend of another AI guy.

Whoever it belongs to -> :thumbsup:

wreckm
04-15-2004, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=SIUNARA]As they say..."wider is better"! :thumbsup: I see 315's in the future of that car. :eek:

Clears 315/35zr17's with 1in plates in front and 1 1/2 plates in rear.

COBRA #17
04-15-2004, 09:26 PM
[SIZE=7]OUR LIPPS ARE SEALED !!!

:tongue:

wreckm
04-22-2004, 08:10 PM

I should send my new kart body down to you to work some magic in your paint booth. You certainly have some MaD sKiLLs Yo!! :D Hey Don, we will be at Pocono for the av8ss race. Bring me the body and a good imagination.I still am kinda partial to some type of ORANGE though!

racercosmo
05-04-2004, 03:15 AM
Nice AV8 car.

I just had this car in my shop today, and wow was I surpirsed at who was driving it. ;)

b_tone
05-04-2004, 08:21 AM
I just had this car in my shop today, and wow was I surpirsed at who was driving it. ;)

You didn't know before hand?

mwilson7
05-04-2004, 08:32 AM

Was it someone who you would have expected to have STRAIGHT lines in their paint?

What did you think?

wreckm
05-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Okay guys you are the engineers and mechanics, what did you think of the fenders? Cosmo, what were you doing with it? Jay

mwilson7
05-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Jay,

you REALLY don't want an honest opinion do you?

wreckm
05-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Jay,

you REALLY don't want an honest opinion do you?I didnt say about the paint, just the fender mods! I think the same of the paint!

racercosmo
05-05-2004, 11:50 PM
I think the driver was changing his oil and a few other minor tidbits.
I liked the bodywork Jay. The paint scheme draws attention, which I think is what is wanted in this case.

NJ2000R
06-04-2004, 04:15 PM
who's going to Pocono June 19-20 ? If I can make it, I'm gonna head out there....I won't have the 95R ready for a while, but this class sounds like a good fit for that car....

COBRA #17
06-04-2004, 05:41 PM
ME ME ME !!!!
Any idea where to stay ??? ANYBODY ???

AV8SS PUNK :cool:

mwilson7
06-04-2004, 07:42 PM
After seeing the track layout I'm definitely going to try to make it!!!

NJ2000R
06-04-2004, 11:55 PM
These are all close by the track:

Days Inn Rt 940 Whitehaven (570) 443-0391
Ramada Inn 1(800) 251-2610
Comfort Inn 1(800) 443-4049
Blakeslee Inn (570)-646-1100 room rate $54