PDA

View Full Version : N/a 290 Rwhp?

ian white
04-04-2004, 12:13 PM
Haven't had a chance yet to dyno my car. Just wondering with my mods,if iwould be close to 290 rwhp and torque,any guesses? MODS mac air induction, march pullies, FRP shorty headers,alluminum driveshaft,373 gears magnaflow x pipe/cats ,flowmaster mufflers and suspension changes

smashedheadcat
04-04-2004, 12:31 PM
Haven't had a chance yet to dyno my car. Just wondering with my mods,if iwould be close to 290 rwhp and torque,any guesses? MODS mac air induction, march pullies, FRP shorty headers,alluminum driveshaft,373 gears magnaflow x pipe/cats ,flowmaster mufflers and suspension changes

Being a 97 cobra, we have a 10-15rwhp disadvantage from the get-go. I'd say getting a tune via custom chip will get you the 290 for sure, and up towards the way of 300rwhp. Right now I'd guess a 280rwhp ish.....

Josh

tcrews
04-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Let's break it down..

Most '97 Cobras dyno in the 250-260 rwhp range.

1) Mac air induction = Zero rwhp (on the dyno)
2) March pulleys = 12-15 rwhp
3) FRP shorty headers = 5-8 rwhp
4) Aluminum DS = Zero rwhp
5) 3.73 gears = -5 rwhp (may show a loss of power because of greater friction)
6) Magnaflow x w/cats = 10-15 rwhp
7) Flowmaster mufflers = Zero rwhp
8) Suspension changes = Zero rwhp

Cold air works better on the street/track so while it may show zero gains on the dyno it could reduce your 1/4 mile times. Gears may reduce your "reading" of power it'll give you better torque multiplication and make the car perform better. Mufflers on your year car only change the sound/tone of the exhaust and add no gains in power.

All in all don't be upset if you don't reach 290 rwhp. If you do...congrats :)

ian white
04-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Thanks Tom , close but no cigars! What would you suggest for my next mod , without rebuilding or supercharging? Or am i at the crossroads, before spending ,big bucks? :eek:

cobra97
04-06-2004, 08:34 AM
u can get gain from:

pro-m 80 mass air :thumbsup:
alum. drive shaft :bounce:
Alum. Flyweel :rotf:
T.B :D

tcrews
04-06-2004, 04:03 PM
u can get gain from:

pro-m 80 mass air :thumbsup:
alum. drive shaft :bounce:
Alum. Flyweel :rotf:
T.B :D

You won't gain anything from a T.B, you'll probably lose some and possibly gain idle issues.
If your A/F is correct you won't gain anything from an aftermarket MAF meter either.
Aluminum DS should reduce the weight allowing more energy to make it to the wheels but the larger diameter of the Ford piece negates that.
Aluminum Flywheel may reduce some of the rotating mass for you and net your 1 or 2 hp.