PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

My Cobra
04-11-2004, 02:03 PM
I have a 1999 cobra witht he mach 460 sound system (crap) I took out my stock radios in put in a new head unit. i went out and bough the wiring harness from wal-mart (wrong one it does not include the speaker wiring harness ) So off to radio shack (got the same kit but with the speaker harness ) hooked it up and it does not turn on or anything. Also there are 2 square plugs and 2 black plugs that say amp on them then there is a smaller plug with a red cap on it. the guy from radio shack said it was probley a cd changer control or something like that. anyway do i need to get some kind of wiring harness to hook up all of these plugs? if so where can i get one? Why does ford make these things so hard? I have put steros in cars for a long long time and never had this much trouble.

Aaron94
04-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Alright, i have no experience with the mach system, but i do i have experience with aftermarket stereos, so i will try to help here. the black plug probably has the wires coming back from your factory amps. As for the one with the red cap, if it wasent used before it probably is for CD changer wiring. if i were you i would try to wire it up using the factory amps, because they make much more power than any aftermarket head unit. However, i dont know if that is possible because the stock unit sends the speaker signals to the amps "unpowered" if you will. the new headunit will be powering the signal, and then running it through the factory amp. I dont know if that is possible, or safe. I know there is a way to tap into the speaker wires before they get to the amps. That aside, if it is not even turning on you should only be concerned with only 3 wires, the hot at all times, hot when ignition is on, and ground. When i get home tonight i will check my ford wiring manuals, and tell you which color wires are which. I believe the manual also gives schematics for the mach wiring, i'll see if i cant photocopy those pages and fax them to you or something? i will look that stuff up soon and let you know. I can also pull my unit out and see whats going on.

As for the speaker wire issue, do you plan to install an aftermarket amp? If so you wont need to worry about connecting your speaker wires to the head unit. i dont know if you have ever wired an amp before?

My Cobra
04-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Yea i went to Circuit city and had them talk to me they said that i have to pay 100 dollars to have the whole car rewired. Then i went to radio shack and they said that i can buy some part that does it. some amp by pass kit. So i bough it and nothing. does nto even turn on. i have checked all of my fuses in the fuse box and nothing. checked the wires a billion times. nothing :( thanks a lot for your help man. :) took forever for somebody to respond. ha ha it is hard to go with out a system in my car.

Jesse99
04-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Anyway I hate to say this, but your going to have to re-wire your car.. I went though this with my car.. The deal is most Aftermarket radios runs postive and negative speakers.. factory radio's don't.. there are a few aftermarket radio companys that makes replacement radios for our cars.. Kenwood is one and so is Alpine.. It took me a little over 4 hr to re-wire my car.. A buddy of my owns the same year and bought the kenwood with the harness and it workes great.. Hope that helps..

Firme
04-12-2004, 04:32 PM
you prolly don't have one of the wires hooked up or correctly hooked up.

here these might help.

Diagram 1 (http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/imgs/misc/mach460/2.jpg)
Diagram 2 (http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/imgs/misc/mach460/1.jpg)
Diagram 3 (http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/imgs/misc/mach460/3.jpg)
Diagram 4 (http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/imgs/misc/mach460/power%20distribution.jpg) <---Power Distribution

My Cobra
04-12-2004, 11:11 PM
so i am screwed? ha ha. Circuit city wants 100 bucks to do all of the work. I think i will just buy another stock in dash unit since i screwed up my last one. anybody have one? I still have the cd player just need the tape deck part for the mach 460. thanks everybody for the help :)

Jesse99
04-13-2004, 12:19 AM
Here's a few kenwood system's that will works great for your car without re-wiring it.. Am/Fm cassette/CD changer receivers -- KRC-235, KRC-38MRCC, KRC-335, KRC-435, KRC-535 and the in-dash CD changer KDC-D301 ... the two will fit where your stock radios fit.. (My buddy has the KRC-435 and the KDC-D301, they look great..)

My Cobra
04-13-2004, 08:05 AM
ok thanks a lot. I was looking to get a sony one like the cdx8000. or the sony one like the cdx8000 with the xm radio cap. So in order to do this i would have to have my whole car rewired? man i hate the mach 460 sound system. Do you know any cd players that have xm cap. and look sweet that woudl work with my ride? the other ones are nice but i am looking for one that looks really really ncie and i have seen the cdx8000 it is like a wet dream. lol i have one in my SS. The camaro SS has bose speakers which sound so crisp and clear with nice thump and they did not have some screwed up wiring harness. Dang you ford and your high tec stuff. ha ha thanks again for your help.

Jesse99
04-13-2004, 02:07 PM
The only Sony Radio's with XM that will work in your car is CDX-F5000, CDX-F5005X, CDX-F5500, CDX-F5705X, CDX-M800.. Hope that helps..

My Cobra
04-13-2004, 11:40 PM
yea that helps a lot. The one i wanted to get was the cdx-m800. I have one in the SS and it looks so nice. so what is the diffrance in these? why can i only pick some units and not others? Do they send negative volts to the speakers or whatever?

Jesse99
04-14-2004, 01:25 AM
Almost all after market system are self amped.. so this requires positive and negative side volts on the speakers.. mostly all factory car system have positive with only one negative feed.. (It's like bridging an amp..) It's hard to describe, but if you look at the diagram that "Firme" has and them look at a standard wiring (Like in an older car) you can get the idea.. :thumbsup:

My Cobra
04-14-2004, 07:52 AM
after buying 3 diffrent wiring harness for this mach sound system i have come to the conclusion that radio shack has no idea about cars. They should just sell bateries for watches and phones. ha ha. thanks a lot for your help. i am gonna get the cdx-m800. Has anybody put a amp and subs in there car? I was wondering where they mounted the amp. I was thinking of making a amp rack for the trunk. i have seen that some people have put the amp on the back seat facing the trunk.