PDA

View Full Version : a BEAST of a race car!!

Andy M
04-11-2004, 02:32 PM
folks,

check out this Mustang...

http://www.teamborton.com/id37.html

Joe and I ran at MidAmerica Iowa last summer with Gene (the owner) at the SCOA event up there. All I can say is that thing is SCARY :eek: :eek: :eek: fast!!!

From a rolling start, he would leave both Joe and I like we were standing still! Well, I suppose when you have 500 HP and only 2800 pounds to lug around, you are going to be fast! And boy can Gene drive that thing. He was making easy work of some really fast race cars out there that weekend!

I may just have to buy me a body in white and build me one of these. Then, I could retire the R to just cruising and lookin' good! :thumbsup: :bounce:

Twice Bitten
04-11-2004, 03:42 PM
:eek: :cool: :thumbsup: :bounce: :drool: :woooah: :hail: :fordflag: :bugeyes: :love:

Levi
04-12-2004, 09:39 AM
You are fuel for my soul. :thumbsup:

I do want to build one,,,, Hows it go, tap your heels together three times and say, I want a race car, I want a race car, I want a race car.

Firme
04-12-2004, 11:42 AM
:drool:

That is sweet Andy

Carl G
04-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Now that is a race car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :)

kurt borton
04-20-2004, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the kind words fella's. I'm Gene's son, Kurt, the one who built the car. What you guys saw last year at MAM was a completely different car than it is this season. True, it was making 500 horse last season, but weighed in around 3400 lbs...I found a few lbs this winter. I basically built an entirely new car this winter, from rebuilding the cage, gutting everything I could see, building the new suspension...pretty much everything on that car is custom fabricated and one off. Because of that we really haven't had any track time to test yet this season, but we'll be at MAM the first week of May to try and dial it in for the rest of the AIX schedule. Hmm....stickier tires, bigger brakes, better suspension, less weight and more power. This should be a fun season.......

Oh...and the car actually started life as a 94 Cobra believe it or not! I'd recommend a body in white for sure, it would have been both easier and cheaper.

Admiral
04-20-2004, 07:16 AM
Here ya go Andy, 2002 Body in White (although this one is silver) for sale in Houston:

http://www.westsidemustangs.com/site/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=34684

I'm not challenging ya, just trying to help :D

Maybe stuff one of those FRPP Cammer motors into it? Or how about a pushrod V8? The possibilities are endless.............

Andy M
04-20-2004, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the kind words fella's. I'm Gene's son, Kurt, the one who built the car. What you guys saw last year at MAM was a completely different car than it is this season. True, it was making 500 horse last season, but weighed in around 3400 lbs...I found a few lbs this winter. I basically built an entirely new car this winter, from rebuilding the cage, gutting everything I could see, building the new suspension...pretty much everything on that car is custom fabricated and one off. Because of that we really haven't had any track time to test yet this season, but we'll be at MAM the first week of May to try and dial it in for the rest of the AIX schedule. Hmm....stickier tires, bigger brakes, better suspension, less weight and more power. This should be a fun season.......

Oh...and the car actually started life as a 94 Cobra believe it or not! I'd recommend a body in white for sure, it would have been both easier and cheaper.

Kurt,

Welcome aboard man! and thanks for clarifying a few points of interest related to your dad's BEAST!

Best of luck to you guys this season!! I am certain that with the combination of a VERY strong car (kudos to you guys!) and some great driving, you will do very well.

Please keep us posted!! :thumbsup: :bounce:

jimmysidecarr
04-21-2004, 10:38 PM
Wow!!!! All that and wide five hubs besides!!! They are the be all and end all to hub and bearing failures... It's old technology(BIGGER IS BETTER SOMETIMES).... Actually goes back to the late 30s??? 1937 Fords???
been used on sprint cars for years and years, modifieds, super modifieds, late models, and on and on......... If you touch another car in traffic the loads on the wheel bearings and hub go.... though the roof, not to mention the heat issues from huge bad a$$ race brakes!!!!
That is a very serious car!!!!
Hats off guys!!!! Very nice job!!!! :thumbsup:
Jimmy

kurt borton
04-22-2004, 12:00 AM
Thanks...I figured if it's good enough for Trans-Am it should be alright on a 'stang... Those are actually super speedway wide-5 hubs, from what I was told they are the best wide-5 on the market. Notice the wheel stud locaters too, just in case we ever run an enduro race it'll make for quicker tire changes.

I put a few new pics up last night of some body work I'm doing. It's far from done, but she's coming along.

The coolest part is there's no metric bolts left on that sucker!

jimmysidecarr
04-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Thanks...I figured if it's good enough for Trans-Am it should be alright on a 'stang... Those are actually super speedway wide-5 hubs, from what I was told they are the best wide-5 on the market. Notice the wheel stud locaters too, just in case we ever run an enduro race it'll make for quicker tire changes.

I put a few new pics up last night of some body work I'm doing. It's far from done, but she's coming along.

The coolest part is there's no metric bolts left on that sucker!

Very impressive effort, It's obvious to me that y'all really know "real race cars"....
The quality of the welds.... the confidence to fabricate from scratch that which could not be purchased....
And most importantly to think beyond what everyone else is doing and do that which will improve the car where YOU! feel it needed it...
That is such a cool class for innovators like you guys....
This is the stuff that just keeps me coming back for more....... I LOVE! seeing ideas come to life!!!
Keep up the good work!!
Jimmy :thumbsup:

kurt borton
04-23-2004, 11:34 PM
It's always a HUGE compliment to hear from someone who appreciates your work, I thank you again.
I honestly just love building this kind of stuff...and I learn more and more every time. I've already got too many idea's on how to improve this car it's rediculous...it really is a never ending project. I hear from so many guys that say it took them x amount of time to "finish" their car...and I wonder to myself, how do you know when your car is finished? I really see no end in sight, there's ALWAYS something that can be done a little better.

jimmysidecarr
04-23-2004, 11:54 PM
It's always a HUGE compliment to hear from someone who appreciates your work, I thank you again.
I honestly just love building this kind of stuff...and I learn more and more every time. I've already got too many idea's on how to improve this car it's rediculous...it really is a never ending project. I hear from so many guys that say it took them x amount of time to "finish" their car...and I wonder to myself, how do you know when your car is finished? I really see no end in sight, there's ALWAYS something that can be done a little better.

Hey keep those creative ideas flowing..... that and testing them out is a BIG part of the fun!!

You're right about the done part too!.... although for me funds and females were always able to rein me in(somewhat...lol)

Passing cars is fun for sure(traffic).... But figuring out how to wrangle an advantage, or keep one, that is such an intriguing aspect to this sport/hobby/OBSESSION ........

Jimmy :thumbsup: