PDA

View Full Version : First Speeding Ticket

Blown96Snake
04-12-2004, 11:09 AM
Yep. I have dodged the bullet long enough. I was coming down 421 from Boone to Wilkesboro. He got me coming down the hill somewhere...I was a little spaced out. He said I was doing 78 (in a 55)...I must have been more spaced than I thought.

My question is for you NC people. My roomate said there is some kind of defensive driving course you can take? It sounds like prayer for judgement, but he says it is different. Either way, I'm gonna find a lawyer today. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Later

Dave

Firme
04-12-2004, 11:34 AM
I don't know about NC, but over here you can take defensive driving once per a year time span to take care of a speeding ticket as long as its not 25mph over the speed limit.

Its just a 6 hour course you take and at the end there is a real simple test. Nowadays, you can take it online or rent it on video.

97whitevert
04-12-2004, 01:35 PM
dave- i know that you can ask for PFJ and you will probably get it- since this is your first ticket. i am not sure about the defensive driving course- the judge may have to require that of you, don't know that it just something that you can take here.

*doesn't all that HPDE time count for defensive driving??? ;) ;) :rotf:

nckissfan
04-12-2004, 02:08 PM
yeah, you can get the prayer for judgement thing. The only thing is, the ticket doesn't count against you. But, if you get another ticket in a certain time period, then you get both of them. So, good luck. Are you a NC resident? It doesn't sound like you are, just in school? You can take a def. driving course to help with your insurance.

Blown96Snake
04-12-2004, 03:43 PM
THanks everyone,

I am a NC resident. I think I am going to get a lawyer in Wilkes Co. and see what they suggest...I would prefer not go the prayer for judgement route...I'd rather be done with it and have a clean driving record again.

Lessons learned

Dave

venomous
04-12-2004, 04:16 PM
When I wrecked my gt, they police gave me a "too fast for conditions ticket." I took the defensive driving course at the local community college. It knocked my ticket down to an "improper equipment ticket" which was no points off my license. I live in North Carolina as well. I would definetly recomend you take the course. Well worth the money. :thumbsup:

Blown96Snake
04-12-2004, 04:59 PM
That sounds cool Venomous. SO instead of having to be good for 2-3 years, such as the prayer for judgement route--you can take this course and it is dropped to improper equipment. Is this correct? Interesting idea. Thanks!

Dave

flynfink
04-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Dave, did he knock it down to less than 10 over? If so, use the PFJ, otherwise, get a lawyer.

cobrabitn
04-12-2004, 08:46 PM
I wish we had PFJ here in SC. I could really use it about now.... a prayer that is. Also, the way it works is you cannot get a ticket within a year in order for it not to count against your license.

Hope that helps??

Tony

redsnake99
04-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Dave, look Terry up at school. He has some experience with tickets near the same place you refer to. He knows lawyers in Wilkes County.
His cell phone is 919 602-1643. He's in Eggers dorm.

:eek:

venomous
04-13-2004, 11:46 AM
That sounds cool Venomous. SO instead of having to be good for 2-3 years, such as the prayer for judgement route--you can take this course and it is dropped to improper equipment. Is this correct? Interesting idea. Thanks!

Dave
Thats the way it happened for me. Takes alot less time and you don't have to worry about doubling your tickets if you get caught again, like with the PFJ. The only down side is that it is 4 hours long, and dont hold it to me but I believe it was $50 bucks to take it :eek: . But that is better than paying higher insurance, don't you think?? :doubt:

nckissfan
04-13-2004, 01:32 PM
hell yeah venomous. Insurance rates are bad as they are, no need to make them any worse.

Spiffy668
04-13-2004, 08:41 PM
PFJ? Why would you want a 3 year probation sentence? :doubt: Get a lawyer, get it reduced and pay the fine. :thumbsup: