PDA

View Full Version : Very Harsh 1-2 Shifting

Stavesacre21
04-23-2004, 11:57 PM
Hey fellas. I know i just bought this Cobra like a week ago, and still love it to death, but i'm starting to see a serious problem that may or may not be an expensive fix. Here's the problem:

I'll be driving the Cobra fairly gentle, and I ride 1st up to about 2500 RPM'S, then push the clutch ALL the way in (not partially) and pull the stick outta 1st and then TRY to get it into 2nd. HOWEVER, this is where the problem comes in. When I try to jump from 1-2, there is often times a very obnoxious GRINDING sound. It happens almost ALL the time when I shift FAST (like racing). To prevent it from happening, the only thing I can do is shift from 1st into neutral (between 1 and 2) for a second, THEN slowly shift into 2nd rather gently. Any other meathod of shifting seems to usually yeild the sound of grinding (like the sound you would hear if you try to shift into gear from neutral without the clutch). It doesn't do this for any other gears, but is really bad on 1-2 shift.

I've heard from somewhere that this may have to do with "syncros", but have no idea what that term even means. At that, does anyone else have a guess, or has had this same problem happen to them? If so, how is this fixed, and if it has to be done by a shop, how much does it usually run?

Looking forward to hearinfg back from you all, for i hate to see my new Cobra sick already! Thanx all!

ausie
04-24-2004, 09:21 AM
If you bought the Cobra used, there may be sufficient wear on the clutch. The previous driver may not know the trick to adjust the clutch cable. Ford recomends pulling up on the clutch pedal every so often 15,000 or 20,000 miles. This will adjust the clutch. I had a similar problem whith my Cobra until I tried that once. A symptom of clutch wear is not being able to get the car in gear. More or less attributed to a worn pressure plate or loss of fingers that move the throw out bearing. I had that problem with all five gears including reverse until I adjusted the clutch cable, the grinding may have been intermittant and sometimes did it when not moving and puting the car in first gear. (there is no logical sense why it worked but it did). The stock shifter could also be the culprit too especially if the shift stops are worn or if the shifter fork is bent. If you have no clutch slippage when accelerating it may be a bent fork! The most common problem is power shifting into third gear which seems to be the one that gets missed. If it is a syncro one thing to try while coasting at idle is to engage the clutch and put it into second gear. If it still grinds then it may be the syncro. IF your Cobra is new I would recommend having it looked at by Ford. I can only speculate on what may be the cause.

Stavesacre21
04-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Yea, I haven't really noted any problems with the clutch at all. While your suggestion sounds like it very well could be the case in some conditions, it just doesn't sound like it would makes sense here. The whole shift fork ordeal may shine a little more light on the subject, but I guess I won't know until I run it by AMMCO. I would agree with the clutch tightening except for the fact that it ONLY does it in 1-2 shifting. All other shifts are as smooth as can be. thanx for the input though :thumbsup:

My Cobra
04-24-2004, 02:31 PM
often times reverse is a little bit hard to get in to for me. but not that bad over all.

ausie
04-25-2004, 08:30 AM
If it is just the shifter that would be an easy fix. As it sounds that the clutch is not the case or the pressure plate or throw out bearing. If the fork is bent it is possible that not all gears would be affected, Left movement of the stick (first and second) would only involve the left side of the fork. I do know from experience that the tremec 3650 is touchy especially at 6000 RPM while in first gear and not moving with the exception of the smoke passing you by as the tires are warming up. :D I found that if I do not keep my hand on the stick shift in the first gear position it will pop out without warning especially if the tires begin to grip. Under normal driving or power shifting I have no issues with the exception of lossing thrid gear. One of these days I may throw on a "short throw shifter". I am uncertain if the synchro's are universal for all gears or if there are synchro's for each gear. If for any reason let alone for entertainment purpose, educational at best, I would like to see the 3D transparent modeling (computer aided design animation) of how the transmission actually works. Not having the knowledge of taking a transmission apart to see how it functions makes me less inclined to help your situation. I would like to know what the results are from AMMOCO or whomever you decide to take it too. Best of luck with your quest to solve your harsh 1-2 shift.

Stavesacre21
04-25-2004, 12:22 PM
If for any reason let alone for entertainment purpose, educational at best, I would like to see the 3D transparent modeling (computer aided design animation) of how the transmission actually works.
Wish granted!

Not only is this animated, but it's also has user interface so you can change gears and see EVERY little detail.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission5.htm

Gotta love that site...I could almost get lost in it for hours!

Cobrizo
04-25-2004, 06:15 PM
Wish granted!

Not only is this animated, but it's also has user interface so you can change gears and see EVERY little detail.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission5.htm

Gotta love that site...I could almost get lost in it for hours!

Wow, thanks for the link to that website, its great! :thumbsup: I want to learn all I can about cars, stuff most of you guys take for granted as common knowledge! :thumbsup: This is a good one!! :bounce:

ausie
04-26-2004, 06:39 AM
Thanks for that animation! :cool: I see said the blind man :D for a simplified example that would possibly explain why first and second may have trouble and the other gears are fine.

97BlackSnake
05-01-2004, 04:17 AM
I have had the same problem in my 97 cobra. I know it has nothing to do with the clutch or shifter because both are brand new and professionally installed. I have talked to a very knowledgeable person about my problem and took him for a ride in my car to demonstrate the problem. He also said that it had something to do with the synchros though I can't remember what it was exactly. By the way, from what I understand, Synchros (synchronizers) are what allow the transmission to bring the gear that you are shifting into up to speed. If this is the problem then the transmission will have to be pulled and fixed or replaced. Hope this helps!

Stavesacre21
05-01-2004, 08:09 AM
If this is the problem then the transmission will have to be pulled and fixed or replaced
Yea, that helps alright...:banghead: .....just was hopin i wouldn't have to replace the whole tranny to do so. Thank you for your reply though! :)

ausie
05-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately, the gears can be broken, even the other innards. Perhaps it would be best to have it serviced before other gears become effected by floating debris in the fluid. Dropping the trany in the mustang shoud be much easier than a front wheel drive car. Rest assured if you get a good mechanic to work on it, you should have no problems in the future. Now you have two options, repair the problem by rebuilding your current trans or opt for a the six speed trans that is in the new mustang (if it will fit that is...) :bounce: food for thought :scratch:

Stavesacre21
05-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Yea, i spose the options are kinda obvious right now. I'm just gonna have to make with until I can afford to get it into the shop. Since I wouldn't trust most of the shops around here with my Probe, much less my Cobra, I'll probably end up taking it to AAMCO transmissions, AKA expensive central :( . Their prices may be totally through the roof, but the service you get from them is second to none! As most would say, you get what you pay for...