PDA

View Full Version : The damage

johnbasf
04-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Here's the pics, #5 Piston is what went.

johnbasf
04-24-2004, 05:14 PM
second pic

johnbasf
04-24-2004, 05:15 PM
third pic

johnbasf
04-24-2004, 05:16 PM
fourth pic

johnbasf
04-24-2004, 05:17 PM
fifth pic

johnbasf
04-24-2004, 05:18 PM
sixth pic

johnbasf
04-24-2004, 05:20 PM
Thanks to Will Sadler and Bryan Shugg(minor roll :D ) for all their help taking this thing apart. Now I need to find a place to sell the parts and start a motor fund.

svt_coupe
04-24-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks to Will Sadler and Bryan Shugg(minor roll :D ) for all their help taking this thing apart.

:moon:
:banghead:

johnbasf
04-24-2004, 07:32 PM
By the way, Shugg's new truck is AWESOME!!!! :thumbsup:

98banana
04-24-2004, 08:57 PM
That's a fine pointer you got in that second picture! :D

justagt
04-24-2004, 09:41 PM
Thanks to Will Sadler and Bryan Shugg(minor roll :D ) for all their help taking this thing apart.

The fourth picture is the best for showing how the work was split up today. But, then again, can you REALLY trust a guy that wears black socks with tennis shoes and shorts.

johnbasf
04-24-2004, 10:00 PM
The fourth picture is the best for showing how the work was split up today. But, then again, can you REALLY trust a guy that wears black socks with tennis shoes and shorts.

Hey Will, he did have to go back to work. :rotf:

johnbasf
04-24-2004, 10:01 PM
That's a fine pointer you got in that second picture! :D

It kind of sums up how I feel Tom. :D

justagt
04-24-2004, 10:28 PM
Hey Will, he did have to go back to work. :rotf:

Not sure. All he said about it was....uh...but..well......so, I.....if........my stapler......uh....hmmm....but........yeah........ok.........

:D

wildhorsesracin
04-25-2004, 07:09 AM
WOW! That ain't pretty! :(

While wandering the pits last nite at the Hooters Cup Race I ran into Kenny Troutman of KT Engines (www.ktengines.com) and we talked about your engine. His exact words were:

"from the factory the 4.6L is crap for racing, but with a few upgrades, mostly the same upgrades for a NASCAR motor you can make them fairly reliable and powerful and they rev better than a pushrod motor"

you gonna rebuild it? :thumbsup:

wildhorsesracin
04-25-2004, 07:13 AM

Rainbows an all?!? :p :rotf:

Mystic_Cobra
04-25-2004, 10:17 AM
What an ugly site. I was going to ask about the valve springs, then I remembered we don't have any. Ok, silly me, we have springs, just no pushrods. :)
I guess the piston just shattered?
It's hard to tell from the pic, does the block use reusable?

COBRA #17
04-25-2004, 11:27 AM
ONE WORD !!!!!! PUSHROD !!!! :thumbsup:

NOBODY :fart:

racercosmo
04-25-2004, 12:49 PM
What an ugly site. I was going to ask about the valve springs, then I remembered we don't have any. :)
I guess the piston just shattered?
It's hard to tell from the pic, does the block use reusable?Yeah, they do have valve springs.

John, how many, miles were on that engine? Hal has about 50,000 miles on his 96 and it's going so far.

johnbasf
04-25-2004, 01:07 PM
42K Cosmo. Here's a pic of the gouge in the block.

Mystic_Cobra
04-25-2004, 02:13 PM
Come on. These DOHC motors take a beating! I've got over 130,000 on mine and it still screams!

97whitevert
04-25-2004, 02:17 PM
dang!! you really know how to do it right, dont ya??? :eek: :eek:

SIUNARA
04-25-2004, 03:04 PM
"The fourth picture is the best for showing how the work was split up today. But, then again, can you REALLY trust a guy that wears black socks with tennis shoes and shorts".

Shugg is always on the cutting edge of fashion. ;)

johnbasf
04-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Come on. These DOHC motors take a beating! I've got over 130,000 on mine and it still screams!

I agree Jimmy. Pushrod is the cheaper way to go for me now. I get to sit back and see what happens before I make a decision on a motor. :D

svt_coupe
04-26-2004, 09:13 AM

What is this? An attempt at an actual compliment?!?

svt_coupe
04-26-2004, 09:22 AM
But, then again, can you REALLY trust a guy that wears black socks with tennis shoes and shorts.

...coming from a guy who admits to wearing hula skirts, flowered shirts, puts a plastic parrot on his shoulder, and brings his own sandbox to concerts (literally). I have a word for a guy like that but I can't think of it right now. :o

Like... "BUFFETT FOREVER DUDE!!"

wreckm
04-26-2004, 09:27 AM
What is this? An attempt at an actual compliment?!?I know that you do not have on cord shorts too?

My Cobra
04-26-2004, 10:27 AM
ha ha this went from "poor car " to "man look what he had on" ha ha good stuff. looks like a very very sad day.

justagt
04-26-2004, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=svt_coupe]...coming from a guy who admits to wearing hula skirts, flowered shirts, QUOTE]

uh, don't forget that just a couple of weeks ago, I saw a complete spandex outfit that you CLAIM you wear for bike riding. This was just before you skipped over to your brother's truck to get in.

b_tone
04-26-2004, 10:33 AM
uh, don't forget that just a couple of weeks ago, I saw a complete spandex outfit that you CLAIM you wear for bike riding. This was just before you skipped over to your brother's truck to get in.

I also saw a report that a masked man clad in spandex was smuggling olives in his shorts and trying to make it out of NC late last week. Sounds like we are talking about the same guy.....

I personally like the socks. I saw the dude from Queer Eye for the Race Guy wearing black socks with sneakers, looked good on him too.

svt_coupe
04-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Refer back to pic #2.

johnbasf
04-26-2004, 05:29 PM
What is this? An attempt at an actual compliment?!?
Not an attempt is was a compliment. :thumbsup:

svt_coupe
04-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Not an attempt is was a compliment. :thumbsup:
I just figured with all the bashing I took this weekend it was slightly out of character for you. :D

EDIT: Oh yeah... thanks again. Glad you dig the truck.

COBRA #17
04-26-2004, 06:20 PM
All this and I didn't have to say a thing !!! :rotf:

the olive thing is over the top!!! :rotf:

The hell with racing this is way more fun!!!

:ttiwwop:
SPANDEX !!! :bugeyes: :spank2: :drunk: :whipit:

How much money ???

NOBODY !! (docb) my new self explanation, see who figures it out first!!

johnbasf
04-26-2004, 07:15 PM
I just figured with all the bashing I took this weekend it was slightly out of character for you. :D

EDIT: Oh yeah... thanks again. Glad you dig the truck.

As I recall there were NO comments made about your socks this past weekend but we DID notice them!!! :rotf: :angel:

My Cobra
04-27-2004, 08:08 AM
i bet all his black socks are gone now and he is on a trip to wal-mart to pick up some white ones. ha ha ha. reminds me of when i was little and woudl wear the ones that come up to your knees with the 2 or 3 color rings at the top with the ugly brown or gold colors. ha ha

SIUNARA
04-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Shugg at Wal-mart? No way...they don't sell cords there anymore...stopped selling them in like 82...you can only get those at the Southpark mall these days. That's where Jeff Gordon used to shop when he lived near Charlotte. ;)

svt_coupe
04-27-2004, 11:34 AM
I know everyone is just jealous of my high style. Sadler in particular - I saw him trying to put my bike shorts on his head.

How did this thread turn from "Hey, check out my engine carnage. Yippee!" ...to... "Shugg's a farking no-dressin-sumbich." BACK TO THE FRIGGIN TOPIC!!!!

SIUNARA
04-27-2004, 01:09 PM
So, what's the diagnosis after ripping apart the engine. We know what part failed...but why??? And don't just say "it's a mod motor"...let's have some tech from those in the know.

b_tone
04-27-2004, 01:25 PM
So, what's the diagnosis after ripping apart the engine. We know what part failed...but why??? And don't just say "it's a mod motor"...let's have some tech from those in the know.

I am going to bet that either the valve retainer, valve stem or valve spring broke sucking the valve down into the cylinder destroying the piston. That is just a guess based upon the damage done.

Also don't forget IT'S A MOD MOTOR it was only a matter of time.

Shugg when you are laying in your bed at night and you hear tick, tick, tick, tick it's only that time bomb you call mod power.......Learn from Pearson!.

I know that's a bit evil but it's so fun. nothing but love

Tone
*Look for me to have mod motor power for the 05 AI season.....if there is an 05 AI season.

justagt
04-27-2004, 01:37 PM
My 2 cents is that the valve hit the piston and the piston, being hypereutectic, exploded. I came to this unprofessional conclusion because the valve stem was bent, but the springs on the stem looked ok. Also, JP had just come thru a part of the track that he was tagging the rev limiter. When all of the stuff is turning, the piston 'chases' the exhaust valve while it is closing and if any of that stuff stretches any little bit and the clearances are tight enough, contact can happen. The rod had a slight bend in it too.

Or, the piston hit the valve. :D

b_tone
04-27-2004, 01:39 PM
My 2 cents is that the valve hit the piston and the piston, being hypereutectic, exploded. I came to this unprofessional conclusion because the valve stem was bent, but the springs on the stem looked ok. Also, JP had just come thru a part of the track that he was tagging the rev limiter. When all of the stuff is turning, the piston 'chases' the exhaust valve while it is closing and if any of that stuff stretches any little bit and the clearances are tight enough, contact can happen. The rod had a slight bend in it too.

Of, the piston hit th valve. :D

Pistons hit valves all the time and they don't break the piston. Something had to have come way down into the cylinder for it to break the piston.

johnbasf
04-27-2004, 05:17 PM
I'll take a real good look at the head to see if the spring is screwed up. I had knee highs too. :rotf:

svt_coupe
04-27-2004, 05:43 PM
Also don't forget IT'S A MOD MOTOR it was only a matter of time.

Shugg when you are laying in your bed at night and you hear tick, tick, tick, tick it's only that time bomb you call mod power.......Learn from Pearson!.

I know that's a bit evil but it's so fun. nothing but love

Well... you got a point. But, I might add - I'm on season #3 with my mod motor. Haven't touched the thing. It keeps making more and more power too. :D I think it's just breaking in. Pearson was the first mod motor failure.

Now look at the flip side here on the East coast. Let's count the "single-bump-sticked-monuments-to-ineffieciency" failures:
Hoover: ?? how many did he rebuild?
Schlick: 4
Anderson: 3
Smeltzer: 3?
Tone: 2?
Henkel: 3-4
Gluck: 2
Les: 2
Sadler: 3
Koehler: he bought Ford's remaining stock of 302 blocks and still can't rebuild them fast enough
Jones: 4
B. Smith: 2? 3?

Yeah... pushrod MUST be the way to go!!! :D :D

(I had a good laugh at the size 40 font, by the way...)

svt_coupe
04-27-2004, 05:45 PM
What's wrong with knee high socks?

Mystic_Cobra
04-27-2004, 10:57 PM
I was also thinking about what caused the breakage. The piston isn't going to explode unless something hits it, right?
If the spring is still intact what else could have happened?
What about the rod bolts, aren't they the weak link on the old pushrods?
Was the rod still bolted to the crank and still intact?
We always hear its the cheap pistons, but what exactly has failed on other mod motors?
Did you look at the oil pump gears yet?

rshelbygt
04-27-2004, 11:26 PM
Well... you got a point. But, I might add - I'm on season #3 with my mod motor. Haven't touched the thing. It keeps making more and more power too. :D I think it's just breaking in. Pearson was the first mod motor failure.

Now look at the flip side here on the East coast. Let's count the "single-bump-sticked-monuments-to-ineffieciency" failures:
Koehler: he bought Ford's remaining stock of 302 blocks and still can't rebuild them fast enough

(I had a good laugh at the size 40 font, by the way...)

Nicely done.

Even when Shugg's motor does take a dump (and it will...ANY engine used in a racing environment will only last SO long) he really can't complain about anything. Holy crap...that engine has served as his daily driver + MANY HPDE's + over TWO full seasons of competition and a few instructor sessions at club events. Yeah....MOD motors don't last very long in a harsh, racing environment. ;)

Pearsons situation sucks. I hate that it gave up the ghost before he had a chance to enjoy all of those new suspension pieces. I would REALLY like to see him stick with another MOD motor...but obviously that decision is completely up to him. Maybe all three of us can get our mod motors built together....VOLUME DISCOUNT????? :thumbsup:

My Cobra
04-27-2004, 11:35 PM
i like to wear them with my pink skirt. ha ha j/k but my guess is that somethign screwed up...... pretty bad.

racercosmo
04-28-2004, 12:53 AM
I think if you leave them stock and don't do stupid things to them, 4.6s will last a long time. The 96 Cobra that was the original GR40 magazine car way back when is still running strong. After 4 years of being beat to death giving customers demo rideson track and off, it was sold to a people that continued to flog it on the race track. 59,000 miles. This year it became an AI car so the beatings continue. If you keep them oiled with a good pan and an Accusump, you shouldn't have problems.

racercosmo
04-28-2004, 12:56 AM
I don't mean to say that John did something stupid to his engine, it may have just blowed up for no good reason.

b_tone
04-28-2004, 08:10 AM
Nicely done.

Even when Shugg's motor does take a dump (and it will...ANY engine used in a racing environment will only last SO long) he really can't complain about anything. Holy crap...that engine has served as his daily driver + MANY HPDE's + over TWO full seasons of competition and a few instructor sessions at club events. Yeah....MOD motors don't last very long in a harsh, racing environment. ;)

Pearsons situation sucks. I hate that it gave up the ghost before he had a chance to enjoy all of those new suspension pieces. I would REALLY like to see him stick with another MOD motor...but obviously that decision is completely up to him. Maybe all three of us can get our mod motors built together....VOLUME DISCOUNT????? :thumbsup:

I only lost one pushrod motor (that you guys know about), and that was because of a defect in the crank machining. My current motor (Original 93 motor) has over 35K track miles on it and still makes 265rwhp/ 303lbft as dynoed at mid ohio.

Mystic_Cobra
04-28-2004, 08:57 AM
I might want to get in on this group discount if the timing is right. Should turn 135,000 miles this month.
still flogging...

98banana
04-28-2004, 09:00 AM
I might want to get in on this group discount if the timing is right. Should turn 135,000 miles this month.
still flogging...

Ooh! Me too... I need something to put in the new coupe... but I'm broke, so it's gotta be cheap!

b_tone
04-28-2004, 09:04 AM
Ooh! Me too... I need something to put in the new coupe... but I'm broke, so it's gotta be cheap!

Call Pearson, I hear he a mod motor that he'll let go for cheap. Some assembly/welding may be required...

rshelbygt
04-28-2004, 09:25 AM
still flogging...

I should hit 95,000 miles this month with mine. I'm just going to flog it until it dies...then it's time to get serious :)

You know...this Pushrod/Modular debate is entertaining but silly. Pushrod, Modular, 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 8 cylinder....really doesn't matter to me...... as long as it is a FORD. :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if the known 4.6 issues (oiling issues, oil pump gear, etc.) have been addressed/corrected in the 05 Mustang?

Later....

johnbasf
04-28-2004, 06:07 PM
I should hit 95,000 miles this month with mine. I'm just going to flog it until it dies...then it's time to get serious :)

You know...this Pushrod/Modular debate is entertaining but silly. Pushrod, Modular, 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 8 cylinder....really doesn't matter to me...... as long as it is a FORD. :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if the known 4.6 issues (oiling issues, oil pump gear, etc.) have been addressed/corrected in the 05 Mustang?

Later....

If they were corrected Tone would NEVER admit it. :D

johnbasf
04-28-2004, 06:40 PM
Some assembly required...... :D

johnbasf
04-28-2004, 06:42 PM
My souvenir...

Black Horse
04-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Something for the trophy Case there John! I always knew if you could bottle the stuff........

~Sitting here howling at the thought of a pink shirt wearin', knee sock sporting, he-man of he-mans pushing the wheelbarrow around~

97whitevert
04-28-2004, 07:40 PM
DITTO!!! :(

wreckm
04-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Hey John, That looks like one of those N.C. moonshine jars! I have only heard of them though.

Mystic_Cobra
04-28-2004, 11:57 PM
The wheel barrow is too funny. You should get some super glue and see if you can put the piston back together and do a little CSI to figure out the failure.
:p

wildhorsesracin
04-29-2004, 05:50 PM

He's got a good Point!

I wouldn't have done as well as I did in AI/X if it weren't for the regular engine failures in front of me!!!

The one I remember most was when Schlick's blew and caught fire at Summit Pt - that was a beauty - or the time at CMP when Anderson's blew crossing the finish line - I was right behind him! :thumbsup:

"In order to finish first, you must first finish" :cool:

PS. sorry, couldn't resist the 40pt font - ciao! i am off to RA for the GRM party!

wildhorsesracin
04-29-2004, 05:54 PM
BTW - Are those corduroy sox on rainbow boy? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

racercosmo
04-30-2004, 01:07 PM
All of this smack going on, but with the exception of Hoover, who ever finishes in front of Shugg?

rshelbygt
04-30-2004, 03:08 PM
All of this smack going on, but with the exception of Hoover, who ever finishes in front of Shugg?

Good question! Shugg has been a good sport about all of this name-calling and kidding. I give him a ton of credit for not getting on here and blasting everyone that has had fun at his expense (me included). I'm all for having fun and kidding around...but sometimes it gets to be a bit much... I'm waiting for the day that Shugg goes POSTAL on all of us ;)

98banana
04-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Good question! Shugg has been a good sport about all of this name-calling and kidding. I give him a ton of credit for not getting on here and blasting everyone that has had fun at his expense (me included). I'm all for having fun and kidding around...but sometimes it gets to be a bit much... I'm waiting for the day that Shugg goes POSTAL on all of us ;)
I don't know... I think Shugg dishes it out almost as well as he takes it. :D I bet if he does go postal though, he'll have a pink gun in a corduroy holster. :p

SIUNARA
04-30-2004, 06:54 PM
We kid because we care. We love you Shugg. :barf: ;)

97whitevert
05-01-2004, 08:31 AM
We kid because we care. We love you Shugg. :barf: ;)
yeah what don said....:barf::barf: :rotf:

svt_coupe
05-03-2004, 05:23 PM
I don't know... I think Shugg dishes it out almost as well as he takes it. :D I bet if he does go postal though, he'll have a pink gun in a corduroy holster. :p

L O L. Good one dude. It ain't pink, it's purple, and the holster is made out of leopard-print silk. How do you feel about that now? Dolt. :rolleyes:

Nah... I ain't going postal. Heck, they (US Postal) just dropped support of Lance Armstrong - he's going for his 6th Tour de France victory which could make him the first ever to win 6 Tours. What's up with that?!? So "postal" ain't for me.

It's all in good fun, no worries. (twitch twitch)

COBRA #17
05-03-2004, 07:02 PM
I'm still waiting for the spandex pics !!!!! :drunk: :crazy:

Yeah it's all in fun, but is it just me or are things just not the same???
:bawling: :dunno: :scratch: :nope:

I just can't get my self in the mood to even work on the car ??? :scratch: :nope:

timz06
05-03-2004, 07:08 PM
too bad you ford boys won't see the light and just run a corvette...50 year old technology mya be primitive but it works, all this new fangled stuff.?

John, haven't been around for a while, sorry to hear about your engine, hope you get going again soon!

justagt
05-03-2004, 07:21 PM
I just can't get my self in the mood to even work on the car ???

All I can say is ditto, ditto, ditto. I agree with you big time.

wreckm
05-03-2004, 07:33 PM
We kid because we care. We love you Shugg. :barf: ;)Me too. me too!

98banana
05-03-2004, 08:22 PM
L O L. Good one dude. It ain't pink, it's purple, and the holster is made out of leopard-print silk. How do you feel about that now? Dolt. :rolleyes:

Nah... I ain't going postal. Heck, they (US Postal) just dropped support of Lance Armstrong - he's going for his 6th Tour de France victory which could make him the first ever to win 6 Tours. What's up with that?!? So "postal" ain't for me.

It's all in good fun, no worries. (twitch twitch)

I hadn't heard that about Lance!!! :( I bought a Trek like his because of him. He's like the Bryan Shugg of bicycling. :D

SIUNARA
05-03-2004, 08:36 PM
"too bad you ford boys won't see the light and just run a corvette..."

Nah...we like the challenge of learning how to drive our suspensionally impaired vehicles. What fun would it be to buy a car that makes you look like a good driver when you can actually learn to be one. :eek: :eek:

OUCH...was that out loud?!?! ;) :D

wildhorsesracin
05-03-2004, 10:12 PM
We kid because we care. We love you Shugg. ;)

to quote the immortal Telly Savalas:

Who luvs ya baby? :bounce:

wildhorsesracin
05-03-2004, 10:16 PM
I just can't get my self in the mood to even work on the car ??? :scratch: :nope:

I am bringing my new car home next week - and I am excited! :bounce: :bounce:

Watching all those cars last weekend GRM party at the Mitty Classic at
Road Atlanta has me motivated! :burnout: :whipit: :flash:

It was fun flogging Mini's at the Kumho test track in T-5/T-6... :thumbsup:

Henry was right - those HSR folks definitely know how to race & party! :thumbsup:

svt_coupe
05-04-2004, 08:47 AM
He's like the Bryan Shugg of bicycling. :D

:bs:
:barf:

svt_coupe
05-04-2004, 08:53 AM
All I can say is ditto, ditto, ditto. I agree with you big time.

DO NOT believe Will. You should have seen how excited he was to pull out Pearson's bomb. He was a little school girl. I mean... like a little school girl.

wildhorsesracin
05-04-2004, 08:54 AM
He's like the Bryan Shugg of bicycling. :D

Does he wear corduroys too? :eek:

Who luvs ya baby?

justagt
05-04-2004, 04:59 PM
DO NOT believe Will. You should have seen how excited he was to pull out Pearson's bomb. He was a little school girl. I mean... like a little school girl.

Someone had to do it. We couldn't wait for Bryan " just got a maniucure so I can't get my nails dirty, and besides I wore a clean shirt and have to go back to work" Shugg to do it or we would still be there. :p

skeeter.

johnbasf
05-04-2004, 05:17 PM
I help Will, Will helps me. You should try that Shugg. :D :D

wildhorsesracin
05-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Will does get excited when it comes to tearing things apart - he loved knocking walls out at the rental house...

but I can safely say that if he ever finishes a race and if he does manage to win he won't be jumping on the roof of his car... he is skeered of heights :eek:

http://www.wildhorsesracing.com/images/kojak.jpg

wreckm
05-04-2004, 06:12 PM
I hadn't heard that about Lance!!! :( I bought a Trek like his because of him. He's like the Bryan Shugg of bicycling. :DI watched a special on Lance last night. he uses a jar of vaseline in his shorts for every race! Yuk

flynfink
05-04-2004, 06:34 PM
ya'll don't know **** about bicycling..come ride with me sometime.

Shugg, call me 704-953-1187

timz06
05-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Siunara, good point!

COBRA #17
05-04-2004, 09:37 PM
I WANT TO RIDE !!!! I traded my drivers suit in for spandex this year !!! :thumbsup: Amy and I are REALLY loving ridding!!! Plus the area we ride in doesn't hurt either!!
I am trying to find a pair of spandex shorts for jay and my dad so they can ride with us! :flip: :bugeyes: :nono: I have bought 4 bikes since last nov. I have a thing with hobbies??? :crazy:

docb

98banana
05-04-2004, 10:08 PM
I WANT TO RIDE !!!! I traded my drivers suit in for spandex this year !!! :thumbsup: Amy and I are REALLY loving ridding!!! Plus the area we ride in doesn't hurt either!!
I am trying to find a pair of spandex shorts for jay and my dad so they can ride with us! :flip: :bugeyes: :nono: I have bought 4 bikes since last nov. I have a thing with hobbies??? :crazy:

docb
I bought a trek 5200 last year and bought Jimmy (my son) a Specialized bike to ride with me. The old Columbia Speedway that we ride at now and then makes a great, safe place to get exercise. If I could only get all the moron drivers off the road, then I would ride the bike on the road more often. All road cyclists get my respect...

justagt
05-04-2004, 10:16 PM
I watched a special on Lance last night. he uses a jar of vaseline in his shorts for every race! Yuk

Just warm it up first.

flynfink
05-05-2004, 04:12 PM

docb

Thread hijack in progress, call 911.

They are called lycra.. Try butt balm or chamois butter, much better than vasoline (block pores, causes sores). I've got 4 bicycles. Can't ride them much now because business is keeping me on the road. Where's Hot Springs? I'm gonna be in Richmond, VA next week and could bring a road bike or my mtb.
I usually avg. about 50-60 miles a week on the road and 10-20 in the woods. We do several charity rides (MS, Diabetes) a year.

johnbasf
05-05-2004, 04:46 PM
:rotf: at Jeff. Keep going I may need an AI bike.

wreckm
05-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Thread hijack in progress, call 911.

They are called lycra.. Try butt balm or chamois butter, much better than vasoline (block pores, causes sores). I've got 4 bicycles. Can't ride them much now because business is keeping me on the road. Where's Hot Springs? I'm gonna be in Richmond, VA next week and could bring a road bike or my mtb.
I usually avg. about 50-60 miles a week on the road and 10-20 in the woods. We do several charity rides (MS, Diabetes) a year.We live in the mountains so flat landers beware. We ride about 20 miles a day but me from the truck coaching Hoovy!!I still cant figure why he insists I wear"LYCRA", the truck seat has never gave me any problems!!

SIUNARA
05-05-2004, 11:24 PM
You know, I was starting to gain some respect for you biker guys until the words..."BUTT BALM" came out.

98banana
05-06-2004, 08:35 AM
You know, I was starting to gain some respect for you biker guys until the words..."BUTT BALM" came out.
:rotf:!!! I will readily announce that I have been riding road bikes off and on for over 20 years and I have NEVER used or even heard of butt balm. If it gets to the point that I have to use it, I'll walk. :eek:

flynfink
05-06-2004, 12:15 PM
:rofl:!!! I will readily announce that I have been riding road bikes off and on for over 20 years and I have NEVER used or even heard of butt balm. If it gets to the point that I have to use it, I'll walk. :eek:

Tom, try riding a century or a double century. You'll know why there's Butt Balm. Peace.

98banana
05-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Tom, try riding a century or a double century. You'll know why there's Butt Balm. Peace.
I've ridden centuries way back when. Never needed anything down there. The only time the saddle bothers me is in the first few weeks of getting back on the bike. I'll be going through that very soon since it's warmed up again.

We all need to get together and ride somewhere. :thumbsup:

wildhorsesracin
05-06-2004, 02:59 PM
TMI! TMI! TMI!

(Too Much Information!) :eek: :eek:

COBRA #17
05-07-2004, 10:51 PM
Yeah Jay is an excelent pacer! GO GO GO GO !!! With Coors light in one hand and the other on the wheel!!! :drunk:

We're really getting in to this, I wish I had gotten into this 10 years ago!!!
Hot Springs is about 3 hrs west of richmond, really on the other side of the state! I can be in WVA in 30 min or less. I am 50 min north of Roanoke on 220. If you guys want to come up and camp out one weekend and ride I WOULD be glad to get the Wife to supply the food !!! Just ask John or Jay about her cooking!!! :hail: :headbang:
I just bought 12 acers with some awesome spots for camping and PARTY'N !!

LETS DO IT !!!! Just name the time and I'll get the grubb!!! I'm sure Jay wouldn't mind pacing the pack!!! He might even through in a few BEERS!!!

I've road 300.2 miles since march 1st !!! Amy's got at least 175 or so!!!
SHE RULES !!!

DOCB !!!

racercosmo
05-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Now I'm getting scared. All of this talk about vaseline and butt balm, now Hoover is inviting all of you guys camping. :nono:

johnbasf
05-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Only in the mountains of VA. :rotf:

wildhorsesracin
05-09-2004, 03:52 PM
OOOOHHHH NOOOOO!!!! :barf: :barf: :barf:

That conjures up pictures of Jay yelling "Squeal like a pig....weeeeeee" :barf: :barf: :barf:

this post is intended for humorous purposes only, and this disclaimer is for those who are NOT hillbillies (j/k)

98banana
05-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Only in the mountains of VA. :rotf:
Nice ink!

justagt
05-09-2004, 06:18 PM
for once in my life, I just can't think of anything to say.

johnbasf
05-09-2004, 07:33 PM

Damn!!! Mark this date down on all your calendars. :rotf:

wildhorsesracin
05-09-2004, 07:40 PM

this is a rare moment - I think we should ALL cherish it! :D :rotf:

flynfink
05-09-2004, 10:01 PM
:rotf:

jimmysidecarr
05-09-2004, 11:01 PM
John.... I'm new to the boards but I know a little bit about engine forensics(cause of death)... certainly no expert, but I have a couple question/comments.
The oiling in the 32v fords is not all that bad usually a canton pan, a cooler and billet gears is all you need..... accusump just that much better.
I would love to measure whats left of the upper ring land and compare it to an undamaged piston(or the spec).....
I would predict the top of the piston has deformed out and over the top ring.... and grown in diameter.... contacted the wall..... broke the wrist pin out of the piston bosses.... chunks then flew up and bent/broke valves.... and some where along the line (possibly right after the piston made tight contact with the wall) the rod bolts failed(which could have caused the valve contact in the first place)
Notice there are NO BLUE PARTS!!! that means the was always good oiling.
Now if the ring lands are collapsed..... What could cause that?????

Detonation.....
But there is no blower, or spray..... what would cause that...I run good gas????

Heat.... specifically combustion chamber face heat... our heads run very hot... I'll bet that a vapor barrier formed(steam) due to high heat conditions... and the face, after being insulated by the steam, had it's face temps spike right out the roof..... which just causes more detonation, which causes even more(unusually high combustion temps)...

Now of course all I've seen are pictures on the internet.... so I can't possibly know .......but I do know some of our weaknesses with these engines.... and cooling IMHO is the #1 killer of 32v Fords....
Is this a full on road racer... or a dual purpose street/track event car?

If your motor man comes back and says....Were you running kinda hot that day??..... ask him if the top ring land were caved in(they get pounded by detonation which is a lot like hitting them with a hammer)

I'm going to include a link to a company that is currently working with a road race team... they are working on a cooling system fix for 32v Fords...T=stat location and restriction is a known problem
Water pump cavitaqtion above 5500 rpm is a known problem
And the water jacket in our heads is a fairly well documented and acknowledged problem(left head coolant flow especially)...
Check out this guys research and patents, and the different racing venues that have used his products.... I thought very impresive.
No hard parts available yet but I'm expecting soon(I hope) we will at least see ... a cavitation free water pump(likely good to 7k)
A less restrictive better located t-stat and housing, and perhaps(I can dream can't I???)..............
the holy grail of cooiling mods......

an externaly plumbed reverse cooling system(like he developed for small block chevys).... to be honest I would not expect this last one too soon I doubt if there is anough market or interest in this mod.

And he is the guy that invented/developed waterless cooling systems...
Which coupled with the Apten left head cooling mod

http://www.apten-us.com/performance/03cobra/coolant.asp

would go a long way to enhance our longevity outlook...
I know you guys are probably saying who the hell is this Jimmysidecarr guy...
Well i'm nobody....
except an older gearhead who is very careful who he listens to......
I listen to proven engine builders with a track record...
me I'm just an Old Ford parts guy

If you enjoy engine science.... you will love this guys site
http://www.evanscooling.com/index2.html
Good luck with your car I hope it goes well for you
and I hope some of this info may be helpfull...
Jimmy :thumbsup:

justagt
05-10-2004, 09:39 AM
this is a rare moment - I think we should ALL cherish it! :D :rotf:

I will give you something to cherish.