PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Chip when putting in a blower

barrsky9
04-27-2004, 11:05 PM
I am about to put a Vortech blower in my 97 Cobra, and was wondering if it was required that I have the stock chip replaced. I have been told both sides of the argument, with one saying "don't change the chip if you don't need to" and one saying "definitely need a new chip with the blower. I have some other mods done already (basically all intake and exhuast, with Mac Headers, Bassani pipes and cats, etc), but my big question was the chip requirement. Any ideas???

redsnake99
04-27-2004, 11:23 PM
Most folks would say to get a chip tuned specifically for your blower to get the right air/fuel mix and the best power curve. My setup wouldn't have lasted nearly long as it has without it.

:thumbsup:

NO 5 OH
04-27-2004, 11:48 PM
Most folks would say to get a chip tuned specifically for your blower to get the right air/fuel mix and the best power curve. My setup wouldn't have lasted nearly long as it has without it.

:thumbsup:

And just how many miles are on it now, Dave? I heard a rumor going around that Ford was going to buy it back to see exactly what they did right on your car to keep it from going kaboom ;);)

And to stay on topic... I would definitely agree with Dave that you need a chip/tune after the blower goes on. It will keep the tune safe and make more power all the way through the power band than without it. I'd recommend having it "dyno tuned" as most supercharger companies "generic" chip usually isn't up to par.

Shannon

STANGBUM
04-28-2004, 07:38 AM
I am about to put a Vortech blower in my 97 Cobra, and was wondering if it was required that I have the stock chip replaced. I have been told both sides of the argument, with one saying "don't change the chip if you don't need to" and one saying "definitely need a new chip with the blower. I have some other mods done already (basically all intake and exhuast, with Mac Headers, Bassani pipes and cats, etc), but my big question was the chip requirement. Any ideas???

When Custom Performance installed my Vortech The chip that came with the kit was burned to lean so CP reccommended to go with another chip (we went with Autologic) and had a good tune. Been right for over 2 years.

tcrews
04-28-2004, 08:22 AM
If you don't get a chip for your setup with the blower then expect your engine to last about as long as it takes from the shop doing the install to your house.

Timing, fuel, etc... all have to be adjusted for the massive increase in air being forced in to the engine.

barrsky9
04-29-2004, 10:19 PM
To all respondants, appreciate the heads up. This is what I thought, but when I took the car to get it baseline dyno'd the guy told me not to mess with the chip, which was not what Custom Performance told me. Thanks again.:)