PDA

View Full Version : SLP now available for Cobra

ausie
04-28-2004, 06:49 AM
I have been looking into replacement mufflers for my 01 Cobra, in fact the one's I am interested in are not mufflers at all but resonators. What got me interested in this type of muffler/resonator was the "two guys garage" showing an installation of an AEROTURBINE exhaust. Recently I have noticed that there are a few on the market. A resonator is a straigh through desing without baffles, instead it uses an air foil ring at the exit end. Just the other day I found an add in "muscle mustangs & Fast fords" from SLP (that chevy speed shop) which had a complete cat back kit with a similar resonator as the aeroturbine. Since it is a multi piece arrangement, does it have to be welded together once it is fitted to the car? The kit price is about the same for two aero turbine mufflers (without pipes attached) which does seem attractive since I could install these myself without having to cut the old mufflers off the existing exhaust. Since I do not plan on replacing the CATS and Factory Headers just yet, the resonators seem like a good start if any. Does anyone have comments on SLP products?

smashedheadcat
04-29-2004, 04:24 PM
I've gotta buddy with them, they sound great, the look great, and they BOLTED right in no problems what-so-ever. Buy and enjoy the newfound power, sound, and look.

Josh

ausie
05-01-2004, 11:01 AM
I did send the SLP guys a few questions on the kit. I will wait until I hear back from them. I basically asked a few questions on the resonators which may get them to work a bit. I think I have made my decision to go ahead and place an order, but I will wait to see what their response is first.

How much of a gain did your friend experience with the kit? How much louder is it? It would be nice for the sound wave to arrive before I do :D . Since I do not hear much of the exhaust note with the stock set up, I do once in a while hear it when going through overpasses, and it sounds sweet, If I can only beef it up a bit and get some more torque by reducing some of the back pressure will be my goal. Just as long as I don't get pulled over by the sound police, but then again they should be focused on those Harley's (sometimes I wish my car was just as loud!):rotf:

smashedheadcat
05-01-2004, 09:31 PM
If you like loud, the SLP isn't a bad start. My friend has stock exhaust with just the SLP loud mouth, and it definately woke her up. He didn't dyno at the last dyno day we had, so I can't speak of any gains. I'm sure it picked up though. It sounds good. I would have purchased that setup for my '03, but I didn't because I didn't want our cars to sound the same.

ausie
05-02-2004, 09:33 AM
:rotf: :touche: That is funny, I never considered a dualing exhaust issue.

smashedheadcat
05-02-2004, 11:22 AM
:rotf: :touche: That is funny, I never considered a dualing exhaust issue.

I just don't want to be next to him and have our cars sound the same. We need some variety. :D

ausie
05-04-2004, 05:52 AM
You could opt for long tube headers, that will change the sound quite a bit:flip: . Even better yet, a good set of radical cams will even make is sound as if you are ready to kill. Pack on a blower or even a cetrigugal supercharger and you may sound like you are ready for launch into orbit. Two years back, I heard a nasty 5.0L tuned to the kilter and it sounded more like a jet engine than a piston driven mustang, and that was at idle. :eek: That car was a true beast for sure. :thumbsup:. As for the SLP, the increase in torque and possible fuel milage is worth it. My car sounds just great the way it is (while driving through an overpass, oh thats what it sounds like). Having resonators vrs mufflers would make a different tonal sound that may be an improvement. For some reason or another, at WOT my car does not sound like the typical V8. Another reason I had to have this one was it accelerated better than the others that I test drove (in august of 01, the car I got was built at the end of the production of the SVT cobras in the first week of October - according to the door plate). I have a friend who is a chevy dealer who thinks that the corvett is the best car out there. I gave him a ride and changed his mind:D or at least made him think differently. It took only 11 seconds to do 0-110 with the AC on, and a total passenger load of 500lbs. He timed me while getting onto the highway, so I stopped on the ramp to make sure he gets the total picture of what ford offers. It was his stop watch and his eyes on the speedo, so there may be some error in the measurement. It just does not make sense. One of these days I will have to get the car dynoe'd to see what my car puts out before I do any mods to it. I am sure the power is where it is supposed to be, but at least there is one way to find out. Since the dealer where I bought the thing is a bit shady (as for the rouch products they offer which are not really rouch at all - as reported by a complaint from another SVT/rouch dealer) sort of made me skeptical if I actually bought an actual Cobra, I highly doupt that the dealer would take a GT and replace the motor rear end since there would be no profit in doing that. I did run the vin numbers to validate the car is a cobra.

ausie
05-21-2004, 06:16 AM
I finnaly got the SLP catback installed. WOW, nice deep sound. :thumbsup:

ausie
05-22-2004, 08:24 AM
I decided to go cruising last night, to my surprise I got some comments on how my car sounded. "your car sounds great man!" "I heard many mustangs before, but that one has some serious balls to it". It is funny how a simple change to the exhause will make others think your car has more under the hood than it does. I was not expecting to be the center of attention. I did get alot of looks from the ladies out driving and walking to the clubs. :cool: but then again their attention was on the car. :( At least is sound great :D