PDA

View Full Version : Car is down...

jkb
05-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Car wouldn't start on Friday. Turned over but would not catch. Checked the fuel cut off switch/ fuel valve on rail/ and all my connections but all seemed fine. Had it towed to a mechanic and after a few tests he thinks it my processor. :( He won't know for sure until Monday. If it is it I will need a new one and it will have to be reflashed by Ford. Anybody else heard of this happening? The car does have 108K on it and is kinda stock (nothing major). Any info would be good.
Thomas

97Whitesnake
05-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Whoops, didn't know my wife was allready logged in! Oh well...

smashedheadcat
05-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Does the fuel pump come on when you turn the key forward? Just some basic stuff........ Does the car get fuel, spark, and does it have compression? If it does it should light off. Just turn the key forward, then use a small nail or screw on the fuel rail to pop the little "poppet" or whatever and see if some fuel sprays out. If so, fuel is getting to the rail obviously. Just a starting point to work with. Also, does the THEFT Light blink when you're turning the car over? If so, the key may need reprogrammed.......

Josh

97Whitesnake
05-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Josh,
Fuel is getting to the rail. My mechanic suspected ignition next and he checked it out and there was plenty of spark. He said he has one test he wants to do on it tomorrow to make sure its the computer. I cant remember if the theft light was blinking? I've never heard of the key going bad? That interests me though. I have to go out to his shop to get something out of the car tomorrow so I'll bring my extra keys and try them. That would be sweet if it were just the key! I wont hold my breath but it doesn't cost anything for me to try. Thanks for the imput, I'll update tomorrow.

ausie
05-03-2004, 07:47 AM
Makes me wonder if a scan tool would work. Or at least help detect a computer glitch. Hmmm, have spark, fuel pressure, engine turns over but will not start :scratch: . Did you check the tail pipes for banana's? :banana:. Could it be the timming chain is not moving? perhaps the key slipped out of the shaft, or a broken sprocket. (more than likely not the case unless you hear some valve munching going on when you kick it over). If it were the IAC you could easily get it started with a little throttle, as long as the throttle cable was still intact, but you would have noticed that too. I think Josh has a good point about the key. Especially if the key has it's own power source like a small lithium battery inside it which wears out eventually. I have heard of that before with other cars. IF your car has a clutch switch or a brake switch that is required to be activated to start the car it may be faulty. Best of luck in getting your car up and running

smashedheadcat
05-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Yeah, check to see if the theft light is blinking. If so, try a different key. You can also try turning the key off and on about 20 times rapidly, then try to start it. Also, check the fuse box under the hood. one of the big yellow 20 amp fuses may be blown. This could cause that problem (fuel injectors not opening?)

97Whitesnake
05-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Well, my mechanic is 99% sure its the processor. That mean the car has to go to a dealership because they are the only ones that can put my data into a hew processor. I was hoping that it would be a easier/cheaper fix but no luck. :(

ausie
05-07-2004, 06:53 AM
ouch, that hurts:edmond:

97Whitesnake
05-13-2004, 09:34 AM
ouch, that hurts:edmond:
Looks like I lucked out! I took the car to get a second opinion/analysis and the guy called last night and told me that it was my Crank Shaft Position Sensor. A good deal cheaper than a new computer! I haven't seen anyone else with this issue in a Mustang though. Anyone else heard of this? Hopefully all is well.