PDA

View Full Version : Who's rubber are you driving on?

ausie
05-09-2004, 09:29 AM
:burnout: I think I became known as the tire tester from the local tire dealer. So far at 24k miles I have gone through too many sets of tires to finally find performance that I desire in a tire. I have burned throught the stock rubber in no time flat 5000 miles is all I got out of the stock BFGoodrich Comp TA's. Followed by a set of Michillin Pilot Sports which seemed to brake too soon on turns but not as bad as the stock rubber. Now I am stuck on the Bridgestone Potenza Pole position S-03 which I find to be the best all around summer tire which is extremely hard to exceed to brake loose. Perfect grip on the road! I have yet to test out the Nitto brand, simply because I cannot find such in my area. For now I am sold on the S-03's. :thumbsup: So the question is, what are you driving on? Would you reccomend your tire to others? I am sure there are requirements for tire selection especially if you take your car to the track (strip or road course), but for overall street performance I have yet to ride on anything better than the S-03's (dry or wet).

My Cobra
05-09-2004, 10:21 AM
i am a broke college kid so i have fuzion ZRI's 275-40-17's with the water tread. they are Z rated (164+ i think not sure) i think they said bf goodRICH makes them but i am not for certin what brand or who makes them. i wanted some nittos but nobody around here sells them. cause i live in the sticks

tcrews
05-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Try some Firestone Firehawk SZ50's......excellent tire with great grip in dry or wet conditions and they last a decent amount of time.

Firme
05-09-2004, 10:28 AM
For now, I am riding on NITTO 555 street tires. For about $110 a pop, they are great. Their wet traction is not the best, but I open tracked with them, and they did ok.

If I had more $$ to throw at tires, I would prolly get the KDW's that replaced the stock comp T/A's.

The biggest factor I have seen that "Eats" the tires on IRS cobra's is alignment. It seem that not even the ford dealerships know how to align these cars. I was going through tires (especially back tires) pretty quick, till I got a competant shop to align the car correctly.

nckissfan
05-09-2004, 12:04 PM
I just bought a set of Toyo Praxis 4's. They feel real good. They look pretty good, as well. I was thinking about the new performance tire from Hankook, but they are behind on production. I read the review in MMFF. They sound like decent tires, at a lower cost.

I had the snake aligned when I had these installed. After hitting that huge hunk of asphalt on a bridge. I had to.

Aaron94
05-10-2004, 05:12 PM
I am running BFG G-Force KDW 275/40/17 and i must say they are awesome, very good road holding, seem to wear not so bad... They actually have a higher treadwear rating than most Z rated tires.

Brian97Cobra
05-13-2004, 12:06 AM
I've ran 3 sets of sumitimos, they hook well and hold up even better. They are pretty cheap too.

Stavesacre21
05-13-2004, 10:13 PM
I've never been huge on burnin rubber, or even peelin out at all. When I bought the car, it had a brand called "Falkin" on it. Never heard of it before, but I must say that they seem to perform nicely. However, i'm guessin that if you love burnin out everywhere ya go, these probably arn't your brands......seeings how i've never even heard of them before......

BTW, anyone ever heard of Fuzion tires? When I went into Firestone to have them check the A/C, they tried to sell me 4 of these for the unbelieveble price of $500. Anyone heard anything on how these perform?

ausie
05-14-2004, 06:49 AM
I have seen the fuzion brand, I am also familiar with Falkon tires as well. They were once a PEP Boys exclusive tire back in 1990. They were not bad tires and were a better alternative to Good Year Eagle GT's cost wise. Falkon even offers a wheel for the Mustang. If you have a set of good tires they will hook up before they break loose. I have noticed as some tires get worn they perform poorly. I have only gone through 5 sets of tires for my cobra (with 24k miles on it). Most of which have performed well during the summer, but when getting caught in a freak snow storm, it was like putting 3000 miles on the tread. The only tires I ever wore out that required replacemet were the stock tires (BFGoodwrich Comp TA) which may have been linked to a misalignment. Actually they were great tires to start off with to learn how the new vehicle performs, what to expect when hitting a turn, etc... The only time I ever purposfully attempted to sit and burn the rubber off was when I had Michillin Pilot Sport AS tires on the car. I probably would have preferred the summer Pilots vrs the mud and snow rated all season AS. When the tread on those tires wore about 1/2 way, they became unpredictable. I had them removed from the car prematurely (there was plenty of tread wear left on them, and for the cost of that tire, it was not worth it). I did some research on tires and found a good tire that I wanted to get as a replacement for the Michillin's. So I bought a set of Bridgestone potenza pole position S-03's. They cost less than the Michillin but they perform far better than I expected, even when wet, although they are not very good when temperatures drop below 40F.

Stavesacre21
03-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Speaking of rubber, anyone know what the optimal PSI is for stock rims/tires on the 96-98? Im just curious what the best route would be to take when gettin her out this spring :cool:

Abneriel
03-08-2005, 11:32 PM
I am running BFG G-Force KDW 275/40/17 and i must say they are awesome, very good road holding, seem to wear not so bad... They actually have a higher treadwear rating than most Z rated tires.
I ran those too, and the rears lasted for about 25k before I replaced them with 555Rs after I had gears installed. Amazing wet traction with the KDWs...I still have them on the front and they work great, but they are starting to tramline a bit now that they are worn.

ausie
03-09-2005, 05:56 AM
stavesacre21, look inside the drivers door, there should be a sticker or tag on the body or on the door itself that provides tire size and recomended inflation.

BigRedMachine
03-09-2005, 09:52 AM
I'm riding on Kumho ECSTA Supra 712's that I ordered from tire rack. They hook up pretty nice and were on sale, so it's what I could afford at the time. For cheap tires, I'm impressed. They were going to be substitutes until I could get the Nitto's I wanted, but I might stick with these for a while.

Stavesacre21
03-09-2005, 10:46 AM
stavesacre21, look inside the drivers door, there should be a sticker or tag on the body or on the door itself that provides tire size and recomended inflation.
ok, that's gotta go down in the books as quite possiably the stupiest question i'd yet to ask :doh2: I believe I actually knew that one too.....:rolleyes: thanx

Rodo
03-09-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm riding on Kumho ECSTA Supra 712's that I ordered from tire rack. They hook up pretty nice and were on sale, so it's what I could afford at the time. For cheap tires, I'm impressed. They were going to be substitutes until I could get the Nitto's I wanted, but I might stick with these for a while.
I have on some kumho 712's now and they do't hook until about halfway though second,however; they do work very well in the rain which is a definit plus. They also seem to last a while if you don't burn em', well on the front anyway:D

flynfink
03-09-2005, 12:22 PM
When you own two cobras, you get to be really friendly with the tire dealers.

I used to run the BFG Comp T/A's, great tire in their day.
I moved to the Firestone Firehawk SZ50's on a friend's recommendation and couldn't have been happier, great traction wet or dry, predicatble turn in and low noise. So of course Firestone discontinued them.
I recently bought 18x9 rims and thought I'd try the Nitto 555's. Could not get them to balance, they came egg shaped.. as a replacement, the dealer offered up the new BFG G-force KDW's (275/35-18) and after about 500 miles I'm pretty happy. I don't think they have as much grip as the Firehawk's and are noisier.

We have had several sets of of Kumho's on the 94 and for a daily driver (my son) they work well in all weather.

Because of the rate at which we go thru tires, I tend to avoid the high end tires (Goodyear, Michelin). I know they make great tires, but when it costs me 2-3 times more to replace a set and the traction and handling difference is small, it isn't worth it IMHO.

sssvtcobra
03-09-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm using Toyo T1's right now on mine, I'm not sure how many miles I have on them since I swapped cars and I forgot to look at the mileage on my old one. But they seem to be wearing pretty good. I think they are pretty quiet, but it's hard to tell with the loudmouth exhaust screaming. They hook and handle real nice compared to the other tires I have purchased before in the past. With living in Oregon they see rain and I have no problems in the wet weather. Although I do have them siped and that helps.

dewone
03-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Toyo's don't recommend them can't do 55 in the rain, without hydroplaning.:(
They hook ok in the dry, wear is to be decided. Came on the car.:(
Hope to replace soon.

sssvtcobra
03-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Which Toyo's do you have? I haven't had any problems with mine. And I do 65-70 on the freeway in the rain. I've even took corners or bends at high speeds without any problems. The siping also helps.

nckissfan
03-09-2005, 05:25 PM
I have the Toyo Proxes4, and have had no problem in the rain. They are ok tires, but I will get something different next time.

Big Daddy
03-09-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm running P-Zero Corsa Pirelli's. Here is what Pirellis says about them:

P Zero Corsa System has been developed for powered super sports cars producers and enthusiasts who take their car on the race track, whether for "track days" or "club racing", allowing them to maximise their cars performance. The features in tread pattern design, compound and structure, allows P Zero Corsa System to satisfy even the most demanding customers in terms of dry handling and braking without compromising on wet handling, noise performance and maximised contact patch with the road surface.

P Zero Corsa Direzionale is a semi-slick with a very stiff construction. P Zero Corsa Direzionale is a semi-slick with a very stiff construction. An innovative racing tread compound, ensures maximum grip while the use of ultra-light and flexible belts implies a very wide footprint area.

Original Equipment for the road version of Ferrari 360 Challenge and Porsche GT3, and targeted at the most prestigious car producers, P Zero Corsa System includes P Zero Corsa Direzionale on the front and P Zero Corsa Asimmetrico on the rear for outstanding aquaplaning resistance. Directional front tyres penetrate the water surface, clearing a path for the rears which complete water dispersal for increased driving safety.

Tread pattern

The directional design provides better wet handling characteristics, while the absence of continuous grooves eliminates the blocky structure of a conventional pattern.

These tires do very well but the wear life is horrible but when you have the ponies I have you need grip not long life! :D :thumbsup:

PMad
03-09-2005, 07:23 PM
My street tires are Kuhmo 712s. Not bad street tires for the money. The don't run real true but are a good value. I ran them at Waterford Hills when they were new and I was amazed at the traction. The only down side is the slight out of round. I've had two out of a set of four cause a vibration.

According to a recent test the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 was the best all around tire. The only sizes they make close to my stock size (245/45-17) is a 255/40 at $205 ea and 265/40 at $235 ea. Not cheap but it was the best by a lot. The second best tire is one I use for autocross the Falken Azenis RT-215. Great tire for the money, I'm on my second set. The down side is the largest size the come in is 245/45-17 ($125 ea). OK for pre 03 Cobras but ideally you'd like something a little bigger. I can tell you I regularly beat cars with race rubber with these tires. I have even beat a twin turbo 911 Porsche in the rain with them. So they work well there too.

PMad
03-09-2005, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=Big Daddy]I'm running P-Zero Corsa Pirelli's. Here is what Pirellis says about them:[QUOTE]

Big Daddy, have you run these in the wet? Most sources say they are a little scary on a wet track. Do you run these all the time or just on track days? At a sub 100 tread wear rating I'm not surprised they don't last.

The Falken Azenis have a tread wear rating of 200 so they can run as a street tire at most events.

Big Daddy
03-10-2005, 06:48 AM
[QUOTE=Big Daddy]I'm running P-Zero Corsa Pirelli's. Here is what Pirellis says about them:[QUOTE]

Big Daddy, have you run these in the wet? Most sources say they are a little scary on a wet track. Do you run these all the time or just on track days? At a sub 100 tread wear rating I'm not surprised they don't last.

The Falken Azenis have a tread wear rating of 200 so they can run as a street tire at most events.

I run them as my regular tire. When they are new they are ok in the rain but once they are worn forget about it! :D I don't run my car on wet tracks 'cause it has way to much HP to be messing around in the rain and so long as I'm not running to make money I'm going to watch in the rain! ;) :thumbsup:

djbobbyzee
03-10-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm a horsepower junkie. I was brought up by driving an olds 70's 442, a 79 T/A 400ci, 85 Camaro 5.0, two 87 IROC-Z's (both 5.7's one 5spd), & an 88 IROC-Z... All rears were between 373 & 411. (my uncle worked for GM, had no choice...I was forced). I lived in NJ. We had snow (one main reason for owning all these cars).

THEN I GREW UP, MOVED TO NC, AND BOUGHT A COBRA! :bounce:

In the NORTH I discovered the BF Goodrich KDWS & Continental Conti-ExtremeContact are two of the best handling street tires money can buy. Both tires took me thru 12k miles, hooked up in both wet and dry, and allowed me to gingerly operate my vehichles in upto 4" of snow. Mind you, I said GINGERLY. If you're in the NORTH... good choice for a daily driver.

In the SOUTH, I'm shopping with a newer mindset.
I've done my research & learned that Fuzion bogusly rates their tires. A 275 from edge to edge is really more like a 255 or 265. They measure from the edge of the tread which wraps around onto the sidewall for looks. Nice trick. No deal.
Falken as I understand it, is a Bridgestone sub company. So far they are on the top of my pick list. Sumitomo's rate about the same & cost about the same. I'm going with either on Mar 15th (next paycheck).
Khumo does make some pretty good bang for the buck, but I have heard you'll bald them after 3 autocross events.
BFG KDW's are deffinitely a good buy if they hold up like the KDWS's.

Anyone have more input?
Bob :bounce:

QuickSilver
03-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Ausie. I have had two sets of tires. when I got my car it had Perelli P7000 255/45/ZR-18 on the front and Nittos (don't remimber tipe and size) on the rear. The Nittos were worn and torn, so I put Perelli P7000 255/45/ZR-18 :thumbsup:on the front and rear and they did very good on the Tail of the Dragon (318 curves in a 11 mile stretch). They also did well in rain but they lasted 15,000 miles. I now have KUMHO ECSTA MX 265/35/ZR-18 paid $168. So far they have been good also in rain. I have not been able to go to the Dragon to test them out but soon. You get the bang for the buck with Kumho. All depends on what type of tire, how much rubber is on the tire, and what the tire is going to be used for.;)

MODS::eek:
KUMHO ECSTA MX 265/35/ZR-18
18" CHROME STEEDA ULTRA LIGHT RIMS
STEEDA CAT-BACK EXHAUST SYSTEM
STEEDA BILLET BULLET DOOR LOCK BUTTONS
STEEDA RACING LUG NUTS
STEEDA BILLET SHIFTER BEZEL W/ NAME
MGW 3-D COBRA SHIFT KNOB
BAER ERADISPEED VENTED CROSSED-DRILLED AND SLOTTED ROTORS
20% BLACK TINTED WINDOWS
BASSANI OFF ROAD X-PIPE W/ NO CAT`S
UPR REAR BUMPER INSERTS ( BLACK)
UPR BLU THUNDER NS SHIFTER
K & N AIR FILTER
DIABLO SPORT CHIP
CHROME COBRA LICENSE PLATE
SVT COBRA MUSTANG CLUB DASHBOARD BADGE
SVT COBRA MUSTANG CLUB ENGINE BADGE
SVT COBRA MUSTANG CLUB-THIRD BREAK LIGHT DECALhttp://mi3.aacdn.us/Jnco02/myride.JPG

ausie
03-11-2005, 06:41 AM
I have tried to find tires that would fit my rims and not require a spedo calibration. Since the BBS wheels migrated from my 01 to the 04 I noticed a big difference in handling. The Brigestone Potenze Pole position s-03's may have been okay for the 01, but after putting 10k miles on them, the did not handle well on the 04. It could have been alighnment issues between the two vehicles. They are a good tire for high speed, but not so good at low speeds (35mph or lower) since they tend to track the road surface. I settled on a set of Toyo Proxies T1S for this year. So far they hook up on cold roads when the temperature is below 30 degrees F. I could not say that for the Brigestones since they got harder when the temperatures dropped. Any summer tire will not perform well in cold weather, and forget driving on ice or snow with them on. Looks like I will see how they handle once after all the snow has melted and all the stones are cleaned off the streets come April. After driving around with them for a while, I feel confident that they will perform at speed as well as the bridgestone S-03's did. Hopefully I will get more life out of the rears. Sooner or later, depends on how many times I get to the track, I will get a set of drag radials and matching wheels for the rear so I can drive to the track without having to lug extra wheels and a jack along.

When these wear off, I may try Nittos, or something else.... or stick with the Proxies.

Zedoc
03-17-2005, 04:31 PM
If Cobras come with BFGoodrichs, isn't that the tire to buy?

RheacerDave
03-17-2005, 04:50 PM
I raced on BFG's for years when they had Team T/A. Great autoX tire, and so I bought their street tires.

Now they are import drag, ricer show and not really that good on the street.IMHO
(How can you take a company seriously that makes little yellow/blue/red marks on the road)
Lotsa bling, no zing.
Another thing to consider...Tire companies that support show drifting, as opposed to real by gosh drifting as in Silver Crown. A sport where the idea is use up a set of tires showing off in one afternoon, or show and not have to go.
see bling/zing above.
You spent big money on the car, spend a couple of hundred more and get Hoosiers or Goodyears to compete on. I, too, like Kumhos on the street, but have had problems with their race tires when they first introduced their race compound. (710's weren't the 1st to come apart at speed) so I don't race on them anymore.
Used 10-12 sets (still have a couple of sets laying around the garage) autocrossing, SOLO I, and 1 roadrace.

RF Cobra
03-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Falken as I understand it, is a Bridgestone sub company. So far they are on the top of my pick list. Sumitomo's rate about the same & cost about the same. I'm going with either on Mar 15th (next paycheck).
Bob :bounce:
According to Falken's site they are owned by The Sumitomo Rubber Industries Group which explains why they rate about the same. ;)

Which tires did you decide to get?

RF Cobra
03-17-2005, 06:26 PM
If Cobras come with BFGoodrichs, isn't that the tire to buy?
Manufacturers typically go with best price, not best performance. That said, the 03/04s have the Goodyears on them which are at the top of the price scale. Performance was decent but as the Finkster noted earlier, you can get similar performance out of tires costing much less.

Lots of good info here as I have to replace my Goodyears after only 8,600 miles. Ultimately it would be best to find a good street tire for everyday use and then get a set that is specifically made for drag racing or track events depending on what you want to do.

scocher
03-17-2005, 07:03 PM
When you own two cobras, you get to be really friendly with the tire dealers.

Tony should be married to a tire dealer! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

scocher
03-17-2005, 07:09 PM

P Zero Corsa Direzionale is a semi-slick with a very stiff construction. P Zero Corsa Direzionale is a semi-slick with a very stiff construction....

Looks like deja doo, BD! :what:

RF Cobra
03-17-2005, 07:31 PM

There's an idea. The club should go into the tire business. Members get tires at cost and the club makes money selling them to everyone else. Plus buyers could get member recommendations and expertise.

wrenchturner
03-17-2005, 07:34 PM

<--- is a mechanic at a tire dealer.. LOL.. should buy stock in the company.....LOL

As for the tires right now i have Goodyear Eagle F1-D3's this tire surprised me on how well it hooked and the dry and wet traction.

But this summer my new rims ment new tires since the F1's ar 17's and i have 18's now. I would have gotten the F1's again but they dont make them in the sizes i wanted. So i am giving the new BFG KDW 2's a try to see how they work. awesome looking tread on them.. ill let yall know how they work out..

scocher
03-17-2005, 08:30 PM
<--- is a mechanic at a tire dealer..

Do YOU want to marry Tony???? :naughty: :eek: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

scocher
03-17-2005, 08:35 PM
There's an idea. The club should go into the tire business. Members get tires at cost and the club makes money selling them to everyone else. Plus buyers could get member recommendations and expertise.

What an idea! We could add tires to our production of a "Cobra Tazer" :shockwave (for shooting annoying and dangerous ricer drivers - different thread). This could be just the beginning Hmmmm..... :scratch:

RF Cobra
03-17-2005, 10:14 PM
What an idea! We could add tires to our production of a "Cobra Tazer" :shockwave (for shooting annoying and dangerous ricer drivers - different thread). This could be just the beginning Hmmmm..... :scratch:

We keep this up and instead of someday having one club race car we could end up with 1 race car for every club member due to all the profits! :)

venomnous99
03-18-2005, 08:11 AM
I run Cooper Zeon 2XS. Due to the alignment of the car, especially the camber, I did alot of research to find a good cheap tire for fear I would go through them fast. Although with the alignment to the extremes and 10,000 miles on these tires they are showing almost no wear, and they grip tremendously in the corners. Straight off the line traction is not all that great, but cornering is. For the price I could not find a better tire in my research and interviews of other road racers. Now if you are looking for something to hook off the line, these are NOT the tire for you. My 99 is essentially stock and I can go all the way through fourth if I keep on it.

QuickSilver
03-18-2005, 12:44 PM
hey venomnous 99, I think I parked next to you yesterday at the turkeycreek wal-mart. I drive the silver 01' cobra. do you work over in that shopping center?:)

MODS: :rotf: :rotf:
STEEDA RACING LUG NUTS
MGW 3-D COBRA SHIFT KNOB
20% BLACK TINTED WINDOWS
K & N AIR FILTER
DIABLO SPORT CHIP
SVT COBRA MUSTANG CLUB-THIRD BREAK LIGHT DECAL

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/f68b621f/9568/__sr_/338c.jpg?phydxOCBLryyq3_6

casey99COBRA
03-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Nitto drag radials, though i have not had them long, i've done plenty of burn outs and they still look new... hook up really well too!

Zedoc
03-18-2005, 04:50 PM
... Ultimately it would be best to find a good street tire for everyday use ....
That's what I'm talk'n 'bout. Something that will do it all. So, what's that?

I'm not going to a track. But what came with my car is some generic brand I can't even remember the name of and they're 'HR's or 'SR's instead of 'ZR's so they ain't that cool. 8000 miles on a Goodyear kind of sucks.

ausie
03-19-2005, 07:28 AM
There are definately a handfull of tires to coose from for stock wheels. Speed rating is just a number. It may be helpful to know that what is listed is the maximum (safe?) speed the tire can handle before it flies apart. Getting a good tire that will perform well and not wear out too quickly is difficult to find since it all depends on driving habbits. I only had one half day to test out the stock Eagle F1's on the 04 since I was swapping the stock wheels for the BBS wheels that were on the 01. The Eagle F1's were not all that bad of a tire. They were relatively quiet, rolled flawlessly, and left a thick rubber dust on the rear bumper cover and that was without breaking loose the rear. My guess is that they would wear quick. Michillin Pilot Sport AS tires were not all that bad either, but the compound was too hard. Tires broke too early in turns, they did not hook well in the rain, but they did wear like iron. If you are one of those who does not expeed the posted speed limits on highway ramps, or take turns on windy roads that is sure enough to make your passenger squirm (assuming you had a passenger), then they are not the tire for you. Since most car manufactures design a given amount of understeer into vehicles, BFG's comp T/A's had a bit of understeer on an 01. The Pilot sports made it worse.

So far, the Toyo Proxies T1S seem to be a great fit into my driving habits. Of course the 03/04 suspension is a bit different than the 01 so the understeer issue will not be as noticable. They seem a bit more ballanced than the old Bridgestone Potenza S-03's (pulling G's out of those on tight turns an easy chore, but they also track any abnormal road surface flaws at low speed, a very predictable tire when pushing it hard, expect a bit of oversteer when pushing the limits. Excellent in the rain too.). I did not choose the Proxies for rain driving, but as a cost alternative to the Bridgestone Potenza's . Toyo Proxies T1S: [r18x10, 285/35 $482 total, f18x8.5, 245/35 $406 total, ouch $888.00 for shoes] I have spent that on just the rear tires in the Bridgestones brand. I basically was looking for a tire with the most contact patch area without moving into drag radials. I was however, tempted to get a set of the BFG KDWII's because the tread looks aggresive. Believe it or not, they were basically designed for SUV's and small compact imports but they do cary sizes that will fit the mustang. I am interested how they hold up and how they perform.

venomnous99
03-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Yah, that was me. I went to Nashville with my company for a conference. We used a rental car, and parked there for the carpool. I didn't get back till late and noticed that beautiful silver beast parked next to me. That is a very nice Cobra. And the Steeda's look alot better in person than I thought they would. But no I work in Oak Ridge, just parking for a carpool. I live in West Knoxville though. Hopefully see that nice car again soon. It really is a good looking car, and it stands out nicely.

hey venomnous 99, I think I parked next to you yesterday at the turkeycreek wal-mart. I drive the silver 01' cobra. do you work over in that shopping center?:)

MODS: :rotf: :rotf:
STEEDA RACING LUG NUTS
MGW 3-D COBRA SHIFT KNOB
20% BLACK TINTED WINDOWS
K & N AIR FILTER
DIABLO SPORT CHIP
SVT COBRA MUSTANG CLUB-THIRD BREAK LIGHT DECAL

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/f68b621f/9568/__sr_/338c.jpg?phydxOCBLryyq3_6

wrenchturner
03-19-2005, 08:29 PM
I was however, tempted to get a set of the BFG KDWII's because the tread looks aggresive. Believe it or not, they were basically designed for SUV's and small compact imports but they do cary sizes that will fit the mustang. I am interested how they hold up and how they perform
those are the ones i have sitting on the floor in my shop on some saleen rims waiting for spring to come to make it on the car and on the road.tread pattern looked interesting. alot like the F1-D3's with some added groves. As soon as all this damn snow goes away ( we are getting more this sunday.. and more later in the week) :eek: :mad: I was to get the 18x10's and the 295's on the back.. cause they fill the wheel well up so nice... LOL take it out and see how the tires handle.. prices were not to bad either.. 295/35/18 were 233 and the 265/35/18 were 193 not alltogether to bad for tires of that size. but... have to see if they feel nice..

scocher
03-19-2005, 08:45 PM
...As for the tires right now i have Goodyear Eagle F1-D3's this tire surprised me on how well it hooked and the dry and wet traction....

I have Goodyear Eagle F1-GSD3's. Are those the same? :dunno: My husband did all the tire research and made the big tire decision. At first I thought the tread looked wierd :eek: The set cost us around $950. For daily driving, rain or shine, they do a really good job. We, also, ran the dragon with these. :thumbsup: I did drag race with these tires, also, and they were fine for me but I am inexperienced. If I ever get a chance to get more experience, I may want to get slicks!! :cool:

scocher
03-19-2005, 08:52 PM
I've ran 3 sets of sumitimos, they hook well and hold up even better. They are pretty cheap too.

If tires are "hooking", can't they pay for themselves :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :dunno:

P.S. I do know what that means.

wrenchturner
03-19-2005, 09:34 PM
I have Goodyear Eagle F1-GSD3's. Are those the same? :dunno: My husband did all the tire research and made the big tire decision. At first I thought the tread looked wierd :eek: The set cost us around $950. For daily driving, rain or shine, they do a really good job. We, also, ran the dragon with these. :thumbsup: I did drag race with these tires, also, and they were fine for me but I am inexperienced. If I ever get a chance to get more experience, I may want to get slicks!! :cool:
yep thats them.. look like a whole bunch a V shaped groves.. LOL interseting pattern.. but they do work well..

scocher
03-19-2005, 11:41 PM
yep thats them.. look like a whole bunch a V shaped groves.. LOL interseting pattern.. but they do work well..

:thumbsup: :cool: Does that mean we're like tire-buds or something? :banana:

ausie
03-20-2005, 12:21 PM
those are the ones i have sitting on the floor in my shop on some saleen rims waiting for spring to come to make it on the car and on the road.tread pattern looked interesting. alot like the F1-D3's with some added groves. As soon as all this damn snow goes away ( we are getting more this sunday.. and more later in the week) :eek: :mad: I was to get the 18x10's and the 295's on the back.. cause they fill the wheel well up so nice... LOL take it out and see how the tires handle.. prices were not to bad either.. 295/35/18 were 233 and the 265/35/18 were 193 not alltogether to bad for tires of that size. but... have to see if they feel nice..
I really want to know how you like them, since that is what I was after in the first place. The tread on those is too cool, sort of like eye candy for your Cobra. I was pursuaded away from them by the local speed shop. Either he was just trying to sell me tires they have in stock vrs special order is my thoughts. They do cater to the German cars and Vetts more so than mustangs. "More of the Vette owners use the Proxies". They have wheels there to drool over, but will not fit Fords (exclusive BMW stuff :( ) I did compare info and ratings, even went to the toyo web site. The reason I go to that place is that they are the only shop that has reverse mount equipment for wheels lacking a riser on the outside lip of the rim. I still like the KDWII's and may get them the next time around. The 295's will have a slight error (1.8% low) on the speedo (unless you have a programmer) The closest were the 285's (0.8% low). I would not worry about that. Since the KDWII's were my first choice, let me know how well they hook up. Since I spend more time at car shows than at the drag strip, the KDWII's would have been killer. I am not saying that the Proxies are ugly, they are really cool looking, dang they were $10.00 more than your price for the 295's. I will know by the end of this summer if I would buy the Proxies again. So far they top the A list for me. They bite hard too. I may get a slight slip then wham I have found some more fun out of the Cobra, (I am still waiting for them to clean the streets from all the stones and sinders from winter). What impressed me is that there is barely any road noise. I was concerned since the Michillen Pilot Sports AS which had similar tread pattern were excessively noisy on the highway. So far I put only 600 miles on them. Will have to see how they perform when the road temp gets above 45F. :thumbsup:

wrenchturner
03-20-2005, 03:17 PM
im waiting for the snow to melt here... hell.. since its going to snow AGAIN today im waiting for the crap to stop falling... LOL I got these pics from the SVTperformance forum in case any were sonding what tires we were talking about. and to give you a idea ausie :) of how they look. I personally cant wait to see them on my car. i have the same rims and springs as this one. cant wait to see the cobra with these on it. I am going to love the rims and stance on the black car:bounce: :thumbsup:

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/16229/crop1.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/16229/crop2.jpg

ausie
03-25-2005, 06:15 AM
WOW, they look even better on the car than just in the show room. Your car looks like it was lowered a bit. :thumbsup:

Zedoc
03-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Money IS a factor, believe it or not. But I don't care for Farm and FLeet or Sam's club. I like life time rotation and balancing along with my tires. And general maintenance, too. My Goodyear dealer has a set of Capital Negotiator for $475, mounted, balanced and taxed. H rated. Of course it's a no nme brand. I passed.

He offered me Goodyear Eagle Z rated for $715. A bit high. BFGoodrich Scorcher TAs. $640.

I settled on and ordered Dunlop SP sport FM 901s. Z rated. $605 out the door. Good name brand, Z rated. WIll handle a little rain. I don't race. I'm get'n 'em next week.

flynfink
03-25-2005, 02:04 PM
just got the G-force KDWII's on and so far, great.. neat tread pattern.

lorahcobra
03-27-2005, 12:06 AM
We went with BFG g-force KD's 'cause we try REAL hard not to drive in the rain or on wet roads. All our research said they were the best for dry pavement. Put them on first of January and just got them out for serious running for the first time yesterday and today. They replaced the stock Goodyear's and I'll have to say the difference is like night and day. Used to let up in hard cornering 'cause I swear the Goodyear's felt like they were going to roll off the rims...NO MORE!!!! The KD's have put our '03 on a rail!! :eek: Can't say enough about how impressed we were. :thumbsup: But, again, they are not recommended for wet roads. :cool:

ProfChaos
04-13-2005, 07:21 PM
I just purchased my '97 Cobra and fortunately did not have to invest in new tires: the previous owner just replaced all four tires, about a week ago. (Good timing, heh?) :)

He previously used Toyo ZR-rated tires but this time switched to Continental ZR-rated tires. He claims that the Continental tires are as affordable as Toyos and are noticably better than Toyos in terms of both ride and handling...I'll keep that in mind in about 15K miles. :)

cheers,
Professor Chaos

Xaqcraw4d
04-23-2005, 04:59 AM
I have been running the Kumho's in a 255....they're not bad, but it's time for a change. I'm thinking I want to go with 275's for the rear this time. Has anyone had any experience with the BFG KDWS's? They seem to be reasonably priced and the have a great wear rating. I've also been looking at the ever popular Nitto's as well. Most of my driving is just day to day street - but I do love to hit the twisties near Austin pretty hard every now and again. Any more insight/experiances would be great! :thumbsup:

AH1W
04-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Iím running on a set Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's. This is the best tire I have ever owned! You can run these things in a monsoon and not hydroplane. Wet, or Dry this set has exceeded every expectation that I had for them. Oh, by the way the tread pattern looks great too.<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shape id=_x0000_i1026 style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" type="#_x0000_t75" alt=""> </v:shape>

ausie
04-24-2005, 11:13 AM
First drive in the rain (heavy rain that is) with the Toyo Proxies. Not bad at all. They performed better than expected. As with any tire I have driven in the rain, I could break the rears loose when starting off. The Toyos seemed less prone and rates right up there with the Bridgestone Potenza's S-03's on the wet surface. On dry pavement, they squeel like a pig if broken loose which the Michelin Pilot Sport AS did (I guess that is attributed to tread pattern since the Toyo's are similar in design). The Toyo Proxies A1-S takes a bit more effort to break loose since they hook up under hard acceleration. The Pilot AS were not as forgiving due to the number of sears in the tread design (M&S rated tires usually have them). I wanted the summer version (non-AS but they were unavailable in my area) The Pilots wore like iron, but once you get some miles on them, they are not so good in the rain or dry pavement. The more wear, the harder the compound gets. The Michelin Pilots had the same tracking issues as the Bridgestone Potenza's when it comes to driving on back roads that gets alot of truck traffic. When on roads that appeared smooth while under the speed limit the front tires followed any grooves in the pavement which made driving a two handed job due to unexpected response. That is something I barely notice with the Toyo's since they lack the solid ribs in the center of the tire. Even my Dunlap snow tires had better road feel than the Potenza's and Pilots at low speed). My thoughts on the KDWII's are the same as the Toyo's which would provide a smooth ride and lack of unexpected tracking. Sooner or later I will have to get some. The Potenza's were probably the worst tire at low speed, but extremely confident at high speed. The Michelin's were comparable, but at extreme cornering they lacked the level of confidence that the Bridgestones provided. They did hold up on hard cornering, but had the tendency to brake loose a bit too soon. However, they were far better than the stock BFG Comp TA's that came stock on the 01. The time period I had the Michelin's was in 2002 which were the first replacements for the Comp TA's which only lasted a meger 6000 miles. Perhaps they made some improvements by now. Due to my driving habits, I expect to only get 8000 miles out of a tire 10000 miles is stretching it (that is just for the rear set, since I run two different sizes fore and aft I can expect twice the life out of the front end). Either way you look at it, the Michelins were a good tire as were others I have had over time. They all have their specific use and good and bad characteristics. So far I think the Toyo's have all of the good qualities I liked about all of what I had so far and I have yet to discover any bad characteristics from them to complain about. I was skeptical at first since I never heard of the brand before. I am happy I got them on all four corners. However, they do tend to run a bit wider than most for the same size in other brands which is quite the opposite of the nittos which run more on the narrow side.

sssvtcobra
04-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Ausie-I also have the Toyo proxes t1's. I absolutely love them. I paid a hefty price for them, but they are far better than any other tire I have had. I still want to try the Nitto's when I get my 10.5 rear wheels though.

ausie
04-27-2005, 07:02 AM
Come to think of it, they were not cheap. I spent close to a total of $900.00 this year on tires. I did it in stages though over the winter. Since my wheels are a caryover from the 01, the tires had over 10k of wear on them. First to go was the 10 inch x 18 rears since there was no tread left and the remaining compound had no grip either. After I got the 10 inch I noticed that the tires would spin much easier than it did with the stock 8 inch when driving the 01. Since I now have an 04 and the same wheels, I have noticed a big difference with the Proxies on. At least they met my goals in finding a tire that has more tread blocks or continuous rubber per tire foot print. Although the KDWII's have some beefy tread blocks too. So far they top my list for a street tire. Now it is time to fix the other slip (add pully and idlers) and see what happens. Perhaps a set of Mickies T's for the rear if I get another set of wheels. I am hearing some good things about them at the car shows.

rpalmer
08-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Not bad, not great, just inexpensive. I'd do something different next time.

As another poster observed, they run on the narrow side.

-RP

ososlow99svt
08-09-2005, 09:51 PM
im running the nitto 555 and have been pretty happy with them. i run 285's in the rear and they seem to hook up pretty good on the street, but not reel well at the track. they also do good in the rain.

zobes99cobra
08-20-2005, 04:15 PM
I am running 275/35/18 inch dunlops...best tires ive ever had :thumbsup: