PDA

View Full Version : exhaust

My Cobra
05-18-2004, 06:55 PM
I know everybody and there brother comes on here and asks this. But i want to know what type of exhaust to get. I want somethign that is not that expensive. I mean expensive as in 400 bucks. I would like to start with a cat back system then when i get some more cash go for a x pipe or h pipe then some headers. but for now i want somethign that will give me a real mean mean sound but nto sound like a pissed off hornet. maybe i shoudl start with the headers and go the other way? I just figured i woudl get more sound out of a cat back than some nice headers with the rest stock. Let me know what you think and sorry for asking the same crap as everybody else.

venomous
05-18-2004, 11:32 PM
I have been really pleased with the MAC exhaust I have. I would putan O/R H-Pipe first, then put hte rest on later. The O/R H-pipe will give you a good hp increase and a great sound too. :thumbsup:

My Cobra
05-18-2004, 11:44 PM
what do these cost? what is a good brand? do the bolt up to my headers then to my cats?

ausie
05-19-2004, 07:09 AM
I just ordered the SLP loudmouth cat back setup. It finally arrived yesterday and I may attempt to get it installed today. Since this does not use mufflers but resonators the sound will be much different from the stock or magnaflow, MAC or other types. It looks like good quality too me. I will let you know how it sounds. It cost complete 599 + 40 shipping. The muffler or resonators are the same type and probably made by areoturbine. I am sure you are familiar with the SLP firehawk or camaro SS which is where SLP has its roots. I could not resist the package deal since I was after two areoturbine 2525's which would have cost me 399 each (which would require cutting the stock mufflers off and welding the 2525's in place and new pipes would be needed to keep it straight). They also have high flow cats with an X cross over which may be my next purchase. I will update when I get them installed. I heard that these babies are loud :D and that is sort of what I am after. So far I am pleased with their construction, just curious how easy it will be to install.

My Cobra
05-19-2004, 10:12 AM
yea let us know how that sounds. if i was gonna spend that kinda money i think i would go with borla just cause that is what i have on my camaro.

venomous
05-19-2004, 11:45 AM
The Off Road H-Pipes from MAC are $169.50, the 99-03 Cobra 2.5" cat back system 3.5" Chrome tips are $389.50, and 99-03 Cobra 3" cat back system 3.5" Chrome tips are $449.50. Hope this helps some. :thumbsup:

My Cobra
05-19-2004, 02:56 PM
yea tells me to look on e-bay i hate being a broke college kid. ha ha

ausie
05-21-2004, 06:14 AM
Update on the SLP Loudmouth cat back. The cost on line is $499 and it will fit year 99 to 04 Mustang Cobra's. They even have kits for the GT as well. I am sure that the GT kit will be harder to install since the pipes are hung over the rear axle. I cold not believe how easy it was to install. Very nice fit. I think it took me more time to get the car off the ground high enough to install it, The removal of the old exhaust and installation of the new took me about 2 hours to complete. Of course I wasted some time looking over everything since it is not often I get under the car in that degree. The Cobra sounded nice with the stock mufflers as it was, with moderate interior drone. Now the Snake is alive with deep tones and a perfect growl at all RPMs. I passed two police cruisers on my road test, one was sitting at a speed trap, and the other followed me into a mall parking lot where I turned around so I could get some highway testing. If I was not easy on the throttle I am certain they may have pulled me over but then again the new sound is something I will have to get used too. What used to be town car quiet and somewhat import toned at high RPM's with a tinny sound at 6800RPM is now NASCAR or NHRA compliant. SWEEEEEET :eek: :D . As compared to my friends super Nova with the 600Hp+ (complete with tubbed rears, headers, no-cats and flowmasters, all piped with 3" if not 4" exhaust) , the SLP Loudmouth made my car sound like there was more under the hood than the stock motor. :thumbsup: . I did, however, forget to disconnect the battery to reset the computer so that it can relearn the new air flow charactersitics. As for feeling a difference in performance, I am not sure since I was paying more attention to the new tones at various speeds and gears. I am very pleased. :rotf: