PDA

View Full Version : Kenne Bell

Jesse99
05-20-2004, 01:54 AM
Well I was shock to see the Kenne Bell supercharger was out already.. I thought they might have forgotten about the 99-01 Cobra.. Since I've been wanting a supercharger and was thinking of the Procharger, now I'm thinking twice.. I like the idea of it's location, makes it look like the 03-04.. What do you think? Here's a link to the 99-01 supercharger http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/cobra99-014v/cobra_99-014v.htm :bounce: :thumbsup:

Firme
05-20-2004, 02:57 AM
I am personally a Turbo man myself :headbang: There are a ton of misconcenptions about Turbos. The truth is, it more like a fear of the unknown. If done right, a Turbo can be tuned right, not create too much heat, and not have virtually any lag. One of the meanest street driven 4.6 Turbo's around is in Dallas, but Turbo's aside, I would opt for a Kenny Belle. You can't beat the whole feeling of a Big Block out of a small block Ford. Instant Boost, without the dropoff that the eatons have. Gobs of Torque and plenty of power.

For a street driven car, or a road racer, the Kenny Belle is a awesome Choice.

My only reservation, is that I thing the 99-01 intake is very sweet looking, and would hate to lose it..

That kit if very tempting.

Oh, and one thing, out of the centrifical, turbo and twin screw blowers, the twin screws are the best sounding under boost :thumbsup: You can't beat that scream

ausie
05-20-2004, 07:47 AM
I have that same issue about the intake plenum, It looks good just as it is. The other thing is where do you put the alternator? Do the upper coolant pipes have to be cut? After reading alot on the 4.6 modular motor, I know the block will take the increase in PSI but the pistions and connecting rods will not. Kenne Bell recommends no greater than 6 psi for boost in the 99 and 01 motors if they are stock. This would aslo relate to the 03 Mach 1 since it uses much of the same internals. It sure is tempting to get the flowzilla and screw it with the blower, but I would hate to pop a hole in a piston. I could opt for the high flow heads that are now available, but if the stock heads come off the car, so will the stock pistons and connecting rods so I could add some boost. In all honesty, I am happy with the car as it is, but would probably enjoy it more with different gearing in the rear end, like the 3.73 racing diff assembly form Ford performance parts. It makes me wonder what rouch and saleen did with their super cobra cars (I do know most of the rouch and saleen were of the 2v variety but there were some of the 4v too with a roots type blower installed)

Firme
05-20-2004, 11:26 AM
You have to remember, tune and A/F ratio is the key on boost. There are a ton of 96-01 Cobra running around running 12psi on vortechs and whatnot, runnig deep into the 11's with minimal mods, and yes, some do blow up, but a good, safe tune with a good A/F ratio is key. Oh, and remember, just because its safe on a dyno sheet, doesn't mean its really safe on the street 100% of the time, unless the tuner knows what he is doing(read the link below). I can't remember which shop it was, (I think possibly La Roca racing) but they were running around with a stock 99/01 Cobra pushing 22psi through it, with a real safe tune. The engine held up, till they got a wild hair and tuned it to the edge to see how far they could push it. The biggest problem with 96-01's is not only the non-forged internals, but the 9.85:1 high compression N/A, don't forget, the 03-04's have 8.5:1.

It appears, the Kenne Belle suggest 5.5-6.5 psi when not-intercooled, and 9 psi when intecooled. That is still good power.

As far as tune, I have become a firm believer in SCT, even though the "commercialized" tuner to get is the Diablo, the tuners at SCT are just too unbelievable with how they actually understand this stuff. The head guys to go to are Jerry Wrebeleski(sp?) and Chris Johnson (formerly owned JMS chips before joining the superchip team).

Here is a write up by Jerry... the guys is simply awesome http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5909 I highly recommend you seek him out when getting boost on a stock 4v

NO 5 OH
05-20-2004, 01:58 PM
As far as tune, I have become a firm believer in SCT, even though the "commercialized" tuner to get is the Diablo, the tuners at SCT are just too unbelievable with how they actually understand this stuff. The head guys to go to are Jerry Wrebeleski(sp?) and Chris Johnson (formerly owned JMS chips before joining the superchip team).

Don at Modular Madness is also really good with the SCT stuff. He's tuned my Cobra with great sucess... with the SCT Programmer he's gotten as much if not more hp out of my car as people with more mods. The torque he's gotten it to make is unreal as well.

Firme is absolutely, positively correct about a good tune is a must have when running forced induction. You lean a motor out under boost and you're gonna be fixing stuff... no doubt about it. Kenne Bell makes an excellent blower and they do provide big block power for the small cubed Cobra motors.

Firme... you really got me curious as to what you have in mind for a turbo set-up. Anytime somebody says "turbo" my ears immediately tune in to see what's going on ;) I'd just like to see what you're thinking... and see if I could be of some assistance if need be. I've been tinkering with turbo cars going on three years now :)

Shannon

smashedheadcat
05-20-2004, 05:57 PM
I think kenne bell made a mistake by using the small unit for the 99's. It isn't big enough to really let the car grow powerwise. It just doesn't flow enough air. I'm comparing it to the 96-98 cobras. The '03's are getting monster power because the unit is intercooled, and it's also bigger. I'd go with a paxton novi 2000 on the 99 and let the car grow into the blower. :)

Josh

Firme
05-20-2004, 07:29 PM
Firme... you really got me curious as to what you have in mind for a turbo set-up. Anytime somebody says "turbo" my ears immediately tune in to see what's going on ;) I'd just like to see what you're thinking... and see if I could be of some assistance if need be. I've been tinkering with turbo cars going on three years now :)

Shannon

well, the first thing I'm thinking is I need $$$ BAD.. that is my biggest limitation.

I though about taking the easy way out ... http://66.70.20.245/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=26
(they have a 99-01 kits also).. but.. I would tempted to do my own setup.... definitely a single turbo, maybe start out with a 66, or even a 76...ok, ok, I better stop.. there is no way I can do it without winning the lottery :edmond:

NO 5 OH
05-22-2004, 03:26 AM
well, the first thing I'm thinking is I need $$$ BAD.. that is my biggest limitation.

I though about taking the easy way out ... http://66.70.20.245/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=26
(they have a 99-01 kits also).. but.. I would tempted to do my own setup.... definitely a single turbo, maybe start out with a 66, or even a 76...ok, ok, I better stop.. there is no way I can do it without winning the lottery :edmond:

Ah... PTK. They make some good stuff for the modular motors, and they're consistent on quality and "getting it to you" unlike some of the turbo companies out there today. At least, that's all on what I've heard at any rate ;)

I was actually all set to build my own turbo set-up on my 01 Cobra until I just happened to fall into the deal I got on the 03. You can save a lot of money by DIY but it's not for the faint at heart, and does require some fabrication skills (not saying you don't have any here). My biggest gripe about doing a kit on a DOHC motor is there isn't hardly any room anywhere under the hood to make things work... although it is dooable. PTK actually has some of the better prices of a complete kit compared to the other companies out there.

A T66 is a very high boost turbo. By looking at the map it can support well over 30 psi and still be very efficient. A T66 will run out closing in on 600 at the wheels. A T76 on the other hand will go a lot further... it will run on out to about 700 or a little over at the wheels and still be very efficient... about 70%. The turbos themselves aren't really that expensive... it's the associated parts (headers, intercooler, piping, etc) that make the whole kit an arm and a leg.

If you need any other info feel free to ask away :D

Shannon

ausie
05-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Due to lack of space under the hood, it is difficult enough fitting long tube headers in place (one thing I have not attempted yet). With that in mind, I can understand why Audi uses two turbo's with their 2.7L motors. Hmmm, I wonder if that would work on a Cobra? Instead of one large turbo, use two smaller ones to minimize the plumbing between the two banks. Blame it on the unitbody construction. The more I see how cramped the space is, the more a positive displacement supercharger seems to be the simple route. The other question comes to mind, how long will a turbo last compared to a supercharger (if they last as long as the motor - with hopes that the component is not the cause of the short life of the motor). With all of this to think about, makes me realize I need a bigger garage (having the same amount of space for the car as the room for headers under the hood). Then again, will all of these components remain sticker compliant since the federal regulations on emmissions have some unwritten mandates regarding modifications to modern cars. Dang thing has california emmisions on it, no wonder I get carbon build up, instead of polluting the air :D I am polluting the motor:mad: . I hope you see the humor in this (I am trying to be funny ;) ). I am in favor of anything that will put a perminent smile on your face caused by excessive G forces. Oh yeah, don't forget to get some insurance on the rear end since they like to blow up when too much HP and torque is thrown its way (I sure hope that Ford fixed that issue since that is one reason it took them a while to release the IRS in the first place). These cars are great no matter what you do to them, so far my cobra is the best vehicle I ever owned! Funny though, the Cobra wond my heart over the BMW M3 and the Audi S4 (the new Audi S4 has 4WD and a turbo charged V8, I can't wait to find one of those on the road and see what it can do.) Nothing is more fun than turning a $50k pride into a $29k loss. Makes you ask "you paid how much for that thing and you are still slower than me?" I am not one of those that will claim one car is better than another. I can appreciate a good looking car no matter what brand it is. I hope you win the lottery Firme! That way you could tell us how your turbo install went:D