PDA

View Full Version : Newest Member

WhiteDevil69
05-20-2004, 03:50 PM
Hey guys, just got refered over here from Stangnet :thumbsup:. Here's the deal, I have an 03 GT 5speed with a few mods, Magnaflow O/R midpipe and catback 3.73's, Nitto555r DR's on 17x10.5 Chrome Cobra R's and a shortshifter..Anyways, I am looking to trade this or sell this in order to buy a 96-01 Cobra. I wanted your opinions on which one to get, I have about 18,000 to play with, my main goal is to have it blown with this 18k.. Either buying one with a blower on it or gettin one for 14 and then adding one.. Any problems/recommendations with any of these models? Thanks for your time! WhiteDevil

Jesse99
05-20-2004, 04:52 PM
First off Welcome... Wow, you have an awesome GT.. As far as what Cobra to buy.. There all good years.. But I would have to go with the 01.. You can find a few for sale at a good price.. Anyway good luck, and enjoy the site.. :thumbsup:

Firme
05-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Welcome to the board white devil...

which body style do you like better? 96-98? or 99,01? for the price, I'm sure you could find a car thats already blown.. but I would say a real cheap low mileage one would be the way to go, and then have the engine built up (i think you can get away with it for like 2500-3000 at a good shop) and then throw a blower on it, running some serious boost

good luck and keep us informed :thumbsup:

WhiteDevil69
05-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Welcome to the board white devil...

which body style do you like better? 96-98? or 99,01? for the price, I'm sure you could find a car thats already blown.. but I would say a real cheap low mileage one would be the way to go, and then have the engine built up (i think you can get away with it for like 2500-3000 at a good shop) and then throw a blower on it, running some serious boost

good luck and keep us informed :thumbsup:Thanks guys, I have found a few blown 98 cobras that im lookin into but i dont know if i will be able to sell mine in time to get these... That is definitly a good thought and i will probly end up going that route, if i can get 18-20 for mine and pick up a used basicly stock cobra for 14 then i would have quite a nice amount of money to play with:D Well hopefully someone will buy mine within a couple weeks here so i can get the ball rollin here, thanks again guys for the nice welcome and ill let you guys know when i sell mine and ill be asking opinions on the setup if i go the stock route!:thumbsup:

Stavesacre21
05-22-2004, 12:50 AM
Well hopefully someone will buy mine within a couple weeks here
With gas prices like these, you're gonna need to keep yur fingers crossed. Unless people are totally set on it, the V8's in these parts are losing popularity very quickly :(

98's a good year to go with! IMO, the body style is unsurpassed! :thumbsup: Go get um tiger, and keep us posted!

ausie
05-23-2004, 10:20 AM
I was talking to a neighbor just last night about gas prices, I figured he may know some inside information since he works for one of the major broadcasting companies in Philidelphia (NBC or ABC - I can never keep which one is which). His words were that the gasoline prices will not go back to under $2.00 per gallon. The only bad news is to the SUV builder since the gas milage is typically 8-16mpg. Time to tune up the meger V6 in the Exploder since it only gets a heafty 13mpg. Most of the mods I put into the Cobra were just simple bolt-ons to aid in breathing which should improve gas milage (increase in efficiency).

You could opt for a Mach 1 which has very much the same motor and 3.55 final drive ratio, where as the 99-01 is 3.27. The Mach 1 was under rated in the HP listing and is a few seconds shy faster than the 01. The IRS does provide a nice ride though, regaurdless of the wheel hop issue, I would not go back to a solid live axle. All I can say is that I am very pleased with my 01 even though it is lacking the extra ponies that the 03-04 SVT has, I get better gas milage driving at the same speed (I think). Good luck with your search in finding a good clean cobra in the years you are looking for. Irreguardless of which SVT version you get yourself into, if it has a compression higher than 9.8:1 there will be a little more preventive maintanance to keep it running without a hitch (many of the fuel additives in the 93 octane creat carbon deposits, and since the 99-01 including the Mach 1 have close to 10:1 compression you have a tendency to ping when the carbon builds up on the spark plugs). I know that is common since I had issues with ford a few months ago about the pinging. There recommendation to prevent carbon build up is to drive it like I stole it. The problem is that is the way I have always driven it. They also told me that my car's pinging was not as bad as others they test drove. There are a few 01's that may have been produced in the beginning of the season (March-May) that have excessive knocking which may be a main bearing out of tolerance. My 01 was spit out from Ford in the beginning of October 2001