PDA

View Full Version : K&N Filter Charger Kit?

jjraiser
05-22-2004, 03:49 AM
I recently ordered the new 2003 Cobra Filter Charger Kit from K&N. It purports to increase power by 30HP!!! Dyno tests confirmed this, and I recall Mustang Monthy doing a spread on this kit with similar results.

Has anyone gotten this for their Cobra? Good? Bad? Any stalling problems?

soniccobra 03
06-09-2004, 11:15 AM
I recently ordered the new 2003 Cobra Filter Charger Kit from K&N. It purports to increase power by 30HP!!! Dyno tests confirmed this, and I recall Mustang Monthy doing a spread on this kit with similar results.

Has anyone gotten this for their Cobra? Good? Bad? Any stalling problems?

I have this CAI on my ride and it is real sweet........makes the s/c sing and gives you a little more boost.......good piece........enjoy the ride. :thumbsup:

Red03
06-10-2004, 06:44 PM
I just got mine last night..........love it. Had a Densecharger before, but it was such a PITA to clean the filter. Don't get me the wrong the Dense is a great system but, this FIPK is just as good maybe even better. My opinion is if your looking for a CAI, this is the one to buy.

SlowSVT
06-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Be careful guys running K&N “gauze” type filters. The reason they breathe so well is because the filter media is very thin and has relatively large "pin hole" size openings in the filter media (hold one up to the light and you will see what I mean). This was a big discussion on another board and someone produced an article by a construction company doing test on the three different filter types to try to reduce maintenance costs. They found that the K&N filter equipped engines had the highest oil contamination and engine wear over the other two with the fiber filter doing the best job at protecting the engine (the foam filter came in second).

Ask a guy riding a two stroke dirtbike at Glamis if he would be willing to run a K&N filter in the sand dunes and you will see a look of horror on his face. That's an extreme case but consider all the millions of cubic feet of air your SVT will ingest overtime. Any grit that gets past the filter will wear away at your valve seats and cylinders walls/rings. Overtime that 30hp gain could turn into a 30 hp loss.

I take the middle-of-the-road approach and run foam air cleaners. The media is much thicker then a K&N 1/16" thick gauze filter which will provide a better barrier against ingesting grit. That and using Bel-Ray MC1 foam filter oil I found to be the best combination. The Bel-Ray oil is sticky like fly paper and will grab hold of anything that comes in contact with it. It's amazing how much dirt they can hold and it takes me about five passes before I get all the dirt out. K&N's usually stay clean longer because most of the fine particles go right through the filter. They also clean up much easier because they won't hold as much dirt as a foam filter.

Uni-Filter's web site (unifilter.com) has an interesting article about how the different filter media's compare with one another. On the other hand K&N's advertising is completely void of any technical data on how well their filters actually clean the air and focus almost entirely on how well they breathe.

Just something to consider

Russ