PDA

View Full Version : Taking the SVT plunge

SlowSVT
05-25-2004, 08:51 PM
Hi Guy, it's been a while since I've posted here.

It looks like I might be a Happy new owner of a silver 04 SVT. The dealer and I are going to settle on a $35,500 "out the door" price. I have not been able to stop thinking about this car for the last 6 months. A while back I was thinking about a C5 Corvette which is a phenomenal performance car but wanted something a little more "low key" that would blend in with the crowed better. To me this car is almost "perfect". I could not find any hardware or gadgets on the car that I would consider superfluous, it's all "business".

Me have a couple of question:

1) What don't you like about the SVT? I know of the 100's of things you like about it there must be a few things you would like to see improved.

2) Gas mileage? A friend of mine who owned a GT with a stick said he could get 23-25 mpg on the highway. What is a average gas mileage on the highway or just tooling around and not jumping on the pedal at every light.

I'm in the LA area and would like to hook up with other Cobra owners. Let me know who is local.

This car is going to do wonders for my driving record. Thanks guys

Russ

Mystic Cobra
05-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Hi Guy, it's been a while since I've posted here.

It looks like I might be a Happy new owner of a silver 04 SVT. The dealer and I are going to settle on a $35,500 "out the door" price. I have not been able to stop thinking about this car for the last 6 months. A while back I was thinking about a C5 Corvette which is a phenomenal performance car but wanted something a little more "low key" that would blend in with the crowed better. To me this car is almost "perfect". I could not find any hardware or gadgets on the car that I would consider superfluous, it's all "business".

Me have a couple of question:

1) What don't you like about the SVT? I know of the 100's of things you like about it there must be a few things you would like to see improved.

2) Gas mileage? A friend of mine who owned a GT with a stick said he could get 23-25 mpg on the highway. What is a average gas mileage on the highway or just tooling around and not jumping on the pedal at every light.

I'm in the LA area and would like to hook up with other Cobra owners. Let me know who is local.

This car is going to do wonders for my driving record. Thanks guys

Russ

Hi Russ! It sounds like you are going down the same path that I did. I looked at the C5 Vette, the Viper and the new GTO before buying my Cobra. Each had their merits but I felt that the Cobra is the best all around car and had by far the best value for the money. In answer to your questions:

1) Two minor things: the stupid seat belt twists in a strange way. The shifting is a little clunky. So far those are the only improvements that I would suggest to Ford.

2) I average 18 to 20 MPG. On a trip with cruise control set at 78 MPH (in sixth gear) I got 23.9 MPG. On a mountain road trip using lots of boost I got 15 MPG. It really depends on how you drive the car. Mostly I drive the car moderately with occasional use of boost (playing around and when passing cars and to intimidate rice burners :D ) doing that and with mixed driving, some freeway - some city streets I stay between 18 & 20. For the horsepower this car has I think that is unbelievable.

Driving record: you definately need to watch this car. It is SO easy to jump on the gas when out playing around, and a lot of idiots will throw you a rev at stop lights. Here in So Cal there are so many Cops around you have to be VERY carefull.

There are several members in this club that live in SoCal. Sooner or later we will organize a drive or something.

My recommendation is buy the car. I don't think you'll regret it. Oh and three other things (1) during the first 20-30 miles the boost doesn't engage (it's preset that way from the factory, there is a techincal service bulletin about this) it's normal so don't be alarmed (2) get used to turning the traction control off. It is preset to automatically turn on. The first time you jump on the gas with traction control ON you will wonder what is wrong with the car. Most folks start the car and then reach down and shut off TC. and (3) they seem to develop more power as they break in.
:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Aaron94
05-26-2004, 12:19 PM
Hey Jeff,

When do you want to do that drive you were talking about? I just installed some Hawk Street/Track pads, SS brake lines, and Slotted rotors at all 4 corners. I am ready to carve up the San Bernardino Mtns, or Malibu Canyons!! :thumbsup:

Mystic Cobra
05-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Hey Jeff,

When do you want to do that drive you were talking about? I just installed some Hawk Street/Track pads, SS brake lines, and Slotted rotors at all 4 corners. I am ready to carve up the San Bernardino Mtns, or Malibu Canyons!! :thumbsup:
Right on Aaron!

How about one of the last two weekends in June? I have in-laws staying with me from out of state so I'm fairly occupied right now.

Let me know what works for you.

Your list of mods is incredible!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Aaron94
05-26-2004, 02:07 PM
I actually wont be availiable until July. I will still be travelling back from the 5th in TN. About the mods, thanks! :thumbsup: The list is ever growing... I am headed up to Santa Clara on Saturday for a custom chip at Apex Motorsports. Is your Mystichrome still stock? I will be curious to see how my lil N/A 304 can do against the big boys... ;)

Mirage
05-26-2004, 02:24 PM
SlowSVT~ If I had to pick one thing I don't like about my '03 Cobra, I'd have to say it's the interior. I've had several GT's over the years and a few Cobra's so when I saw the '03 I was a little disappointed that FORD didn't change it. Of course this was before the new '05 GT/Cobra was announced so FORD already had it in the works.
Otherwise, FORD really did their homework on producing this car. Not to sound like a broken record but between the super charger, handling and exterior appearance; you couldn't ask for more in a car.
Best of luck with your new steed! :thumbsup:

Aaron94
05-26-2004, 02:27 PM
At least the 03/04 got new seats! Compared to the previous seats, the new ones are a major improvement, in my opinion. I hope to find a pair of used black 04 seats in the future. *hint hint* Who wants to turn their '04 into a track car? ;)

Mystic Cobra
05-26-2004, 04:29 PM
I actually wont be availiable until July. I will still be travelling back from the 5th in TN. About the mods, thanks! :thumbsup: The list is ever growing... I am headed up to Santa Clara on Saturday for a custom chip at Apex Motorsports. Is your Mystichrome still stock? I will be curious to see how my lil N/A 304 can do against the big boys... ;)
July it is then!

My Mystichrome is no longer stock, my list of mods is:
Floor mats - with a Cobra logo
Snake grill emblem (replaced the pony)
Cobra valve stem caps
SVT seat belt pads
Zaino - two coats

I'm sure this list of mods makes my car MUCH faster than stock. I've heard that the snake grill emblem is good for 10 RWHP alone. :eek:

:D :D :D :D

Ok, mechanically it is stock. :rolleyes:

We'll run 'em side by side if you'd like to.

As for the original topic (sorry, I get side tracked easily). I would agree that the Cobra could have a nicer interior. If Ford had offered an interior upgrade package I would have bought it. But the Viper and Vette are about the same.

Plus listening to the supercharge whine.... that's what I'm talking about...
:thumbsup:

Aaron94
05-26-2004, 04:35 PM
The Snake emblem is definetly good for a few RWHP. Think about it, less blockage of air flow to the radiator than the pony. This results in lower engine temperatures, in turn producing more H.P. :rotf:

Mystic Cobra
05-26-2004, 04:52 PM
The Snake emblem is definetly good for a few RWHP. Think about it, less blockage of air flow to the radiator than the pony. This results in lower engine temperatures, in turn producing more H.P. :rotf:

AH HA! Scientific proof!!! :thumbsup:

cobracrazy
05-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Aaron94- I knew my car was faster after putting the snake up front!!! ;)

Slosvt-
My parents own a C5 and it is a nice car but.... You will be very happy with the Cobra. The handling is awsome.

My only complaint is with the height. I would like the car lower from the factory. I don't think you can beat the performance price point of a Cobra.

I LOVE MINE :thumbsup:

97BlackSnake
05-29-2004, 05:41 AM
At least the 03/04 got new seats! Compared to the previous seats, the new ones are a major improvement, in my opinion. I hope to find a pair of used black 04 seats in the future. *hint hint* Who wants to turn their '04 into a track car? ;)

BadAss03SVT is selling his 03 cobra seats in the For sale section. You might want to contact him.