cobra97
05-27-2004, 04:05 AM
dear tech. :)

which is suitable for mustang cobra 1997 full bolton normaly asperated
NGK TR 6 or NGK TR55
:bounce:

tcrews
05-27-2004, 08:28 AM
I actually prefer the Autolite 764 (copper) gapped at .054. Very inexpensive and a great plug.

Firme
05-27-2004, 10:33 AM
NGK TR55's.. they are very inexpensive also (lik $1 a piece or something) and great plugs

smashedheadcat
05-28-2004, 08:50 AM
I second the autolites. :)

oliascobra
05-28-2004, 09:42 AM
Is there a performance improvement going to iridium plugs? I know they're expensive and I change my plugs every season and have been using the TR55s.

virginCobra
05-28-2004, 03:42 PM
I use iridum's.. I have no idea if they made a difference. I know they made a hell of a difference in my pocket. I think I should have spent the money on an aftermarket air meter instead.

I guess the car felt a slight difference, but who knows. I am probably reaching cause I dropped 80 bonez on the sum-b**ches.

Stavesacre21
05-29-2004, 12:01 AM
I actually prefer the Autolite 764 (copper) gapped at .054. Very inexpensive and a great plug.
This really surprises me.......I was thinkin that the pricier they are, the better.....

Some of the ones I was looking at ran almost as high as $10 a plug! You really don't think that a more expensive plug will make a difference on preformance/life?

tcrews
05-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Plugs do NOT make power....period. Plugs ignite the fuel/air mixture and that's it. You want a quality plug not an expensive plug. If you are paying more than $1.00 a plug than you are just wasting money.

This really surprises me.......I was thinkin that the pricier they are, the better.....

Some of the ones I was looking at ran almost as high as $10 a plug! You really don't think that a more expensive plug will make a difference on preformance/life?

tcrews
05-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Nope, just a reduction in your bank account. Remember, plugs don't make power, your engine does.

Is there a performance improvement going to iridium plugs? I know they're expensive and I change my plugs every season and have been using the TR55s.

smashedheadcat
05-29-2004, 11:07 AM
There is a difference in these plugs though. A copper plug conducts better than platinum, giving the advantage to the autolite. But however comma they don't last as long as platinums. I change my plugs about every 5000 miles or so, but I have only put about 6000 miles on my car since I've owned it (which has been almost 3 years).

ausie
05-31-2004, 12:52 AM
I have changed my plugs far too often since I suffered from carbon build up (also with power robbing ping). After curing much of the combustion buildup, I took out the denso Irridiums (which helped in reducing the pinging) and installed the autolite plugs. I drove with them for a couple of miles and noticed the car was lagging a bit. I swapped out the autolies for the denso irridiums and the performance as back to where I remembered it to be. To me at least, there was a notible difference. Sure at $13.99 a piston the plugs are expensive. Irridium is harder than platinum and will last longer, but the design of the denso is to maintain the spark under pressure which will reduce miss-fires. The most important aspect of any plug is the gap! The larger the gap the higher the voltage has to be to creat the spark but also the longer it will take to build up that charge. The shorter the gap the weaker the spark will be and the likely hood of fuel shorting out the electrode. Heat range is another thing to consider. You don't want to run a hot plug with high compression motors. I have had very good performance with the denso Irridiums. I would not still have them in the car if I did. The main reason I took them out in the first place was to clean off the carbon deposits which was not all that bad as compared to other plugs I have used. The bosch platinum +4's worked great for about 50 miles before having to replace them with the original factory plugs. I would definately avoid the +4's. They would be more suitable for low compression motors (to high of a heat range). If money is the issue, then by all means stick with the autolights or with motorcraft plugs. They seem to be better than average.

oliascobra
05-31-2004, 01:19 AM
What's the recommended gap for a '97 NA Cobra with the iridium plugs? Still 0.054"?

ausie
05-31-2004, 01:58 AM
I am not sure if the gap will be different. I have mine set at 45mills (0.045") which is probably too narrow a gap, but then again my car is an 01cobra. I do know that both Denso and NGK both have irridium plugs. They may have a specific recommendation for the spark gap setting. I wish I had the correct links for their sites. If you are considering the plugs, visit their web sites. If your car is baseline stock, you could easily go with the standard irriduim plug (heat range) which is what I am using since I do not have forced induction (still thinking of putting on the cast aluminum lung on the car, but I do not think that spending $5k for one or two seconds is worth it).