PDA

View Full Version : Track insurance

Mephisto
05-27-2004, 10:59 AM
Does anyone have any good info on track insurance? Can't you get some through NASA or SCCA?

In a related topic, is anyone interested in MSR on July 10? I can not make the June 10 date.

Firme
05-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Well, usually, the organization that put on the event has insurance. But that doesn't cover your car. Most insurance companies (regular car insurance) cover your vehicle at track events that are "educational", but not if its a competition or a timed event, and there are usually some grey areas you have to avoid. I am not familiar with if there is "racing insurance" out there, I have never heard of it.

93KingCobra
05-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Nancy(ZincYellowCobra)does track insurance but I don't know if they do cars too.

ZincYellowCobra
05-28-2004, 01:51 AM
If you are looking for liability insurance, usually the group holding the event procures the insurance coverage. You can obtain an excess policy over and above the track's policy, if desired.

As respects coverage for your vehicle while you are on-track, I do not think that type of coverage is available. If it is, it would be quite pricey. My company handles motorsports insurance, however, we primarily insure tracks, racing teams and sanctioning bodies -- not actual "race cars". My suggestion would be to call: Gulfway Insurers @ 800-940-5010. They handle insurance for race vehicles, however, as far as I am aware, the coverage only applies to the vehicles when they are off-track (in transport, storage, etc). A couple of others you might want to give a shout to are: Naughton Insurance, 401-433-4000 or K&K Insurance, 800-637-4757.

Admiral
05-29-2004, 08:45 AM
If you are looking for liability insurance, usually the group holding the event procures the insurance coverage. You can obtain an excess policy over and above the track's policy, if desired.

As respects coverage for your vehicle while you are on-track, I do not think that type of coverage is available. If it is, it would be quite pricey. My company handles motorsports insurance, however, we primarily insure tracks, racing teams and sanctioning bodies -- not actual "race cars". My suggestion would be to call: Gulfway Insurers @ 800-940-5010. They handle insurance for race vehicles, however, as far as I am aware, the coverage only applies to the vehicles when they are off-track (in transport, storage, etc). A couple of others you might want to give a shout to are: Naughton Insurance, 401-433-4000 or K&K Insurance, 800-637-4757.

Here's a link to a group that writes HPDE insurance:
http://www.americancollectorsins.com/dequote.php

From what I've read, they offer insurance for HPDE only, NOT RACING. If your car is damaged on the track, there is a 20% of the agreed value deductible, if there is a loss in the paddock or while towing, then it is a $1000 deductible. One guy said he got this policy for $150/year for a $10K valued car. I just entered "$30,000" and got a quote for $450/year so that should be about right.

A side note, there was a report that someone was actually dropped by their insurance company after inquiring about HPDE insurance. The firm was USAA and American Collectors is a "sister" organization of USAA. FWIW, I use American Collectors also to cover my 66 Cobra Replica and USAA covers my daily drivers. You can bet I'm not calling either about info on HPDE insurance or racing insurance!

The whole thread where I got this info is here on CC.com:
http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16036