PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light

imsmokie
05-27-2004, 07:39 PM
I have had this problem with my Cobra 96 for a while now. Every now and then, check engine light will glow and after a while go away. It just keeps going on and off .. no pattern as such...

What could be the reasons? I am pretty new to this forum and would really appreicate if anyone could give me some pointers...

thanks

Firme
05-27-2004, 08:26 PM
I have had this problem with my Cobra 96 for a while now. Every now and then, check engine light will glow and after a while go away. It just keeps going on and off .. no pattern as such...

What could be the reasons? I am pretty new to this forum and would really appreicate if anyone could give me some pointers...

thanks

First off welcome to the forum. :hello:

Your Car has is equiped with an ODBII. Which translated to an onboad daignostic computer which knows what wrong with the car and stores the problems. What you need to do is go somewhere and have the codes scanned to see what the problems are. It usually tells you specifics, like Bank 1 Cat 1 out... or something to that affect.

The Autozone (parts store) here will scan the codes for you still I think. The dealer can also do this.

ausie
05-31-2004, 02:41 AM
Autozone will still scan the codes, and it will not cost anything. At the dealer they will charge you. Two things to check first, one is there coolant in the resivior, and second check the oil level. Sometimes the check engine light will flash on and off if one of these is low (low coolant levels may cause the temp guage to appear as if the motor is cool). If it take as while for the light to come on, it may be EGR flow. IT would be best to have the codes scanned for any pending or out of range conditions. The ODBII codes are a great diagnostic tool. In fact, the computer will store all the faults it detects. Considering the year of your car, and depending on the milage, I would suspect the EGR flow and O2 sensors (one may have a slow response). The codes will report the fault with a description of the component causing the "check engine".

Abneriel
05-31-2004, 09:14 PM
if your Cobra has over 100,000 miles on it I'd bet it's your O2 sensors...they tend to go out at about 100k miles...at least they did on my last three SN95 mustangs...Good luck.

Aaron