PDA

View Full Version : Installing 4.10s in my 97

oliascobra
05-29-2004, 09:33 AM
I'm going to install FMS 4.10s and am debating whether to do them myself or have them done. I only have one speed shop option in town and they want $300 PLUS the gears. This seems like a lot.

Anyone know of a good web site with step-by-step gear installation instructions? What other parts should be replaced when I have the diff open?

Also, I've got 70k miles on the '97 with original U-joints. I don't hear any unusual clunking. When do they typically need changing? Only when you can hear them? Is the performance benefit of an aluminum drive shaft worth the money & time?

Thanks

tcrews
05-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Typically it's around $200+ for a gear install (labor). I'd seriously recommend having them installed by a professional.

I'm going to install FMS 4.10s and am debating whether to do them myself or have them done. I only have one speed shop option in town and they want $300 PLUS the gears. This seems like a lot.

Anyone know of a good web site with step-by-step gear installation instructions? What other parts should be replaced when I have the diff open?

Also, I've got 70k miles on the '97 with original U-joints. I don't hear any unusual clunking. When do they typically need changing? Only when you can hear them? Is the performance benefit of an aluminum drive shaft worth the money & time?

Thanks