PDA

View Full Version : Brake Caliper froze up.....

SVT-MAN
06-01-2004, 09:08 PM
I have a 1996 Cobra. Last night, I swapped my rotors and put back on my brake calipers. I took it out for a drive and it was driving fine until I turned the corner to come home. The left rear brake caliper would not release. I have removed the Brake caliper and removed the brake pads. I got the tool to push the plunger back into the cylinder and the plunger will not go in. Is there a trick to this or is my caliper shot???? Please help in any way!!!!!!

Chad:(

johnbasf
06-01-2004, 09:52 PM
What kind of shape are the dust boots in?

justagt
06-02-2004, 09:09 AM
On rear calipers,you have to 'turn' the piston back in, not just push it like on the front. Turn it all the way in, put it back on the car, and pull up on the parking brake a few times. That will help take up some of the slack in the piston. If that doesn't work, the it may be a sticking problem.

ausie
06-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Not only do you have to rotate the srew seat (emergency/parking brake portion) you still have to push the piston back to its open position. The fluid will not retract easily, I found by using a rubber hose attached to the bleeder valve and submerged in a jar full of brake fluid, using a C clamp on the piston and a small wrench on the caliper to open the bleeder valve the piston will easily open. The trick is to keep the jar at the same height if not slightly higher than the caliper to reduce any air getting in the brake line. Once you feel that the piston is at the full released position close the bleeder valve. At this point you may want to bleed the line (engine off) in case there is any trapped air in the line you will need a helper to do that. Getting the caliper back on is another trick all together, those springs are really a pain to compress by yourself.

SVT-MAN
06-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Thanks I got it.