PDA

View Full Version : Link???

My Cobra
06-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Ok i have a laptop that i just got about 2 weeks ago. I was wondering if there is some link cable you can buy to hook up your laptop to your cobra and read the codes and mess with the options of your car a little bit. With a program. Also Where would i get one what are they called? Any help at all woudl be nice. i do not feel like spending 200 to 300 on a programmer when i just spent 3 grand on a very nice laptop. thanks.

tcrews
06-02-2004, 08:25 AM
http://www.autotap.com/

You'll only be able to reset 'check engine' codes and monitor. You will not be able to adjust/change/edit anything unless you buy a programmer (EECTuner, Tweecer or SCT Tuner).

Ok i have a laptop that i just got about 2 weeks ago. I was wondering if there is some link cable you can buy to hook up your laptop to your cobra and read the codes and mess with the options of your car a little bit. With a program. Also Where would i get one what are they called? Any help at all woudl be nice. i do not feel like spending 200 to 300 on a programmer when i just spent 3 grand on a very nice laptop. thanks.

My Cobra
06-02-2004, 11:39 AM
is a programmer worth the cash or no?

My Cobra
06-02-2004, 11:45 AM
lol i will just buy a programmer. it is 100 bucks just for the cord. thanks anyway.

tcrews
06-02-2004, 02:30 PM
lol i will just buy a programmer. it is 100 bucks just for the cord. thanks anyway.
Remember, a programmer won't let you monitor the sensors though...so you'll still need something for that (Autotap).

If you don't know what you are doing a programmer will allow you to completely hose your engine/car.

My Cobra
06-02-2004, 11:13 PM
i got some pretty diffrent tires than what they say to have on them (275/40/17) a cold air induction. Should i tune the car for this stuff? or no?

tcrews
06-03-2004, 06:46 AM
Nope, you really have no mods with what you listed :) CAI will change nothing and the tires are the same diamter as the stock tires so they haven't affected anything either. You really need a LOT of mods before a tune is of any value or use. Full exhaust (including headers), MAF, intake work, etc...

Most bolt ons won't change enough to require a tune though after all the bolt ons sometimes a tune can help everything work together better.

i got some pretty diffrent tires than what they say to have on them (275/40/17) a cold air induction. Should i tune the car for this stuff? or no?

My Cobra
06-03-2004, 12:14 PM
I ordereed my diablo chip should be here soon, my cat back system will be here soon also. I am goign to get plugs and wires tomorrow. and i have the pro 50 shifter. does that effect anything or no? would i need a tune after that? I know the new chip will need to be tuned. anythign else i should do to make sure everything is working right?

tcrews
06-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Nope, no chip needed at this point. I'd send the diablo chip back as it's more a waste of money than a performance enhancement at your mod level.

Until you've done major engine mods a chip is a waste of funds. On 99 and up cars you can use a chip to correct for rear gear changes but otherwise save the money :)

I ordereed my diablo chip should be here soon, my cat back system will be here soon also. I am goign to get plugs and wires tomorrow. and i have the pro 50 shifter. does that effect anything or no? would i need a tune after that? I know the new chip will need to be tuned. anythign else i should do to make sure everything is working right?

Firme
06-03-2004, 01:29 PM
I agree with tcrews, also, on a 99, you don't need wires, it has Coil-on-plugs which translates to a coilpack on each spark plug. The stock ones are as good as you would ever need. The replacements out there are really waste of money for you, unless you have a defective one that needs to be fixed.

My Cobra
06-04-2004, 12:24 AM
ha ha so what should i do? I do not have 4 grand to throw in to a super charger.

Lumpydogs
06-04-2004, 08:11 AM
He's some ideas:
Mufflers, X-Pipe, U.D. Pullies & 4.10 gear. :D

tcrews
06-04-2004, 10:55 AM
He's some ideas:
Mufflers, X-Pipe, U.D. Pullies & 4.10 gear. :D

Correct. Like said above, add an offroad pipe (X or H, your choice), the underdrive pulleys and some gear (definitely) 4.xx something.

You've mentioned catback, CAI....other things would be an aluminum driveshaft, suspension improvements, weight reduction, headers (BBK longtubes), and improve your driving/launching skills.

A chip doesn't do anything for you....unless you have a LOT of mods. Use your money on what works instead :)

ausie
06-04-2004, 10:38 PM
The only reason to re-chip is if you decided to change the cams or swap out the heads (with including any forced induction). As for the gear change, best to wait an see what the cat-back will do for you. If you want some cheap additional HP which is noticable, get a set of denso irridium plugs (they work great) You will not need to upgrade anything since the mods can be compensated by the factory chip ( make sure the battery is disconnected for at least 1/2 hour, and since you should disconnect the battery when changing plugs that will be fine) If you need to do the gear change, you could always opt for a speedcal, or adjusting the factory flash will work just as good. Don't worry if it pings a bit after connecting the battery while driving, the computer is simply adjusting the fuel ratio for optimum performance and will take about 200 miles or less. Unless you have a dyno in your garage, attempting to tune the car may not be the best thing unless you fully understand the roots of the program that is used and you were to write your own code. Also you would have to update the fuel system to accomodate for changes. Besides that, a super charger will cost you close to 5k with tuning on a dyno. I am not sure what typical costs are in your location, but where I am, it would cost me $800 to have it tuned if I install a supercharger.

tcrews
06-05-2004, 10:52 AM
If you want some cheap additional HP which is noticable, get a set of denso irridium plugs (they work great)

Nope, plugs do NOT give you power, plus you are just wasting money buying an expensive plug.

If you experience a power increase from plugs....something is wrong with your ignition system elsewhere.

My Cobra
06-05-2004, 11:57 PM
I will just save up and get a x pipe and a cat back. It is hard for a broke college kid.