PDA

View Full Version : Cam Question

Lumpydogs
06-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Has anyone out there upgraded cams in their 4V 4.6L engine.
If so, what were your results? Good, bad or indifferent?

tcrews
06-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Has anyone out there upgraded cams in their 4V 4.6L engine.
If so, what were your results? Good, bad or indifferent?

I've got cams.....I wouldn't recommend them unless you are doing a lot of other engine mods. Head porting/valve work and intake porting/work. By themselves you'll see some small gains but in combination with other mods you'll see some very significant gains. Also remember there are four cams, two intake and two exhaust, and timing them properly is very important. Not a cheap or easy mod to do.

Lumpydogs
06-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks, :D
I am thinking about the FRPP Intake Manifold that comes with
upgraded Mass Air, Fuel Injectors & Chip. I figured if I pony up the
money to do this, I might as well want to change cylinder heads and cams
at the same time. Stroker kit is also possible. Weighing my options.

Firme
06-02-2004, 04:41 PM
are you set on staying N/A?

Lumpydogs
06-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Yes, I plan to stay NA.

Firme
06-02-2004, 05:48 PM
:thumbsup: keep us updated...

the options out there are slowly surfacing

tcrews
06-02-2004, 06:44 PM
:thumbsup: keep us updated...

the options out there are slowly surfacing

Slowly?? Not anymore :) Stoker kits, Big Bore kits, Stroker/Bore kits, cams, head work, intakes, turbos, blower, etc.... :) Tons of stuff to choose from now.

If you want to stay NA, the best route is the Big Bore setup with cams and headwork. The strokers aren't making anywhere near the power the big bore blocks are and since we have high revving engines the big bore setups take advantage of this very well.

Cost aren't much higher than doing a rebuild now either......wish those options were available when I rebuild my engine :(

Firme
06-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Slowly?? Not anymore :) Stoker kits, Big Bore kits, Stroker/Bore kits, cams, head work, intakes, turbos, blower, etc.... :) Tons of stuff to choose from now.

more of a reference to how long it took em to get here and how common place they are. There is still alot of development left to have optimal heads, intake and whatnot