PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Dyno results 04 cobra & HAPPY!!!!

Viperone
06-02-2004, 06:20 PM
After my 2001 Cobra disappointed me with a 260 at the wheels (rated 320 crank) I was apprehensive about the 04. How does 408.46 hp and 398.73 lbs sound?? I am very happy with that :D :cool: . All I have is a K&N filter plopped in and slapped my old FR500 exhaust(catback) from the 01 onto the 04. Stock cats and all. I did 3 pulls and all pulls were within 1 HP and 2lbs of torque I think SVT built this one just right. Had to share my results and enjoyment with you'all. Take Care til next post.

Firme
06-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Very nice #'s :thumbsup:

so when you slappin on a Kenny Bell :D

cobrabitn
06-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Freakin A :thumbsup:

cobracrazy
06-02-2004, 11:53 PM
Sweet!!! I'll be putting the chip and pulley on in the next several months...
Ahhh..... Super Chargers!!!!!!

Viperone
06-03-2004, 09:06 PM
I would love the Kenny Bell but my history with modifications indicates that I move slowly and cautiously foreward spending as much money as possible to only tire of it and spend more to improve. I most likely will go with chip and pulley first then bigger blower later. I am going to take the ride out to Bandimere speedway (Denver 1/4) and see how it does. I am hoping for high 13's and trap of 100 or better. The 2001 cobra could only muster a lowly 15.082 at 94.? mph. This was my best time out of 5 runs. Of course I kinda sucked at my launch so a good driver could have seen the 14's.

cobracrazy
06-03-2004, 10:37 PM
If you are looking for high thirteens then I think you will be happy.
One of the guys in my club ran a 12.5 first time out with his 03' with only exhaust and CAI. Those mods dyno'd at 420 RWHP.

He now has a chip and pulley with ~470 RWHP.

I have not run mine on the track. Since it is a vert I think I will be limited to 1/8 mile runs because of roll bar requirements (I could be wrong on this one)

HAVE FUN!!!!!! :thumbsup:

cobracrazy
06-03-2004, 10:38 PM
My Bad!! With your altitude it will possibly have an affect on your times.

Keep us posted with your results.

wk4alvn
06-03-2004, 11:17 PM
???? I may be mistaken, but I have been looking into getting a 04 cobra and comparisons between 05 Sti's, 04 EVO's and corvettes shows 03 and 04 SVT's running high 12's and low 13 like 12.8-13.3 stock. Depending on what you read. Is this not true?

Viperone
06-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Yes, the mile high altitude has a great effect on times/ horsepower but I will def post my times. I can say that I just had a run with a firehawk and I had to stop accelerating in each gear to wait up for him and give him a chance....he had NO chance!!

cobracrazy
06-04-2004, 11:18 AM
wk4alvn-
You are correct with the number you are seeing.
:thumbsup:

wk4alvn
06-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Good I think i am going to purchase a 04 in aug. I have been looking at the mags and they say 331 whp stock and list mods that is under $2500 will put the car at 471 whp i can list the mods if anyone wants them. The car looks impressive. Hope to be making good decision on domestic purchase all i've ever had is imoprt sports cars. my two favorite were 94 3000GT VR4, and 91 RX-7 Turbo

cobracrazy
06-07-2004, 09:45 AM
There is NOTHING like the sound (or feeling) of that 04' with a good exhaust, air intake, chip and pulley. These simple mods will get you 470+ RWHP and yes, all for less than $2500. Don't forget to get a good tune with the chip and pulley. I am sure somone on the boards can recommend a good local shop.

YOU WILL BE VERY HAPPY!!!

Just watch out for the cars with blue light. :eek:

Arch Angel
06-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Congrats!

BTW, I suck at driving & I got 13.95 @ 102 MPH when my 01 was bone stock (275 RWHP/281 RWTQ). Just work on your launch.

Viperone
06-07-2004, 02:51 PM
I would like to draw confidence by all of the sea-level times but trust me when I tell you that this 5280' altitude just kills performance. I have a friend with a completely stock C5 vette and he is talking all kinds of smack about beating me at the 1/4 track. I feel pretty confident that I will show him the back of my car but am keeping it low profile just in case I don't. Looks like we will be lining up on Wed June 23rd so I will post the results of both of us when I have them. Anybody with an 03/04 run a stock C5 yet? If so what was the outcome?

cobracrazy
06-07-2004, 03:21 PM
My parents have a vert C5. It is all stock. I think, as do my parents, that the Cobra is a lot faster than the C5. We have not actually raced them but I have driven them both for a lot of miles. Be careful though... a stock ZO6 will beat you. It is a lot lighter than the Cobra. Also be on the look out for a modded C5 it is lighter as well. IMO the C5 has a better IRS than the Cobra. Much less wheel hop and better launching.

As for the altitude it will affect you both the same so don't be too concerned about that.

You are very wise not talking smack. You never know. Skill will always play a part in the drag race. I'd much rather serve crow than wipe egg off my face.

You should do just fine. GOOD LUCK!! :thumbsup:

Silver03Snake
06-20-2004, 10:52 PM
Great numbers. I just looked at a few 04's in Gastonia, NC. They had a screamin yellow with chromies. All I have to say is that is one darn good looking car. It would be my pick today in a second. I didn't like the orange like I thought I would. I thought it would be more like the 2kR.

Here's a little story on my 03. I put a deposit on one when MT had the first look article back in Feb. of '02. The dealer did a good job getting me one and it was delivered on June 8, one of the first in the country. Mine is no. 21 of all coupes built. We all read the rumors about the 03's tested at PHP putting down close to 370 rwhp. The first Cobras were due to arrive in early May but were put on hold till June. I had ordered a 99/01 Cobra Bassani catted x/p and catback in April so I would have it when the car arrived. It sat on my floor for over a month. I've owned a 99 and an 01 Cobra. The 03 was too quiet. I drove it straight from the dealer and installed the Bassani and a drop-in K&N filter. These were the only mods I had planned for this car. After 900 miles, two weeks later, I took it to the local dyno. The dyno owner is a big time Chevy racer but mostly old muscle cars. He's a damn good guy too. He hadn't heard anything about the 03's. He asked me what I thought I would get. I told him about the rumors. I told him with the exhaust I was hoping for 360. When I made my first pull I looked down and he had a puzzled look. He asked me again what I thought I should get and I told him, "Damn, don't tell me it less than 350". He said, "How 'bout 395". I almost passed out. He was impressed. He said the best F-Body he dynoed was a WS-6 with a few bolt-ons making 330 rwhp. I ran into a few people in town a few days later that stopped me and said the dyno owner told them about my car. They said the dyno owner said I told him I only did a couple of mods but he thought I was snowing him. Today I consider the dyno owner a friend and he gets exited when I show up.

I met a few F-Body owners at Wilkesboro Raceway Park when I had my 01. They were really nice guys. They were really excited when I got my 03. My first time on the track the car made 411 rwhp and 384 rwt with the full exhaust and headers. One of the guys named Eddie had just gotten his SS back from Moore Performance in Charlotte unbeknownst to me with $9k in mods. When I lined up, he pulled down and said Rob wanted to see us run. I asked him what his best pass was and he said 8.8 around 90. I'm thinking I'm going to kill him. Today I still have the vivid image of the ass of that SS leaving me like I was standing still and me in disbelief. I ran a 9 something. I ran a few more passes int eh low 9's and barely ended up cracking an 8. The word had gotten out that I would be at the track. You can bet in July of 02 not many had seen an 03 Cobra. There were F-Bodies out the ying yang and Wilkesboro is mostly a Mustang track. I was a laughing stock. I really made their day. I heard comments like, "I knew the 03 was over rated". They not laughing anymore. It's running 7.30 at 99 mph. When I installed a 2.80 pulley, Eddie and Rob met us as the dyno shop. I made 460 rwhp and they couldn't believe it. Eddie made 360 rwhp but he was pig rich. Moore Performance installed Stg. 3 heads, LS6 cams and intake, headers and true duals, bigger radiator, a 3500 rpm stall and a few other things. The last time I talked to him he was making 400 rwhp. He asked me what I was making and I told him over 500 and all he could do was shake his head. Rob and Eddie are cool guys. They were mad about people laughing at me my first time at the track. I think they knew the 03 would be a car to deal with.

The car has 36k miles as a daily driver. It's made 150 passes down a track with well over 100 on ET Streets and at one time with 4.10 gears but runs on 3.90's today. It makes 18 psi with a full exhaust and JBA 1 5/8 headers. The whole exhaust is 99/01 Cobra. My last dyno with a chiller I made for the IC it made 503 rwhp SAE and 550 rwt. It's made a 1.52 60 ft. best. The car is well known in the town where the dyno owners lives. It's over two years old and it's been a blast. I've only broken one HS and that was on DR's and a slick track. The only Ford problem has been the TOB and retainer.

NO 5 OH
06-23-2004, 01:20 AM
The dealer did a good job getting me one and it was delivered on June 8, one of the first in the country. Mine is no. 21 of all coupes built. We all read the rumors about the 03's tested at PHP putting down close to 370 rwhp.

I've seen it one time... it's pretty fast from what I hear ;);)

When mine was bone stock with 1100 miles on the odometer it laid down 382/388 at the wheels. I thought I was being the victim of a "fast one" but the numbers on the screen didn't lie. I swore up and down that I wasn't going to modify this one (like all my other 'bought new' Mustangs) but that didn't last two weeks. Before I knew it had a 2.75 pulley on it, Metco idlers, WMS 4" velocity tube and a SCT custom tune. With these mods it made 426/511 at the wheels... still through the stock exhaust.

Last time it was on the dyno for a "minor" tuning session with the same mods as before, but a MAC cold air kit installed instead of the velocity tube it made 459/538 at the wheels... still stock manifolds all the way to the tips. I couldn't believe it then either, but the numbers didn't lie.

Now it has the full compliment of MAC exhaust on it (long tubes, pro-chamber, 3" Flowpath catback) along with a Accufab throttle body, and soon to have a 3" upper with a 6lb. lower. I'm hoping for somewhere close to, if not over 500 hp/500 tq at the wheels and I should be a happy camper.

Well... maybe :D

Shannon

Viperone
06-26-2004, 03:46 AM
Well the results are in. I killed my buddies c5 vette. He ran mid to upper 14's and out of three runs I put up a best of 13.742 at 105 trap speed. My 60' were in the 2.2's so there is room to improve for sure. It looks like this altitude costs us about a full second and 10 or so mph....His vette was trapping in the 96mph range. He is not the best driver but there were maybe 6 other vettes running and I would owned em all. I think I can get down to the 13.3 range with better launch and power shifting......then maybe its pulley time? Had a brand new c5 try to take me from a 35 roll and I walked on him pretty bad :D

cobracrazy
06-28-2004, 09:59 AM
Your results are perfect. The standard C5 simply does not have the HP to keep up with your Cobra. The Z06 would have been a different story. Those things are really light, I think they are under 3200 lbs.

Nice Job!! Wasn't this guy talking crap to you?? What did he say after you humbled him?

Although the altitude is a factor I think working your 60' time lower will make a great improvement. It seems hard to break that 2 second time on the F1s.
:thumbsup: :bounce:

Viperone
06-28-2004, 01:02 PM
COBRACRAZY you are right about him talking smack....in fact he was waving a $100 bill under my nose and in front of mutual friends trying to get me to bet more than steaks and beer on who would win. The absolute best part was after I kicked his a## a few times he finally rolled up to the line against an F350 ford pickup turbo deisel. He told me at least now he would run something he could beat.......and the truck smoked him hahahaha...I talked to the truck owner and he said he is piling 44 lbs of boost through his turbo and other upgrades. He ran a high 13 with the truck. My good-ol buddy ain't talking much anymore but he sure is spending a lot of time on the corvette parts web sites :)

Yup I will really concentrate on my launch now. My best run came with a 2000rpm launch and letting clutch out somewhat slowly. I did not speed shift either although I am planning to do so next time. Can you full throttle speed shift every gear? I did 3rd to 4th smootly in practice but 1st to 2nd was ugly in practice on street..

SMOKE
06-28-2004, 06:40 PM
Heh, heh, heh ... good story ViperOne. Sometimes it's better to take the low road. Now there is one more motivated C5 owner out there looking to even the playing field. :D

cobracrazy
06-29-2004, 12:36 AM
HaHaHaHa!!!! :rotf:
Getting beat by a truck!! That would ruin your day for sure.

It is always true that you never know what somone has until you run them.

IT IS ALWAYS BEST to take the low road. Letting him talk and then you calmly spank him.... Ahh that is sweeeeeet!!
BTW: I still likes vettes. I like all sorts of cars. Almost all of them American made.

Good Job. I didn't doubt the outcome for a minute.

As for power shifting... Hmmm Forgot to mention I am too cheap to try that one. With my luck the very first power shift would leave metal filings all over the road. LOL

Viperone
06-30-2004, 04:34 PM
I doubt I will power shift her in the 1/4. If I need a 10th that bad I will pully-n-chip her and grab more than a 10th. At this point I am happy with the exhaust and intake so will work on launch. OK, OK and maybe DR's.