PDA

View Full Version : Battery Relocation.

Levi
06-03-2004, 12:58 PM
I have a street car that I occasionally run at the strip. I've relocated the battery to the rear. What else do I need?
NHRA said,
Any car with a relocated battery must be equipped with a master electrical cutoff, capable of stopping all electrical functions including ignition (must shut the engine off, as well as fuel pumps, etc.). The switch must be located on the rear of the vehicle, with the "off" position clearly marked. If the switch is of a "push / pull" type, then "push" must be the motion that shuts off the switch, and plastic or "keyed" typed switches are prohibited. Also, the battery must be completely sealed from the driver and/or driver compartment. This means a metal bulkhead must separate the trunk from the driver compartment, or the battery must be located in a sealed, metal box constructed of minimum .024 inch steel or .032 inch aluminum, or in an NHRA accepted plastic box. In cars with a conventional trunk, metal can simply be installed behind the rear seat and under the package tray to effectively seal the battery off from the driver. In a hatchback type vehicle the battery box is usually the easiest solution, since the alternative is to fabricate a bulkhead which seals to the hatch when closed. At present, Moroso is the only company which offers an NHRA accepted plastic battery box, part number 74050.

I looked at the trunk location and the batt box will overlap the frame rail thats under the trunk floor.
Q: Do I drilling holes on either side of the frame rail to mount the batt box and It looks like I will have to remove the gas tank to get to one of the mounting holes?

cobrapace94
06-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Stan, it would be best to remove the tank to mount the battery box, to be able to get to the bottom bolt & not to drill a vent hole in the gas tank.
NHRA (HRP) does require a cut off switch for the track, but only if they check. A bulk head behind the rear seat is another option, but still need to vent to the outside.

03 cobra toy
06-03-2004, 03:22 PM
Stan, it would be best to remove the tank to mount the battery box, to be able to get to the bottom bolt & not to drill a vent hole in the gas tank.
NHRA (HRP) does require a cut off switch for the track, but only if they check. A bulk head behind the rear seat is another option, but still need to vent to the outside.

:thumbsup: I don't think they would check....

Levi
06-03-2004, 03:49 PM
This is the one I have and just checking to see if there was any easier way to install it in the trunk.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/tay-48101_w.jpg

bluethunder
06-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Stan, I have one mounted in my trunk, I've mounted several others too. you can put it over the passanger side rear wheel and make all the holes without removing the Tank!

The Cut-off Switch is mandatory for any 1/4 Mile track- In the event of a wreck Emergency Officials can cut power to the car.
They almost didn't let me run FFW because of the Cut-off switch! I am taking the car to Bumbera's to have it installed for a total of $65.00 and they are mounting it under the rear bumper so as not to have any holes in the body of the car!

Let me know and I can help you do this! WE can do it at the house and I have all the air tools we'd need!

Let me know! Trust me spend the money and do the on/ off switch! This way you can cut power when you are not driving it. Mine sits most of the time and kills the battery from time to time!

Levi
06-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks peeps. :thumbsup:

Joey thanks for the offer; I maybe giving you a call. :cool:

97CasperCobra
06-03-2004, 04:16 PM
I've got the Steeda battery relocation kit sitting in my garage awaiting install. Maybe we can do a tech day and document the process so we can put it in our SCMC "TECH" section. :thumbsup:

bluethunder
06-03-2004, 04:37 PM
I've got the Steeda battery relocation kit sitting in my garage awaiting install. Maybe we can do a tech day and document the process so we can put it in our SCMC "TECH" section. :thumbsup:
I'm up for it- the Steeda one is the easiest of all to do for some reason!

Levi
06-04-2004, 10:35 AM
:thumbsup: I don't think they would check....
David, If you get a chance take some pic's of Larry Batt Relocate and post them, I forgot where you all located the ground from the batt and what do you do with the old location connections.

03 cobra toy
06-04-2004, 01:15 PM
David, If you get a chance take some pic's of Larry Batt Relocate and post them, I forgot where you all located the ground from the batt and what do you do with the old location connections.

Ill post some pic later if I get a chance..The old ground at the battery was grounded to the body and the new one was grounded at the body in the trunk.I this helps you.

Levi
06-04-2004, 02:28 PM
Ill post some pic later if I get a chance..The old ground at the battery was grounded to the body and the new one was grounded at the body in the trunk.I this helps you.

Yes this does help, Thanks vary, vary, vary much. :thumbsup:
If you donít get a chance to take pic's that ok, ok. :cool: