PDA

View Full Version : 96 cobra question

SVTCobra96
06-05-2004, 04:37 AM
a guy told me the 96-98 cobra heads suck he told me they dont flow well is that true?:doubt:

tcrews
06-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Nope, they flow EXTREMELY well, so well that Ford had to use IMRC's to reduce the flow below 3250rpm to help create torque.

The velocity of the flow could use a little help (torque) but the volume of the flow is incredible, better than the newer 4V Cobras.

The '96-'98 GT heads flow like crap.....but not the Cobra heads.

a guy told me the 96-98 cobra heads suck he told me they dont flow well is that true?:doubt:

SVTCobra96
06-05-2004, 02:24 PM
thanks man im lookin into getting a 96 s/c cobra :D with other mods hes holding it for me so im tryin to get the cash for it thanks and do u have aim?:bounce:

SVTCobra96
06-05-2004, 02:36 PM
also tcrews here are the mods on the 96 cobra : vortech supercharger,tremec transmission, 3:73 gears, pro 5.0 shifter, king cobra clutch, i wanted to know what else can i do to it to increase hp not cheap that increases like 5hp i mean stuff that increases it 15+hp i am def. going to change the gears to 4.10s what else do u think cause i want to break the 500hp range and its pullin around 450hp now thanks trent (p.s. or anything else i need to do to make sure the s/c boost doesnt mess up anything, changing anything u know)

tcrews
06-05-2004, 05:44 PM
First thing I would do before buying the car is asked to take it to a mechanic. Have a compression and leak down test performed on the engine to make sure there are no issues with it now, would suck to buy a car that needs a $6000+ rebuild the next day.

As for making 500rwhp, is it a built engine or still stock? If it's stock, don't even think about trying to push that much, it won't last long at all. There are exceptions but the norm is much over 460 rwhp and you start having failures.

Decent mods would be a powerpipe, or a smaller pulley. Honestly though, if it's making 450 rwhp now and the engine checks out I wouldn't look at changing anything until you've got the money to pay for a rebuild.

Things to do....always run the highest octane you can find (93/94), change your oil regularly as well as your spark plugs. Stay off the 'lead foot' when the engine is hot from long driving or high air temperatures. Be very aware of every little noise the car makes, etc...

Lots of fun.....but not fun at all when you toast your engine !!

SVTCobra96
06-07-2004, 03:07 AM
tcrews how much would a compression and leak check cost see he lives about an hour away from me and i dont want to just come out and say can i take your car to a mechanic, also how can i tell if the motor is stock and if it is stock how much do u think it would cost to rebuild it and are we talkin taken the whole engine apart or something like that can u explain it a little more thanks trent

(p.s. thanks for ur help tcrews):D

tcrews
06-07-2004, 08:13 AM
I have no idea what the cost would be for the test, I have a friend who is a mechanic who does all my stuff. Before driving to see the car, talk to the owner and tell him you'd like to get a compression test done on the engine before buying the car. He should have no problems with that unless he's hiding something. Find a shop in his area to take the vehicle for testing.

An engine rebuild will be anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000 depending on what you want done. A basic rebuild with forged components would be about $3,000 using your engine as the core. Forged components are stronger than the stock stuff and hold up better under boost. A radical rebuild with cams, headwork, big-bore or stroker setup will be more. My rebuild (.020 overbore, blower cams, ported heads) was right around $6,400. Removing and reinstalling the engine will add to the cost unless you do the work yourself.

tcrews how much would a compression and leak check cost see he lives about an hour away from me and i dont want to just come out and say can i take your car to a mechanic, also how can i tell if the motor is stock and if it is stock how much do u think it would cost to rebuild it and are we talkin taken the whole engine apart or something like that can u explain it a little more thanks trent

(p.s. thanks for ur help tcrews):D

SVTCobra96
06-08-2004, 07:34 PM
I have already been to see the cobra awhile back and he hasnt been driving it that much at all miles are almost the same as when i went to see it..well ill check into the compression test exactly how long will it take to perform this test this is going to be my main car so i dont want to get to overboard with mods seeing how much the gas is lately oh well thanks again, trent:thumbsup: http://www.corral.net/photopost/data/515/54387cobra-med.bmp

SVTCobra96
06-08-2004, 07:41 PM
http://www.corral.net/photopost/data/515/54387cobchrome5-med.jpg:bounce: This is not the cobra im gettin, but a nice one at that

smashedheadcat
06-08-2004, 10:08 PM
I was one of the unfortunate ones who lost my engine very very early. The rebuild for me pushed $7000, and that was a mild porting of the heads/intake. Second time around, the rebuild pushed $6000 using my forged rods and pistons. All I had to buy was crankshaft, gaskets, oil pump, billet oil gears, billet trigger wheel, cam gears and a few here and theres. I removed and re-installed the engine myself. So, make sure the car is in tip-top shape when you buy it, because if it's not, it'll slaughter the finances. If you can get 450rwhp to hook, it's a blast.

Josh

SVTCobra96
06-08-2004, 11:37 PM
just wondering can u lose/break the engine on 430rwhp on a stock 96 cobra engine??

SVTCobra96
06-08-2004, 11:40 PM
also what is the max hp the 96 cobra engine can take without having a rebuild?:dunno:

tcrews
06-09-2004, 09:29 AM
just wondering can u lose/break the engine on 430rwhp on a stock 96 cobra engine??
You can lose/break the engine at 260rwhp (stock power). There is no set "limit" at what the stock engine can take though remember it was designed around 305 crank hp (about 260-265 rwhp). You are in effect almost doubling the power output. Some last a long time at gobs of power (600 rwhp - stock long block with blower and nitrous), some last a week with just a basic blower kit (400 rwhp).