PDA

View Full Version : Let's see what they do.......

smashedheadcat
06-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Okay, by looking at these pictures, you'll see that this transmission is trashed. It is very new, and it has less that 2 hundred miles on it with zero powershifts. I called the company that hand assembled the trans and they asked 2 questions........ how much power do I make, and what clutch do I use? They then said to ship it to them, and they'd make the warranty decision from there........ I just wanted to post this, because I'm going to send all my pieces that came out of the drain that I caught with a magnet just so they can see everything. I think I'll send a dyno graph with it as well with an explanation of what I was doing when it broke. And without further uh-dooooooo ;), here are the pics............ Either my car makes over 900 horsepower, or runs 9.90 ET's without me knowing it, or something wasn't my fault (no powershifts ever), the trans let go on a 3rd gear roll BTW. Let me know what you guys think, and I'll keep you updated on how the warranty comes out........ (this is for my black 97 cobra in case anyone was wondering).

Josh

tcrews
06-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Dang dude......hope everything works out. I'd like to see some goodluck fall on you with that car :) LOL

smashedheadcat
06-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Ha ha ha. I know right......... Til then..... we play like this.........

tcrews
06-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Any times with the '03 Cobra?

I just ordered a VRS offroad Xpipe and a Bassani catback for the '98 Vert.....gears will be next.....then who knows what :)

My Cobra
06-05-2004, 11:56 PM
that is a sad pic about the tranny. :( but i gotta say that the burn out pic is bad @$$ keep us up to date about the tranny. You gotta pay for shipping on that thing to them?

smashedheadcat
06-06-2004, 08:28 AM
Any times with the '03 Cobra?

I just ordered a VRS offroad Xpipe and a Bassani catback for the '98 Vert.....gears will be next.....then who knows what :)

All 1/8 mile times. No quarter mile times yet.

With just an air filter, stinger catback, shifter, nitto 315/35's I went:

Reaction .740
60FT 1.83
330 FT 5.298
ET 8.174
MPH 86.187

Not bad for crappy air. Car ran 8.3XX to 8.4XX with a mild burnout, and the time above is with the John Force burnout pictured.

Josh

smashedheadcat
06-06-2004, 08:30 AM
that is a sad pic about the tranny. :( but i gotta say that the burn out pic is bad @$$ keep us up to date about the tranny. You gotta pay for shipping on that thing to them?

I'm going to pay shipping to them, and I'm okay with that as long as they warranty it and pay to ship it back. Thanks for the props on the pic. I honestly saw my girlfriend pointing the camera, so I just kept going til the smoke went over the front of the car. (just for the pic) But, it did yeild me my best 60ft and ET for that matter.

smashedheadcat
06-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Oh yeah, sweet purchase on the 98 as far as exhaust goes......... you love that bassani don't ya?

Josh

tcrews
06-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Oh yeah, sweet purchase on the 98 as far as exhaust goes......... you love that bassani don't ya?

Josh

Yep...nothing else out there sounds as sweet (to me).

cobrabitn
06-06-2004, 02:48 PM
JOsh,

Two questions???

1) Can you send me a high res pick of your car at the strip from that photo and

2) Did you get a video to go with it? :thumbsup:

Good luck on the 97 tranny getting replaced! :)

smashedheadcat
06-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Yep...nothing else out there sounds as sweet (to me).

I hear ya, but honestly, I've only heard 3 bassani cars in person. Yours, Greg Oswell's, and one that had a just a catback, otherwise stock. I like yours, but yours is different with cams/blower etc, Gregs, (didn't like his) long tubes, o/r H-pipe and bassani. I love my borla's, (I'm either selling the 97 or turning it into a drag car) but I may dump the side exhaust for a set of dumps. I can run chambered or flow through's because I have an h and an x to choose from. I run the borla stingers on the white car, and they flat out rock. Bassani has never really intrigued me, but then again, I never really get to hear it.

Josh

smashedheadcat
06-06-2004, 02:54 PM
JOsh,

Two questions???

1) Can you send me a high res pick of your car at the strip from that photo and

2) Did you get a video to go with it? :thumbsup:

Good luck on the 97 tranny getting replaced! :)

Answer 1: I'm sorry, but I can't, that's how the pic came out.........But however comma..... I'll get you a high res pic next time I go, and I go often. :)

Answer 2: No video either........ but I'll get that knocked out as well next time I go. That's a promise.

Josh

smashedheadcat
06-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Here's one from the start of the burnout...... I can try to clean it up in photoshop????

tcrews
06-06-2004, 03:41 PM
I hear ya, but honestly, I've only heard 3 bassani cars in person. Yours, Greg Oswell's, and one that had a just a catback, otherwise stock. I like yours, but yours is different with cams/blower etc, Gregs, (didn't like his) long tubes, o/r H-pipe and bassani. I love my borla's, (I'm either selling the 97 or turning it into a drag car) but I may dump the side exhaust for a set of dumps. I can run chambered or flow through's because I have an h and an x to choose from. I run the borla stingers on the white car, and they flat out rock. Bassani has never really intrigued me, but then again, I never really get to hear it.

Josh

Well the Bassani catback with an offroad H sounds pretty horrible. I had that combo for about 3 days before I had to get rid of it :) It's that whole offroad pipe and proper muffler combination (H - chambered, X - straight thru). If you have a catted pipe it doesn't seem to matter.

Still it is a personal preference for everyone.....so you have to get what you like. I like Bassani :) LOL

smashedheadcat
06-13-2004, 04:40 PM
oops........ nevermind. :)

NO 5 OH
06-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Dang Josh... you have the worse luck on that car :(

Please for the love of God don't put dumps on the 97!! I've rode in a couple Mustangs with dumped mufflers on them and it's loud... and really obnoxious. I think mine sounds good now... but man what a pain in the nads it was putting the stuff on. I'm glad you've had good luck with long tube installations... mine went right to the crapper :eek:

I should have mine back on the dyno this week... hopefully with a full 500 at the wheels and 500 + ft/lbs. or torque to go with it :thumbsup:

Shannon

smashedheadcat
06-13-2004, 10:40 PM
Dang Josh... you have the worse luck on that car :(

Please for the love of God don't put dumps on the 97!! I've rode in a couple Mustangs with dumped mufflers on them and it's loud... and really obnoxious. I think mine sounds good now... but man what a pain in the nads it was putting the stuff on. I'm glad you've had good luck with long tube installations... mine went right to the crapper :eek:

I should have mine back on the dyno this week... hopefully with a full 500 at the wheels and 500 + ft/lbs. or torque to go with it :thumbsup:

Shannon

I know my luck isn't that good with the 97, but it's my beast, and i promised it I'd take care of it along time ago. She just needs more attention than most cars, and we'll eventually work through it's problems. I personally love the sound of dumped exhaust, and since my car never runs for a long period of time, it isn't that big of a deal. :D Also, the long tubes don't even phase me anymore. It's just kind of expected every time I turn a wrench on the car. I can have the passenger side header off the car in about an hour from start to finish. I can get it back on in about an hour and a half. So it's not too bad anymore. But, I may swap them out in the future for something else. Just haven't decided what route I want to with the car down the road (if I still have it). One more thing, what did you do to your terminator to have you expecting 500/500 in power??

Josh

NO 5 OH
06-14-2004, 03:30 AM
One more thing, what did you do to your terminator to have you expecting 500/500 in power??

Stock... that's it. Bone stock.
03 Cobra's come with 500 rwhp stock, right ;);)

Well, it's like this more or less. The last time it was on the dyno this is what it had:

MAC "Straight Shot" cold air w/95 mm MAF (uses stock electronics)
Kenne Bell 2.75" upper (stock Eaton, non ported)
Metco 100mm auxillary idler, 100mm and 90mm replacement idlers
SCT handheld programmer tuned by Don at Modular Madness
Stock exhaust from the manifolds back to the tips

With this it made 459/538 at the wheels. Belt is slipping as there is a lot of belt dust on the idlers, and blower/valve covers (remembers now why he loves turbos so much :D). When it goes back to the dyno hopefully this week/weekend some time this is what it will have:

MAC cold air
MAC 1 5/8" ceramic coated long tubes
MAC Pro-Chamber
MAC 3" Flowpath catback
Kenne Bell 3.00" upper, Metco 6lb lower
Metco 100mm auxillary idler, 100mm and 90mm replacement idlers
Accufab throttle body
SCT handheld programmer tuned again by Don @ Modular Madness

He had one convertible with FMS shorties and a 2.80 pulley (stock lower) put 491/500+ at the wheels, with him tuning it. He had another 03 coupe in with basically the same mods as me, except he was running the full compliment of Bassani exhaust (catted x-pipe, midlengths) and had a 2.93 with the 6lb lower (I think) and he put down 499/500 something at the wheels with Don tuning as well.

I'm not saying that my car will make 500 at the wheels... but due to what it put down on the last dyno and given the parts that are on it now... it should be real close. The exhaust has really helped out as before from a 1st gear roll it would start to spin and then hop... now it just lights the tires up. The only gripe I have against the MAC long tubes right now is one of the primary tubes is right up against the starter solenoid... and it makes some wonderfull nosies when you start up the car. I have a feeling that the passenger side header will have to come back off and I'll have to "massage" that one tube to get some more clearance for the solenoid. That, and I'll probably have to replace the starter while I'm at it :mad:

It never ends, does it :D:D:D

Shannon

Big Daddy
06-14-2004, 10:06 AM
Josh,

You have worse luck than I do! I hope all goes well with getting the tranny replaced!! :D

BTW I don't have O/R H-pipe mine is catted.

smashedheadcat
06-14-2004, 11:50 AM
Josh,

You have worse luck than I do! I hope all goes well with getting the tranny replaced!! :D

BTW I don't have O/R H-pipe mine is catted.

I knew you'd catch that. :D My luck isn't the best, but I'm in better shape financially now, and it doesn't get me as depressed anymore. :) Also, I didn't mean to say your car didn't sound very good....... just not the scream I'm looking for..... you know how it is.... to each his own. :)

Josh

smashedheadcat
07-22-2004, 10:32 AM
I figured I'd update everyone on this issue. X2C stood by their product, and replaced it. It shipped out yesterday, and I'm die'n to get it back into the car. These guys are top notch, reguardless of what I've read about them.

Josh

Aaron94
07-22-2004, 12:24 PM
Glad to hear you are getting the trans taken care of Josh.

About the dumps, I like the sound of em too. I don't know that i would do it again for an everyday car, but i like the sound. I had BBK shorties/H-Flow H-Pipe and Flomaster 2 Chambers on my 91 Hatch and it sounded saaaweeeeet. :thumbsup:

If you do ditch the side exhaust, I may have a friend with a black 98 GT who would be interested in it, if the system would fit. I imagine it would, but I am not familiar with side exhausts, and 4.6's...

BadMoFo
07-22-2004, 03:37 PM
ok now tell them they lost it and send anouther to replace mine since ford is still working on the thing. you were right I should have called you and bribed you with food and beer I guess cause this really sucks. I cant beleive that you killed that trans already though, thats crazy, maybe you should let me have the beast for a while and see if I have all that bad luck. :thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
07-23-2004, 10:20 AM
ok now tell them they lost it and send anouther to replace mine since ford is still working on the thing. you were right I should have called you and bribed you with food and beer I guess cause this really sucks. I cant beleive that you killed that trans already though, thats crazy, maybe you should let me have the beast for a while and see if I have all that bad luck. :thumbsup:

You break it, you buy it....... ;) ???

BadMoFo
07-23-2004, 10:32 AM
lol, right now I am trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for my trans.

smashedheadcat
07-26-2004, 11:05 PM
I hear ya bud. Did you get your car back yet? I've been in Iceland all weekend.

Josh

BadMoFo
07-27-2004, 07:10 AM
nope, called yetserday and they said they were in the process of fixing the trans so they havent even started to put it back togther yet. been at the shop for almost 3 weeks now. I dont know if I will remember how to drive it or not since its been so long, but on a positive note this is the longest a tank of gas has lasted me. :rolleyes:

smashedheadcat
07-27-2004, 07:22 AM
nope, called yetserday and they said they were in the process of fixing the trans so they havent even started to put it back togther yet. been at the shop for almost 3 weeks now. I dont know if I will remember how to drive it or not since its been so long, but on a positive note this is the longest a tank of gas has lasted me. :rolleyes:

Hell, I may get my trans back and get my 97 running before your car is done, and that's not good. Hell, my 97 went from January of '02 until Labor day weekend with the same tank of gas in it. :) Waiting on hyland stuff.

Josh

BadMoFo
07-27-2004, 10:54 AM
but at least it was worth the wait cause it was an upgrade, I am just getting the same trans back, no more power or anything like that. oh ya check your pm's and let me know whats up. got a suprise, this trans thing kinda threw me off though.

smashedheadcat
07-28-2004, 07:28 AM
but at least it was worth the wait cause it was an upgrade, I am just getting the same trans back, no more power or anything like that. oh ya check your pm's and let me know whats up. got a suprise, this trans thing kinda threw me off though.

A $7000 upgrade that lasted 1134 miles.

BadMoFo
07-28-2004, 10:47 AM
A $7000 upgrade that lasted 1134 miles.

true, but I bet it was fun while it lasted. I wish I had the cash for a stroker kit. forge all of that and throw on some nitrous, that would be nice.

smashedheadcat
07-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Save the money, and do a big bore kit when it comes time to rebuild. Which, if tuned correctly, you won't need a rebuild anytime soon.

Josh

BadMoFo
07-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Save the money, and do a big bore kit when it comes time to rebuild. Which, if tuned correctly, you won't need a rebuild anytime soon.

Josh

thats what I was thinking to. just do it right when the time comes and I wont have to worry about that anymore. and hopefully by that time the prices will have come down some you know. so get the trans back yet, since we are getting off track here?

smashedheadcat
07-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Umm........ no haven't gotten the trans yet. But it's cool, it'll get here when it gets here (truck freight from cali). And.............. GO PICK UP YOUR CAR!! It's done, they finished it up yesterday afternoon in case they haven't called ya. :) If you need a ride down there, give me a call. 259-7211.

Josh

redsnake99
07-29-2004, 10:26 AM
Josh, the original tranny on my 99 failed twice. The first time, my service advisor at the Ford Dealer where I bought it went to bat for me, saying that mine was just a show car. Ford covered the repair.

The second time it failed, a different advisor (first one had quit in disgust) did not do so well and Ford denied the repair under warranty (I had the 100,000 mile version). I argued with them all the way to Dearborn, to no avail. Since I was now going to have to pay for a new tranny anyway, I opted for the T-56 6-speed and had True Blue Performace put it in. So far, I've never regretted that decision.

:thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
07-29-2004, 10:38 AM
I was really going to do the six speed conversion, but I figured I'd bust the thing up. Ha ha ha, look where it got me. Anyway, I opted for the X2C V.1 transmission. These trans are built to handle upwards of 900 horsepower and ET's as quick as 9.90. In a 3300lb car no less. I figured, there would be no way I could ever break this thing....... so I forked out the extra dough, and here we are. They did stand behind it, and that's all I could have hoped for. I kick myself in the butt for not going with an Automatic....... :(

Josh

BadMoFo
07-29-2004, 02:18 PM
ya Josh they never called me, I just love that place. They always claim to call me then I ask what number and they give me 910 area codes and old numbers that I dont have anymore, and then I ask why didnt you call the 3 numbers that I gave you when I turned the car in. But they say the total is $1250 but they havent called the warrenty place to see what they are going to cover, I have no idea what the hell these people are waiting for. :rolleyes: I better call them back....again... to see if they have done anything productive.