PDA

View Full Version : 96 cobra...mods

SVTCobra96
06-09-2004, 02:35 AM
well i dont have enough for a rebuild but im gonna put these items on to reduce the risk of something happening to the motor please tell me what kind i should get and the links to them thanks, i was thinking of a: pulley set,a new intake for the s/c, new chip and also new spark plugs and wires. anything else that would reduce the risk of engine failure plz list them. thanks, trent

tcrews
06-09-2004, 08:24 AM
pulley set
Absolutely NOT. This will be the easiest way to blow your engine. Leave the stock pulley on.

a new intake for the s/c, What type of intake are you talking about? A powerpipe. Recommended but it will increase your boost. http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/catalog/page3.htm

new chip Definitely do after the powerpipe
and also new spark plugs and wires. Autolite 764's gapped at .035, any quality plug wires (MSD, Taylor, etc..)

Make sure a competent tuner with experience on modular engines does the tune, keep A/F ratios in the mid 11's at most and do not try to gain "top numbers". When driving, keep your RPMs down, shift at the most around 6,400 and always pay attention to every sound/noise/feeling when driving the car hard.

It's a coin toss on longevity. Some have better "luck" than others. Tune is very important, LUCK plays a large part and playing it smart is another large part. One bad tank of gas and your engine is gone, one clogged fuel injector and your engine is gone, one clogged fuel filter and your engine is gone, etc....

If you don't have the money for the rebuild, do not do anything to increase power of the engine/blower.

SVTCobra96
06-09-2004, 11:06 AM
alright i just gotta take care of her and not run her hard alot also how much is that powerpipe u showed me they didnt have a price on it? and do u think i should buy a diablo chip after the intake?

tcrews
06-09-2004, 12:38 PM
alright i just gotta take care of her and not run her hard alot also how much is that powerpipe u showed me they didnt have a price on it? and do u think i should buy a diablo chip after the intake?
$250 - $260 I believe, probably like $249 or $259 :)

No, I do not think you should buy any chip at all. I think you should have the car dyno'ed with wideband A/F metering and have a tuner "tune" your car on the dyno. They make a pull, monitor the pull's A/F, pull the chip out of your computer and put it on their chip-writer. They make adjustments to the tune and write that to the chip. The chip goes back into your computer and you make another pull on the dyno, again monitoring the A/F and power. This is repeated until a good safe tune is created, customized just for your configuration. No mail order chip will do that...PERIOD.

Any change you make to the 'configuration' of your engine will need to be re-evaluated so it's always a good idea to have what you want done....done, before getting a dyno-tune. So get the powerpipe first before the tune.

The car should have a tune on it now.....do you know what tune the owner is running? Is it what came with the kit or a dyno-tuned chip or what? I'd find out first before making any plans to do anything to the car.

SVTCobra96
06-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Do i get the 96-01 cobra 96-01 gt vortech and paxton AF-0110C OR Power pipe for 96-98 normally aspirated cobra mustang and 2001 bullitt mustang AF-0117C? or is there another one i need to get that im overlooking?

SVTCobra96
06-09-2004, 02:33 PM
also the cobra has 3:73 gears and i want 4.10 should i have them done also before i do the tune?

SVTCobra96
06-09-2004, 02:38 PM
hmm tcrews no one i know up here does dynos if i bring the car down to SC when i do all the mods before i tune can u do it or do u know someone that can do it for me? if u have aim my aim is SVTCobra9654 and my phone number is 919-742-4000 call me if u think this will be possible thank you

SVTCobra96
06-09-2004, 02:59 PM
alright i talked to the owner he said all he would do is put a C & L Mass Air Meter and maybe some Headers and some anderson powerpipes and he is using the vortech s/c chip that came with the s/c and if i wanted a compression test done he would do it and send it to me so that makes me feel alot better after i talked to him :D :bounce: :thumbsup:

tcrews
06-09-2004, 06:03 PM
hmm tcrews no one i know up here does dynos if i bring the car down to SC when i do all the mods before i tune can u do it or do u know someone that can do it for me? if u have aim my aim is SVTCobra9654 and my phone number is 919-742-4000 call me if u think this will be possible thank you
I don't do tuning (yet) but there are places in NC that have great tuners, like Randy Haywood of http://www.haywoodspeed.com/ he's the guy that tuned my car.

tcrews
06-09-2004, 06:07 PM
alright i talked to the owner he said all he would do is put a C & L Mass Air Meter and maybe some Headers and some anderson powerpipes and he is using the vortech s/c chip that came with the s/c and if i wanted a compression test done he would do it and send it to me so that makes me feel alot better after i talked to him :D :bounce: :thumbsup:
I wouldn't put a C & L Mass on a supercharged car.........Pro M only. The C & L meters tend to lean out the cars and that is something you do not want with a supercharger :)

The anderson powerpipe is what I was showing you in the link I posted earlier. The car you are looking at is a '96-'97-'98 model right? If so you want the AF-0110C

tcrews
06-09-2004, 06:09 PM
also the cobra has 3:73 gears and i want 4.10 should i have them done also before i do the tune?

Gears will not affect the engine so it will not affect the tune. You can do those anytime you want. Anything that is going to affect the power levels of the engine....ie..exhaust, pulleys, MAF meter, etc... you will want to do before the tune or have another tune done after the mods are changed.

Dyno-tuning will be in the $700+ range so be prepared. You have to pay for dyno time, dyno tuning and chip.

SVTCobra96
06-09-2004, 10:22 PM
alright lol u gotta tell me what u do to get all taht money for this stuff lol well would u happen to know the site for the Pro M air meter? thanks trent.

tcrews
06-10-2004, 08:13 AM
alright lol u gotta tell me what u do to get all taht money for this stuff lol well would u happen to know the site for the Pro M air meter? thanks trent.
I work :)

Pick up a Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine, they have tons of advertizers listed that sell all this stuff. You can call any and tell them what you have and what you want and they can get you the right part. Always remember to tell them the year, the model (Cobra or GT) and what type application (naturally aspirated, supercharged, nitrous) etc...

I've bought a lot of stuff from Houston Performance http://www.houstonperformance.com/ and highly recommend them.

Your first priority should be to buy this car (if it's the one you want), have it checked out and drive it while learning as much as you can about your car in particular (any quirks, issues, etc..). Also continue reading posts here and elsewhere from people who have done similar things that you want to do.
A 400+ rwhp car is a LOT for most people, I really think you should slow down and learn the car before you consider doing any modifications to it......it's pretty heavily modded already.

The more you learn the more money you'll save and the more impressive the car will become. I started modding and the "mod-bug" bit me hard and I started doing as much as I could.....a nice $7000 later (just on the engine rebuild) I'm not so keen on throwing mods on a car just to make it faster. I want to make it "better" as well. I've probably spent more on mods than I paid for the car brand new.....now that is depressing.

SVTCobra96
06-10-2004, 02:16 PM
lol this is def the one i want i have been seaching for 2 years for the "right" cobra i finally found this one and i have already drove it all i can say is WOW lol and i am putting the intake on when i get it cause i thought it would reduce a lil bit engine failure buy anyway tcrews thanks for your help i really like your site also ;) thanks trent

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/logos/Snake_small.jpg

SVTCobra96
06-10-2004, 02:27 PM
will u be going to the 5th anniversary on june 24-27?

smashedheadcat
06-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Just a quick comment on the C&L maf....... I had this setup originally, 36lb injectors, 80mm C&L maf and a 6:1 FMU. My engine let go, but I can't say the maf caused it to. Car ran great, and idled like a stocker. I now have a 95mm PRO-M Maf, and I like that too. But, I've had an erratic idle ever since switching to the autologic chip, 42lb injectors and pro-m maf. I don't know what caused this, but as soon as I did the injector/maf/chip swap, my car idles funky, and unless my a/c panel is "OFF" or in "FLOOR", my car will idle at 2000+rpms. I'm going to work this issue soon though.

Josh