PDA

View Full Version : 99-01 Hood

Jesse99
06-09-2004, 06:16 PM
I know I heard about it somewhere, but I didn't pay much attention to it.. But this passed weekend here in Arlington Tx. at the Hot Rod Power Tour.. I got to see the 2004 40th Anniversary Mustang and Roush.. I was shock to see that my hood was no-longer unique to my car :mad: Not believing what I saw at the Power Tour I went to my dealer yesturday.. And there it was, my hood on a new Mustang.. I'm not mad on the fact that it was on another mustang, but the fact that it was on a plan and Roush Mustang. Yes these are great car.. But I thing Ford could have designed a diffrent hood for them.. I just wonder if SVT had a say so or maybe, it's the fact that SVT is only about there name on the motor and nothing more.. Although I'll be and stay loyal to SVT, I'm just disappointed.. (Just my 2 cent's) Later

Firme
06-09-2004, 06:24 PM
I hear you man... hate to add fuel to the fire, but not only is the hood on a roush, but its is THE V6 mustang hood. The wheels are also available on V6 and GT's :(

ausie
07-05-2004, 11:23 AM
I noticed that as well. I first noticed the wheels finding their way on the base line Mustangs. As far as the unique hood, that does not really bother me. Since the 03 model, ford had to use up existing inventory somewhere. Makes me think about converting my car into a sleeper (v6 emblems, etc.... not).
Since the SVT product having that hood only ran for two years 99 and 01, and was replaced by the 03 version, Ford took the styling cues from the SVT to spice up the V6 and other base line products (actually I thought that the V6 always had a similar hood). Actually I was disappointed when they removed the oval ports from the hood (prior to 99). The point being, they are all mustangs. It is not just the motors that are modular, so are the body parts (to some degree). If Ford would have put off the new 05 mustang for a few years, then I would expect that even parts from the 03-04 SVT would have found their way onto other platforms. No matter what model it is, at least they did not make one look as ugly as a chevey. Besides that, most drivers of other cars can only recognize a Mustang from the rear and they probably don't have much time to notice what the front of the car looks like :D .

My Cobra
07-05-2004, 12:34 PM
Speaking of hoods. My 99 was sent to the paint shop and came back with out a lot of things on it. IE fog lights benzels and things of that matter. I was wondering if the hood on the 99 cobra was spose to have some kinda of plastic piece that goes over the 2 wholes in the hood? I do not know what to call them.:crazy: But i know that mine are open i was wondering if there was spose to be a plastic piece on those kind of like the hood scoop on the GT has some plastic piece there. Why do they put the cool looking hood scoops on the GT and put something that looks like the V6 hood on to the cobra? Take for example the 99 i think had they put the hood scoop on the cobra it woudl have made it stand out a little bit more from a normal stang. It makes me mad that there are only a few things diffrant about the cobra and you woudl not know what to look for to see if it was a cobra if you did not know much about stangs. Peopel could throw on some cheep emblems they get off of e-bay and it woudl look almost like a cobra. :( :evil:

Jesse99
07-05-2004, 02:24 PM
I get that alot ("Is that a real Cobra") The deal with the 99 is the fact SVT took short cuts (I think to save cost, but who knows) .. But what I liked the most is SVT did listen to the people and fixed everything everyone wanted by re-doing the car and bringing it back in 01.. but getting back on the subject, I know the 99-01 Cobra are mustang and it shouldn't matter.. But there is a big different on the price of a Cobra and a Lx.. If this keeps happening we just might be seeing the end of Cobras.. Look at the F-body (GMC) Covette, Firebird, T/A, Camaro.. All different cars.. All of those cars are gone except the Corvette.. Why? Because all the cars had the same engine (350, LT1, LS1) Although the Camaro is comming back for it's anniversary.. it's going to have the C5 Covette engine.. It goes to show you, why buy a corvette when I can get a camaro cheaper with no different in power.. Anyway, I know you can make a fake Cobra, but the point is you have to buy all the parts to do this.. Now it's standered on all Lx.. with a few Cobra emblems on it, you have a fake Cobra.. It won't take much to do this.. (Just my two cents...)

Jesse99
07-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Speaking of hoods. My 99 was sent to the paint shop and came back with out a lot of things on it. IE fog lights benzels and things of that matter. I was wondering if the hood on the 99 cobra was spose to have some kinda of plastic piece that goes over the 2 wholes in the hood?
Yes it does.. You may want to take it back and tell them to put it back on.. I'm sure they just forgot.. Later :thumbsup:

My Cobra
07-05-2004, 10:10 PM
where can i pick some up? Is it one black piece or 2 black pieces? Are they black? Should i leave them off? what are your thoughts? thanks for the input. I have seen a guy take a GT and turn it in to a saleen look a like pissed me off but made me feel good when i smoked him every day. a few of my friends alwase say that my cobra is fake lol till i show them the letter from svt saying it is real.

Jesse99
07-05-2004, 10:44 PM
where can i pick some up? Is it one black piece or 2 black pieces? Are they black? Should i leave them off? what are your thoughts? thanks for the input. I have seen a guy take a GT and turn it in to a saleen look a like pissed me off but made me feel good when i smoked him every day. a few of my friends alwase say that my cobra is fake lol till i show them the letter from svt saying it is real.

It should be one black peace.. You can get it at a dealership.. as for the fog lights benzels I've seen it on Ebay.. And I would try to fix everything.. If you look on Ebay you should find what your looking for.. If not the dealer is your best bet, unless someone here knows..

My Cobra
07-05-2004, 10:54 PM
I live in an area where there is not a SVT dealer. I have tried to order fog lights 2 times and every time i get ones that do not fit. they send me ones for an explorer or focus and tell me they will fit. It I have looked around on e-bay also. The regular ford dealers here i do not even think they know what a cobra is. I go in there and they ask me all kinds of questions like "What kinda motor does that thing have in it" I am thinkin and you work for ford? So i do not like to deal with them. Maybe when i go on vacation i will be able to pick some up. any part numbers for the fog lights and benzels and the piece for the hood would be nice. thanks. Why would the paint shop keep these things? I went back and they said they did not have them. LOL what a joke.

Jesse99
07-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Here's a link to ebay for the Fog light bezel http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7909399424&category=33709

Here's a great place to buy parts.. they have almost everything for mustangs.. http://www.mustangsalvageparts.com/

My Cobra
07-06-2004, 01:14 AM
yes i tried to buy the benzels the last time the guy had them up for auction but he jacked up the price when i went to buy them now so i said screw it. this is the 3rd time he has listed them. i e-mailed that mustang place they said they do not have any and hardly ever have them and told me to check with SVT so i guess that is about all i can do. thanks for the help thoguth i will go to the ford dealer tomorrow and see if they can at least give me the right part numbers.

ausie
07-06-2004, 07:18 AM
Unfortunately, Ford does not allow unauthorized dealers to obtain SVT components so they do not get the data base for the product unless they are an authorized SVT dealer. Of course we all know what makes the SVT different from the general mill mustang, and the difference between the mass produced one as compared to the SVT is emmence. There are common parts such as body panels, including hoods, wheels, lights, etc. Let them put the emblems on the car, so what. The only way to tell if it is a real cobra is to run the vin numbers to validate the vehicle if you suspect what you are buying (assuming you are in the market for one). Anybody could fabricate their own cobra from a stock GT, but then they would have to replace the entire rear end, and could possibly put the 4V heads on the 4.6L mod motor already in place. Yes, the 4.6L in the GT can accept all of the cobra parts easily. You could even install a crate 4v motor that looks the same. The additional cost of doing just that does not make any sence since the gains from selling a used car with the mentioned parts would be a total wash. However, if and when these cars become collector items, it will make a difference. The 99 and 01 sort of sit in there own class especially since they were built in a far less quantity as compared to the 03-04 models. That is one reason I will not trade my 01 Cobra. It is a keeper. I ran my vin munbers and sure enough it is a real Cobra (I was skeptical at first since the dealership I bought it from is shady enought to convert a GT into a cobra, besides that I bought mine new. I ran the numbers for two reasons, 1: I never got the certificate of authenticity, 2: It was manufactured in October of 2001 and I was told that the build dates were in June and August only.)