PDA

View Full Version : Have you had any issues using Mobil 1?

96MysticSVT
06-11-2004, 11:28 AM
I have been using Mobil 1 in my 96 Cobra and in my '00 5.4L Expedition for the past 3 oil changes in each. Both vehicles are daily drivers for me and my wife. I will get on the throttle in the Cobra every now and then, but my wife babys the Expedition when she drives. I have noticed when I change the oil (at 3,000 miles religiously) the Cobra averages about 1.5 quarts low, and the Expedition measures about 2 quarts low.

Has anyone else experienced this issue when using Mobil 1? Any ideas on what might be causing this. If it was happening in one vehicle and not the other I wouldn't think it was the oil, but since it is happening in both, I'm beginning to wonder about using Mobil 1.:dunno:

redsnake99
06-11-2004, 01:19 PM
I've used Mobil 1 synthetic oil (5W30)in my 99 Cobra since I got it. Now has 107,000 miles on it. I change it every 5,000 miles. Doesn't lose any between oil changes. Not sure what's up with your car.

:dunno:

16yrCobraOwner
06-22-2004, 11:05 PM
umm ive lost some oil, maybe 1qt... or 2

i noticed it was low about 1 week after i changed the oil.. i heard if synthetics werent used as the break-in oil, then u switch to syn. oil it fills in the pits and scars and scratches that are there.. dunno how tru that is but guess its a thought..:bounce:

Lumpydogs
06-24-2004, 11:06 AM
My dumb questions are: Did you change your oil filter? How
do you know you were low on oil. Did you pour the used oil back into
the bottles? From experience, I know it is real easy to loose a quart
of oil between small spills during the change, a little running down
your arm, some oil left in the oil filter, some oil left in the drain pan and
over filling the oil bottles.

Just a thought. If your vehicles are a quart or more low, you would have
noticed on the dipsticks prior to changing the oil. :D

p.s. I have been using Mobile 1 0W-30 full synthetic with no problems.

16yrCobraOwner
06-24-2004, 11:10 PM
i mean chirst man, i dont think were all that dumb, some of us yes, but seriously, i full got all the oil out ( i think ) and i did change the filter, and my dipstick shows oil loss. the cars oil was chaged on a shop lift, and all oil was drained. dont know. but u do have good points.:p

Lumpydogs
06-25-2004, 12:11 PM
No slams intended. :thumbsup:

tcrews
06-25-2004, 09:45 PM
i mean chirst man, i dont think were all that dumb, some of us yes, but seriously, i full got all the oil out ( i think ) and i did change the filter, and my dipstick shows oil loss. the cars oil was chaged on a shop lift, and all oil was drained. dont know. but u do have good points.:p

Something to keep in mind. These 4V heads hold oil in them for hours after turning the engine off. You could easily read low on oil if you check the dipstick after having the engine on for a while. The oil will be sitting in the heads and not the oilpan so it's hard to tell. Always check the oil with at least 3-4 hours of the car just sitting off. Best time is to check it in the mornings before starting the car.

01BlueCOBRA
07-22-2004, 01:28 AM
No issue with the Mobil 1 . i run 5w30. changed every 3k miles. :)

01BlueCOBRA
07-22-2004, 01:33 AM
try Royal Purple 5w20.

GUMBALL
07-23-2004, 03:34 PM
I have used Mobil 1 in everything from my tow vehicle, to my street toys, to an Ilmor engined CART Indycar, and never had a problem..............:thumbsup:

ausie
07-25-2004, 02:16 PM
The only issue I ever had using Moble 1 was it caused a nasty rattle sound when starting up when the motor is cold. Piston slap? not really sure. The loss of oil may be related to the fact that most synthetic oils flow better than conventional oils for which you are getting oil blow by in the cylinders. I would check the spark plugs for signes of burning oil. Also some syntetic oils have a longer cling time on parts as compared to conventional motor oils. Best to check oil levels when the motor is cold.

I only used mobil 1 twice, and the last time it only took 1000 miles to loose two quarts. Since I have changed to a different brand of synthetic (AMSOIL) which also seems to dissapear but not as fast (3000 miles before I have to add any, that is if I plan on changing the oil at 5000 miles).

Some oils slosh around more than others, and it is probable that your oil consumption is related to oil transfer through the PCV valve getting sucked into your intake plenum. I have noticed oil in the breather hose connected to the intake plubing and in the PCV lines.

I guess mobil 1 is okay to use, but I did not care much for that fact that it turns black within 500 miles. I do know that the color of the oil does not really mean that it is bad, but since other oils I have used do not change color as rapidly as the mobil 1 oil, I suspect that it brakes down faster than others do.

ausie
07-25-2004, 02:19 PM
My dumb questions are: Did you change your oil filter? How
do you know you were low on oil. Did you pour the used oil back into
the bottles? From experience, I know it is real easy to loose a quart
of oil between small spills during the change, a little running down
your arm, some oil left in the oil filter, some oil left in the drain pan and
over filling the oil bottles.

Just a thought. If your vehicles are a quart or more low, you would have
noticed on the dipsticks prior to changing the oil. :D

p.s. I have been using Mobile 1 0W-30 full synthetic with no problems.
:thumbsup: now that is funny!

GUMBALL
07-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Unless you are getting oil temperatures of more than 350 degrees, it is unlikely that your Mobil 1 is breaking down.......:)

ausie
07-28-2004, 07:07 AM
I do not think the temsp get that hot, if they did I would be having more problems than just black oil. However, the first time I used it I was impressed. At 3000 miles everything was the way it should be. The next time I went to used Mobil 1, they changed the formulation and added what they called "wear guard". I may have becomed biased against Mobil 1 since when I started using it, the motor developed carbon build up. Also on the second oil change, the engine started to consume oil (that was at 6k miles). Along with rattling sound one would describe as piston slap on cold starts. I have heard that some synthetic lubricants will disolve carbon fibre components in transmissions, and possibly any anti-friction coatings used on pistons. At that point I switched back to conventional motor oils. Around that time, a friend of mine became an AMSOIL dealer so I tried the series 2000 oils. As for the carbon build up, that was more or less attributed to the aftermarket CAI I put on the car which caused it to run lean. As for the random occurance of the rattle, that never went away but it occurs less frequently over the past 6 months. What I think helped the rattle is that I switched back to conventional oil for the last part of the summer last year and did not change back to synthetics until mid spring. The rattle was far more apparent with Mobil 1 5w-20 than the amsoil 20w-50. I do not hear it with 0w-30 so I will stick with that grade for the time being. I read somewhere that Mobil 1 and AMSOIL users find this a common side affect in the 4.6L mustangs. Perhaps it is associated with the additives that are in the oil? The rattle on cold starts (usually under load after driving a few miles) was more noticiable with the Mobil 1 than the AMSOIL but it was still there with AMSOIL. Since I have switched to a different grade oil that is lacking the additives (which increases cling time) I no longer hear the rattle. It probably does not matter which oil you use. I will not make any claims to what oils is better than the other. As long as you maintain a good maintance schedule and practice, your motor should last a long time (give or take a few years due to design flaws that FORD may have put in the motor). I wonder how good other products are like royal purple or red-line? Actually there is nothing wrong with conventional motor oils either. There are some good ones out there, but trying to determine which ones cause the least amount of wear is the problem.

BigRedMachine
08-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Just changed over to Mobil 1 synthetic two oil changes ago. Change every 3 months or 3,000 miles. No prblems here. 85,000 on the clock of my 96.

flynfink
08-18-2004, 07:01 PM
umm ive lost some oil, maybe 1qt... or 2

i noticed it was low about 1 week after i changed the oil.. i heard if synthetics werent used as the break-in oil, then u switch to syn. oil it fills in the pits and scars and scratches that are there.. dunno how tru that is but guess its a thought..:bounce:

Sorry but oil will NOT solidfy and fill scratches... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Use synthetics in all of my cars and motorcycles.Have for years and will continue to do so. each engine will vary in the consumtion of oil, but it won't matter significantly if theoil is synthetic or "regular".

BTW, I've used mobil 1 and Valvoline synths and prefer the Valvoline. Why? Because they support the SCCA runoffs and have for a long time..