PDA

View Full Version : Ever hear of a tire/rim warranty

rdefino
06-14-2004, 10:07 AM
I just bought a new left over 2003 cobra. Great car. They offered me a 5yr $399.00 tire/rim warranty/ If any damage happens to the tire or rim, left will replace for free. Have any of you heard of this? Is it a gimmic or something?

Thanks
ron

Firme
06-14-2004, 11:38 AM
I just bought a new left over 2003 cobra. Great car. They offered me a 5yr $399.00 tire/rim warranty/ If any damage happens to the tire or rim, left will replace for free. Have any of you heard of this? Is it a gimmic or something?

Thanks
ron

They offered that to me when I bought my 01. Its like the road hazard you get from Discount Tire, but it covers the wheels also, but I don't remember to what extent (IE, covering curb rash versus covering wheel damage caused by blowouts only). Its like any additional purchased warranty I guess, you gamble whether it would ever be used, and whether they will agree to cover problems or give you the run around.

One thing is for sure.. most Cobra's stock tires barely last 10k miles, so unless that carries over to new tires purchased, then its worthless (also, they might make you buy tires from a dealershp which can get expensive)

I opted not to get that, as most don't, I suspect.

rpalmer
06-14-2004, 10:27 PM
For $399 you could probably easily purchase a brand new replacement wheel and tire. Do you think you're likely to go through more than one tire/wheel set in the next 5 years?

And is the tire replacement pro-rated? If you only have 20% of the tread left when you have a blow out, do they pay 100% towards a new tire or only 20%?

-RP