PDA

View Full Version : WHAT MODS NEXT?! 98 cobra

16yrCobraOwner
06-16-2004, 12:53 AM
hey i have installed a k&n, 3.73 gears and i ordered a UPR o/o x pipe. i ordered the pipe before i did any research, but now i learned. anyway, what mods should be next i was thinking of sometype of intake or something else. anyone suggest anything? i want to get exhaust sooner or later but i dont have that kinda of money yet, im bustin my ass :bounce:try to jus pay the car off . and if im going to do exhuast im going to do it all at once. but i wanan get the lil things done. please respond asap. thanks to all that respond. i jus love these forums..:D

thanks.
anthony

tcrews
06-16-2004, 08:07 AM
I would have suggested 4.10 gears at a minimum, preferrably 4.30s. These cars love gear. Offroad exhaust (X or H pipe), underdrive pulleys (3 piece, non piggyback style), and the JLT CAI system http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/ and of course a short throw shifter (Steeda Tri-ax or Pro5.0).

The only components of an exhaust system that will give you any power will be headers and the midpipe. For your year car the stock catback is very free flowing and only buy an aftermarket catback for sound/looks.

16yrCobraOwner
06-16-2004, 09:37 AM
ok, so now i need to get a set of headers... so your sayin go even high with my gears? now will these gears make my mpg very poor? casue i plan to supercharge my car sometime next year, i need to save money. and i was looking at the JLT CAI... and im guessin its as good as he says huh? are there any websites that are cheap online for parts? if so please let me know! thanks :D

again i appericate all that respond

anthony:thumbsup:

16yrCobraOwner
06-16-2004, 09:58 AM
what about timing adjusters, headers and a chip?? whats the best brand (your opnion) for each of them mods and should those mods be done?

thnks for the help.. this is my only help sorce:(

Yeller'
06-16-2004, 10:35 AM
If it were me.......

Steeda pullies
Pro 5.0 shifter
Steeda sport springs
Tokico 5 way adj. shocks/struts
cold air kit of your choice
battery relocation to the trunk
JBA shortie headers
and tie it all together with a custom chip! :bounce:

.. this is my only help sorce

Not for long......

www.cornercarvers.com **** (be very careful with this one!!)
www.svtperformance.com ***
www.corral.net ***
www.kenne-bell.com **
www.stangnet.com **
www.modularfords.com *
www.modulardepot.com *

Enjoy! :D

Yeller'
06-16-2004, 10:41 AM
double post.... :baby:

tcrews
06-16-2004, 01:13 PM
ok, so now i need to get a set of headers... so your sayin go even high with my gears? now will these gears make my mpg very poor? casue i plan to supercharge my car sometime next year, i need to save money. and i was looking at the JLT CAI... and im guessin its as good as he says huh? are there any websites that are cheap online for parts? if so please let me know! thanks :D

again i appericate all that respond

Well for starters, what do you intend to do with the car? Just drive it to work, on the street, etc... or take it to the dragstrip or to an auto-cross/roadcourse event? A little of all, more of one than the others???? Figure out your goals with the car because each require different mods.....some mods work in all settings, others can hurt one while helping another, etc....

If you want to supercharge in the future...forget about things like timing adjusters, underdrive pulleys, CAI's, etc....as they'll all be coming back off the car when the supercharger goes on. Don't spend money for something you won't need later.

Chips are worthless until you have LOTS of mods....and I mean LOTS (more than exhaust or pulleys.....either engine internal work or supercharger/turbocharger/nitrous or every single bolt on available and you're running rich or lean and need to have that tuned out).

Gears really won't affect your mileage that much as the engine hums along at high rpm with very little effort. City driving mileage may increase because you can match rpms better (can drive 35mph city in 5th instead of doing it in 4th) and the car will feel so much more responsive. With stock 3.27s I get around 23mpg on my stock '98. Before my '97 became as modded as it is I was getting about the same mpg with 4.10s.
I'm not a fan of 3.73's on these cars because they just don't change the torque multiplication enough from the stock gears. The 4.x number gears do.

tcrews
06-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Oh yeah...and I'm running 4.10 gears in a supercharged Cobra making 570 rwhp....so 4.10s aren't something to worry about. There are a lot of people running 4.56 and superchargers....though they have worked more on their suspension for hard drag launches and/or run slicks.

16yrCobraOwner
06-16-2004, 05:23 PM
damn thanks to both of ya. more info the better :p

thanks.

smashedheadcat
06-16-2004, 07:53 PM
www.cornercarvers.com **** (be very careful with this one!!)
www.svtperformance.com ***
www.corral.net ***
www.kenne-bell.com **
www.stangnet.com **
www.modularfords.com *
www.modulardepot.com *

Enjoy! :D

Be very careful in corner carvers....... They'll unleash the dogs in a hurry there.

Svtperformance is a great site with tons of info. I don't post there much, but I read a lot there.

The corral is the place to go if you like numbers. By numbers, I mean there are tons of people there, and chances are, your questions have been asked, and answered multiple times...... great site, if you can deal with how SLOOOOOOOOOW it is.

Modularfords.com has most of the "heavy hitters" on it. Mainly, the 03-04 cobra guys. Great info there, but is lacking in quantity in the 4V Modular section.

Modulardepot.com...... awesome site, great group of people. (I am a founding member there as well), but the site is mostly 2valve GT heavy hitters. But the guys there know there stuff, and will help with just about anything. Big thing is........ do a search before posting. Just about every message board has everything right in the search engine... Good luck out there, and post away. Meet new people online, and make friends, and make our cars fast........ I love the internet... !!

16yrCobraOwner
06-16-2004, 11:27 PM
ive been to all the sites except carving corner.com hwo come i gota be careful there?? lol anyway, ive been to the, site and posted, but no one answers. not many people answer here either, but more and when they answer its full post not bullshit ones u usually see.
thnks to all:thumbsup: anthony

Yeller'
06-17-2004, 09:56 AM
ive been to all the sites except carving corner.com hwo come i gota be careful there?? anthony

I suggest you do nothing but read posts for a while to get the feel of the site, if you post something remedial like "what springs are best?" or something too general like "how do I make my car handle?", they will pile on you calling you things that would make a Tijuana hooker blush. As an added bonus, when they are all done slamming you, you will be banned.

Meaning: It's not a site for novice Mustangers (like you) or even intermediate Mustangers (like me), the guys there really know their stuff, and if you don't...they're arrogant enough to point it out and sadistic enough to get a kick out of it.

The intent of such behavior is to keep away all the novice Mustangers that very often give bad advice and keep the boards crammed with remedial questions (like most other car-forums).

That being said, when you want to know the definate correct answer to your suspension question...its the only place to go.

16yrCobraOwner
06-17-2004, 12:44 PM
ya i fully understand the whole deal, but people gota learn someway, guess thats why theres a search ahha

anthony:bounce:

White98SVT
06-17-2004, 03:56 PM
Check out www.fordpower.net also. There's a great bunch of guys and girls and some decent info on there. also www.modular4v.com which is a great technical site just not very fast moving.