PDA

View Full Version : Road Atlanta - AI report

98banana
06-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Okay, the subject is misleading because I don't have enough facts for a real report...

I showed up just before qualifying to watch the AI guys run. Qualifying ended with a huge rain shower blowing through. The shower lasted all of 2 minutes and the track dried up for the rest of the day. Shugg said he came over the hill at turn 11 and drove into a wall of rain. Everything just dissappeared. Freaky!

There was a lot of cars in the big bore race. I have no idea what the numbers were, but there were probably 10-15 AI/AIX cars, 5-10 CMC cars, about 6 BMWs and I think 6 FFR's. Somebody correct those numbers for me...

There was a black firebird AIX car and a Volvo-BMW (a BWM with Volvo labels???) that just tore up the field. The start was one of the most impressive shows of power I've seen. They duked it out at the front until about 3 laps from the end where the firebird took an extra 30 seconds or so to come around. We're guessing he went off. I'm pretty sure he still won AIX and am also pretty sure he still took second over all.

I'm also pretty sure Shugg won the AI group. Unfortunately, I have no idea who else placed where. From what I could tell, there was some real good racing with quite a bit of action in turn 1. It looked pretty clean as well.

Anyway, hopefully somebody can add to this lame report with some actual data. I know Jimmy and I had a blast watching and it was really good to see everybody again. I even got a surprise in seeing Steve Ragen there. His car has come a long way! It's looking real good. I'm also glad to see his dad gave up the Miata for a "real" car. :D

Okay, I'm off to rub aloe on my bald sunburnt head now...

kevin
06-20-2004, 07:33 PM
sounds like it was great fun to watch.

congrats to shugg.

so when you going back to race tom

98banana
06-20-2004, 07:54 PM
so when you going back to race tom

It'll be a while. I finally sold my company a few months back and have a "normal" job again, so maybe I can get started pretty soon. I have a '79 coupe in the garage waiting for me to get to work on, so maybe next year.

Right now, I'm having fun watching you guys spend all the money. :D

sn8kbit
06-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Shugg placed 1st both days. Sunday's race was close. The orange mod motored AI car was leading until what looked like a mech failure in the front straight (Brian Smith maybe?). Couple of offs, one by that bad ass firechicken, and another AI in the tire wall at 7. All in all, an excellent weekend.

Tom, great to see ya again, even for a short bit. And after 3 years of talking smack, I finally got some seat time with Shugg. Don't know if it was good or bad, he signed me off and ran away screaming.....LOL

justagt
06-22-2004, 11:20 AM
The orange mod motored AI car was leading until what looked like a mech failure in the front straight (Brian Smith maybe?).

right, that is Brian Smith out of Richmond. However, we AI types affectionately know him as Princess or Swaybar Smith. :cool:

wildhorsesracin
06-22-2004, 04:51 PM
right, that is Brian Smith out of Richmond. However, we AI types affectionately know him as Princess or Swaybar Smith. :cool:

That's right! He was wearing his 'princess' plate wasn't he? :eek:

Anyone get a picture? :D

BOC- Beau
06-22-2004, 06:52 PM
So there we were flying through the downhill esses. Brian Smith is right in front of me, Shugg is right behind me, and all I can think of is the tag on the back of Smith's car. Does that say princess? HUH. :scratch:

johnbasf
07-02-2004, 08:03 PM
I think Beau like getting trophies. :cool: http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2004jun19/awards/images/IMG_2512_JPG.jpg

2KWhiteSnake
07-03-2004, 01:04 AM
I think Beau like getting trophies. :cool: http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2004jun19/awards/images/IMG_2512_JPG.jpg

http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2004jun19/awards/images/IMG_2514_JPG.jpg

Which ass is Pantas looking at? I think Shugg can feel that stare :eek:

Anyway, congrats to Shugg and everyone else. Sounds like it was a solid weekend.

Craig

wildhorsesracin
07-03-2004, 12:29 PM
http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2004jun19/awards/images/IMG_2514_JPG.jpg

Which ass is Pantas looking at? I think Shugg can feel that stare :eek:

The sad part about it is that I am not even looking at Bobbie :eek: in that pic - I was actually drooling :flip: over all the Valvoline Race Oil we were giving away ! :thumbsup: :rotf:

timz06
07-26-2004, 08:33 PM
Are the results posted somewhere? I was interested to see what kind of times the AI and AIX boys are running at RA (to compare with my own times of course!)

Tim

svt_coupe
07-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Are the results posted somewhere?

I'm not totally certain what some of the other times were, but I ran a 1:42.0xx (think it was an .016) on Saturday. It was my first time there with the AI car. Sunday's race was a bit hectic. I think you would have seen times fall but, a red flag early on and mechanical troubles prevented people from running top notch times.

After some discussion with a few RA veterans and learning where I lost time (that track is COMPLEX!!), we think AI times should be able to get into the 1:38's.

timz06
07-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Bryan, that is a pretty good time. I have been able to get down into the 1:41's, but I don't see myself going any faster than that. I know I could pick up a little on turn 12, but I don't think it is worth the risk. I know the T1 corvette record is around 1:39. If you guys can get to a 1:38 your cars are getting extremely fast.

What was the full course vir time for AI/AIX? I got a 2:12.4 last time, I was pretty happy with that. There was a T1 vette there who helped me out a lot. He set the T1 record at 2:09.

Are you going to NASA at RA in August? I would like to run with them in the HPDE, and then attend their instructor training in Sept. to get on with them as an instructor. I've done quite a few laps at RA.

Tim

98banana
07-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Bryan, that is a pretty good time. I have been able to get down into the 1:41's, but I don't see myself going any faster than that. I know I could pick up a little on turn 12, but I don't think it is worth the risk. I know the T1 corvette record is around 1:39. If you guys can get to a 1:38 your cars are getting extremely fast.

Take it from one that knows... DO NOT PUSH TURN 12!!! :D

When I had my little accident, I was running unofficial 1:40 with somebody else timing. That's also with one wheel peel. I was on the way to breaking 1:40 when turn 12 bit. :eek:

timz06
07-27-2004, 12:02 PM
Did you have a bad crash in turn 12?

98banana
07-27-2004, 12:06 PM
Did you have a bad crash in turn 12?
You haven't heard of the banana incident? :D

Here's a link on cc.com: http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2777

timz06
07-27-2004, 02:11 PM
That was a pretty bad wreck. I always short shift my car into 4th right as I go under the bridge so I can get the car stable for the turn. Road atlanta is a fun track but you can wreck in turn 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 12.

98banana
07-27-2004, 03:42 PM
That was a pretty bad wreck. I always short shift my car into 4th right as I go under the bridge so I can get the car stable for the turn. Road atlanta is a fun track but you can wreck in turn 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 12.

I would normally shift to 4th coming out of the turn, but the red mist had set in and I was trying to catch the Porsche. In that particular lap, I was going much faster through 12, and I was afraid of hitting the rev-limiter in 3rd, so I went ahead and shifted. I had done it before, but that time it wouldn't go into 4th. Live and learn...

racercosmo
07-29-2004, 11:37 PM

What was the full course vir time for AI/AIX? I got a 2:12.4 last time, I was pretty happy with that. There was a T1 vette there who helped me out a lot. He set the T1 record at 2:09.

Are you going to NASA at RA in August? I would like to run with them in the HPDE, and then attend their instructor training in Sept. to get on with them as an instructor. I've done quite a few laps at RA.

TimI believe Guy Cunningham did a 2:08 last year at VIR. The AIX guys were down in the 2:04s.

johnbasf
07-30-2004, 07:11 PM
I thought Guy was AIX there last year. ;)

racercosmo
07-31-2004, 12:14 PM
I thought Guy was AIX there last year. ;)
Not with 320 hp.