PDA

View Full Version : Drag Strip

My Cobra
06-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Ok My friend and i are always debating on weather traction control is a good thing. what do you guys/girls think? when you are at the strip do you use it? Turn it off? What are the advantages and disadvantage?

tcrews
06-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Turn it OFF. It pulls timing to reduce your wheelspin so that you aren't making enough power to "overpower" the tire/road traction. It's a very bad thing to leave it on, you'll run slower.

Ok My friend and i are always debating on weather traction control is a good thing. what do you guys/girls think? when you are at the strip do you use it? Turn it off? What are the advantages and disadvantage?

97whitevert
06-20-2004, 06:34 PM
i agree with the great one --mr crews.... :D not only what he said- but have you tried to launch with it on?!?! :eek: :eek: you'll think you broke

My Cobra
06-20-2004, 07:56 PM
ha ha yes. I have tried it both ways. I have a camaro also (not sure if i am allowed to say that name here lol) but it does not have the traction control button. So i was unsure i thought it woudl be stupid to have it on. Also i have never taken my cobra to the track and i am goign to on friday. I have taken off traction control and did about a 2k launch all it did was burn the tires. should i just turn it off and go from the idel RPM's I am racing my friends LT1 for some serious bragging rights. we talk trash all the time and are gonna solve it on friday. thanks for the input. so what kind of launches do you guys do? idel ? 2k? 3k? I know power band is high but i do not want to killy my tranny and also would like to have some tires to drive home on. lol

tcrews
06-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Launching depends on what type tires you are on (street, dragradials, slicks) and how well the track is prepped. With street tires and a relatively stock car you do not dump the clutch at any rpm....you need to ride it while "walking" the car out of the hole. Do not use the waterbox and do not do a burnout. Drop rear tire pressure slightly as street tires have stiffer sidewalls and do not flex like DR's or Slicks. Drop to maybe 24 psi and then just do a quick spin to clean the tires off. At the line, bring the revs up and when the last yellow trips ease the clutch up and feel it out. The car should move forward and the more it moves the more clutch you let out and the more gas you start to give.

What type gears do you have? Stock (3.27), or something else. That can also affect your launch as if you bog a little with numerically higher gears you have an easier (quicker) chance of recovering from a bog. A little spin is good off the line.....

Me personally, I don't want to hurt my tranny so I always come out from just above idle with mild clutch riding...

ha ha yes. I have tried it both ways. I have a camaro also (not sure if i am allowed to say that name here lol) but it does not have the traction control button. So i was unsure i thought it woudl be stupid to have it on. Also i have never taken my cobra to the track and i am goign to on friday. I have taken off traction control and did about a 2k launch all it did was burn the tires. should i just turn it off and go from the idel RPM's I am racing my friends LT1 for some serious bragging rights. we talk trash all the time and are gonna solve it on friday. thanks for the input. so what kind of launches do you guys do? idel ? 2k? 3k? I know power band is high but i do not want to killy my tranny and also would like to have some tires to drive home on. lol

My Cobra
06-20-2004, 09:44 PM
ok cool yea i have stock gears. i see the gears are not too expensive but i do not know how to put them in so it woudl cost me probley double the price to have them put in. so i kept stock ones. yea i never really understood why people "warmed up" street tires. lol