PDA

View Full Version : Mystic paint flake?

venomous
06-29-2004, 09:25 PM
The other day I went and looked at a 1996 mystic cobra for sale. When I got there I was really disappointed. The front and rear bumper's clear coat or mystic paint was flaking off and was not taken care of at all. The man told me it was normal for the mystic paint to peel off like that after time. I thought it funny for a car's paint to flake like that after only 62k miles. Looked as though he had washed it with acid 4 or 5 times. I did not believe him about the paint, but I wanted to ask ya'll before I conclude him as a liar. Has any other mystic owners had this problem??? Thanks for any help.

johnbasf
06-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Not me.

Lumpydogs
06-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Is it possible that the bumpers were re-painted? My Mineral Grey
was repainted by a Ford Dealership after someone scraped me in
a parking lot. Anyway, less than six months after the re-paint the
clearcoat began flaking off. Turns out they only prepared the area
around the damage but sprayed the entire flat surface.

Just a thought!

venomous
06-30-2004, 12:10 AM
I doubt the car had ever been repainted. When I talked to the man on the phone he said that it had been garaged and well cared for. When I got there there was no garage and the paint felt like sandpaper. The interior was badly faded, and the leather seats were so dry they felt as though they would crack at any moment. This car took the "Special" out of SVT. :(

Mystic Cobra
06-30-2004, 12:26 PM
It sounds to be like a car that has been abused or at least not well maintained.

I have never heard of any problem with the Mystic paint. You might contact some of the folks at http://www.mysticcobra.net and see if they have any input.